Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New vs used boat - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 01:23 PM
Keeper

I was in pretty much the same position last year. It was time for a repower at least. If you’re spending 10-12k for a motor it made sense to look at newer and possibly longer hulls as well. Looking at boats in the 25k range, there just wasn’t a lot of value there. Putting the same amount down on a new boat that was built to the specs I wanted was worth borrowing IMO. Especially with interest rates considerably lower than investment returns.

That being said, the total number borrowed was probably about 1/2 of what you would need for the boat you’re targeting, and I plan to keep it for a few decades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 01:28 PM
go for it

Default go for it

Go new. Here's the way I see it, you're 62. In another 15-20 years the games are over for the most part. Just think, 15-20 years ago wasn't all that long ago. Time is running very very short, enjoy it!!!
Old 02-16-2020, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

BH ,
Ask yourself, how are you going to use the boat.
Ask yourself how many hours per year you are going to use the boat.

Then, by using these facts, divide your potential cost by the potential number of hours of use per year, as well as the total numbers of hours you expect to use the boat over your years of boat ownership.

Now, when you look at the numbers - is the cost per hour of usage - worth it to you?

--------------------------------
You say that you wanted to purchase a ranger.

Are you positive in your choice of brands? There are lots of very wonderful boats out there that do not have the name of Ranger on them.

At the end of the day, it is your money, it is your life, it is your choice.

Make the best choice for you, your family and by extension the quality of life for the next 40 years down the road.

Best wishes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 01:52 PM
Wallhanger

Buy 1 of each and take back the 1 you don’t like as much as the “keeper”.

Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 02-16-2020, 02:03 PM
Wallhanger

I've been in the buy new camp, for a long time, but it's my money, and don't ever buy what I can't afford, and never pay interest to the bank. Really not right for someone else to tell you how to spend your money, but then again, you did ask. If buying new, you might want to consider downsizing you new boat idea to a Ranger 620 cup version. They can be had for about $80,000 or less, and are a really nice boat. Not only that, they will fit in a garage much easier than the 622. The 622 is going to take about a 28' deep garage, where a 620 will easily fit in a 26' garage. You do not want to be parking these boats outside, long term, good cover or not. That would put you about $20,000 less than the 622. You would still have a substantial loan though. I'm a few years older than you, but will admit to splurging on things lately, as I realize that now is the time to enjoy life a bit. If you are not totally set on a Ranger, you can get a new Skeeter 2060 with kicker and electronics, for around $70,000 or maybe a little less. Or if you want a 22' Skeeter, They can be had for close to $80,000, and come with a kicker and electronics. Full disclosure, I purchased a 22' Skeeter last year, and although my options were extensive, it wasn't too much more. My Skeeter is a fantastic boat, but quite honestly there are a lot of fantastic boats out there. Just trying to point out that there are less expensive options out there for really nice new boats.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Can pay cash for a 30k boat, puts me into 2005 or so boat, 15 years old boat
You get 1 guess on who the happiest party in that transaction is.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:24 PM
Wallhanger

Forget the Ranger ! Go with a Lund !
Old 02-16-2020, 04:26 PM
Wallhanger

In between imo
A boat two years old or so. Some warranty left, low hours on the motor and initial depreciation taken out. Should save 15-20k.
BT terrova link
Old 02-16-2020, 06:55 PM
Wallhanger

Unless you have a burning desire to own a new $100K Ranger why not spend $50K on a really nice boat and use the other $50K to pay for some really great trips for salt, Alaska and other locations. If you have the travel covered, then what is the question.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

I’m your age. 10 years ago I bought a 3 year old boat thinking that this is my last boat. About 5 years ago I was thinking maybe one more boat, I’m feeling like I’m still in my 40’s. Then... one thing led to another health wise and now it doesn’t take much of an excuse to stay on shore. Fishing was and still is my life but even I’m amazed how fast that old feeling can fade. I’m not saying to live like your dying but maybe back off your expectations a bit. Right now if I didn’t have cash in hand to buy a boat I would be leaving it to my survivor (s) to pay it off.
HB Helix 12 SI
112Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
Noco Genius Battery Chargers
w5