Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Meal Planning on a trip - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-11-2020, 12:18 PM
Keeper

Funny this topic should come up. Attached is what I received for planning purposes for a June trip to Canada.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Meals.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	315712  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 01:35 PM
Slot Fish

Outside of bringing 10 lbs of steak jerky, candy bars and snacks for late night. I'll let the resort do the cooking. The resort in Canada we frequent serves food until 10 and we can order ahead and re-heat if fishing late. The resort bar/diner is open until 1am or later if busy. They open early for breakfast sammies and coffee, about 6am I believe. By 7am full menu and the bar is open.

By then I'm way into my first or second drift.

If at a stand alone cabin, then it's a standard grocery store run that includes just about everything for meals, and snacks. Then frequent quick mart runs for whatever the kids gotstahaves.

I always have to have cookies around. I hide them in the boat with the candy. Jerky in the boat for sure.

Some great ideas on new things to try out here..
Old 02-11-2020, 04:48 PM
Minnow

Breakfast is on the run. Bagels, Granola bars, banana's etc. Lunch is our big meal of the day. Surf and Turf, burgers, brats, fish, more fish, roasted potatoes, etc. Supper is easy b/c we normailly fish until 8:30ish. Sandwiches, frozen pizza, left overs. Hope ya'll have a great year this year. Tight lines!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 06:43 AM
Slot Fish

I’m going on my 3rd fly-in this June. We try to keep it simple for obvious reasons. For one, we don’t really eat breakfast. Lunch consists of cold cuts and quick stuff like that. Dinner, however, is when we cook legit meals, such as burgers, venison, fried walleye, etc. No doubt being at any camp calls for good food, but between weight/space restrictions and wanting to fish as much as possible, we keep it simple.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:47 AM
Keeper

Some great responses
I dont think we have tried BBQ sauce on the bacon wrapped walleye but will give it a whirl this year on Miniss
In general we are in the keep it simple and hardy group - one thing we really liked on our last trip was bringing a bunch of little candy bars - like the kind you get a walmart for a $1. They were a hit at lunch time as a nice pick me up
Cheers and thanks for all of the replies
Andrew
Old 02-12-2020, 09:50 AM
Keeper

I agree on the great responses. Our group is older and some in the group have had 30+ trips so we do not rush to get out first thing in the morning. Sometimes its 9:30 before we hit the water. For us it's just as much about the relaxation and experience/scenery as it is the fishing.
That said I do like the bacon wrapped walleye idea and the dried hash browns are an awesome idea if they are as good as advertised. One question I do have on outfitter flying beer or oil and beans, etc. in ahead of time.....I bring my own beer usually and pay the duty and then buy a case or two of Kokanee (we pronounce COCAINee because one just makes me want another) because it is still cheaper. Does the outfitter not charge you to fly it in ahead of time, and is it cost effective as compared to bringing you own? For the most part I'm the only beer drinker in our group so I'll generally take 4 cases for me then the rest of the group may have 3 cases between them so we may have a total of 7-8 cases.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy63 View Post
I agree on the great responses. Our group is older and some in the group have had 30+ trips so we do not rush to get out first thing in the morning. Sometimes its 9:30 before we hit the water. For us it's just as much about the relaxation and experience/scenery as it is the fishing.
That said I do like the bacon wrapped walleye idea and the dried hash browns are an awesome idea if they are as good as advertised. One question I do have on outfitter flying beer or oil and beans, etc. in ahead of time.....I bring my own beer usually and pay the duty and then buy a case or two of Kokanee (we pronounce COCAINee because one just makes me want another) because it is still cheaper. Does the outfitter not charge you to fly it in ahead of time, and is it cost effective as compared to bringing you own? For the most part I'm the only beer drinker in our group so I'll generally take 4 cases for me then the rest of the group may have 3 cases between them so we may have a total of 7-8 cases.
Our outfitter did not charge us for anything that he delivered prior to our arrival because he was on a routine mid-week check on the previous group (except for the actual cost of course). We had 12 cases of beer (4 Canadian, 4 Blue, and 4 Kokanee) and 10 gallons of water delivered. We were there for 9 days and popped the last beer open at 11:00 pm on our final evening. How's that for planning? I'm kind of ashamed to admit that we had some bacon left over at the end of the week. Inexcusable, it won't happen again!
Old 02-12-2020, 03:21 PM
Keeper

Great topic! Last year I pre-made and froze some pulled pork that turned out great, but one of my favorites is wrapping filets in tin foil and grilling it. This is super easy, fast, and delicious. I just take the filet and put it on a piece of tin foil, add dashes of garlic powder, garlic salt, lemon pepper, and black pepper. Throw in some strips of onion, bell pepper, and then some butter. Wrap it up and throw on the grill....after 10-15 minutes it's all done and flakey. This is my favorite when I dont want to go through the hassle of frying fish.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:18 PM
Slot Fish

We always make a ham and macaroni salad at home and take that up for the first night's dinner, it also serves to make sandwiches or fried up for breakfast throughout the week. We also make and freeze a giant pan of lasagna. It serves as an ice pack for one of the coolers on the drive up and is a quick reheat on the 2nd night. We'll grill burgers and dogs one night, chicken one night, we plan on fish 2 nights, and a meal at the lodge on the last night. I also plan on a case of water per person per week, we alternate between eggs and cereal for breakfasts and everyone brings their own snacks and other beverages. A quick stop in the closest town to pick up fresh fruit, lettuce/salad stuff, bread, milk and other fresh foods and we are good.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:23 PM
Minnow

Default How about some ethnic fare...

Some great ideas, I will have to look for the dehydrated potatoes. We only fly-in occasionally so weight is generally not a factor and this past year we bought a place on LOW, so cooking is not so difficult as I can stock my own kitchen.

Anybody like teriyaki out there? One of the simplest marinades to make. Don't buy that bottled stuff. This recipe is for about 1 whole chicken cut up. For the best flavor cut into very small pieces, e.g., a drumstick would be cut in half. It is a lot of work to cut up that small, so if you are not into it, buy boneless chicken and cut into smaller pieces. This recipe is very good with salmon and beef too.

1 cup of soy sauce
1 cup of sugar
1 or 2 cloves of garlic peeled and flattened
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp of dried mustard

Stir to dissolve the sugar as much as possible. Marinade the meat at least one hour or overnight (turning once or twice). If you choose a shorter time, consider massaging the marinade into the meat. For oven, 400 degrees for 45-55 mins depending on size of pieces. You do not need to discard the marinade if you bake in the oven. Turn pieces once during cooking. Absolute best is cooking on the grill, sugar burns a bit so watch that, but the crispy, sweet, smoky taste is terrific.

I serve it with plain, white rice. Next morning, dice some bacon, fry til crisp. Throw in leftover, cold rice and enough scrambled eggs to barely cover the slightly broken up rice. Cook until eggs are done. Don't stir too much or the rice will get mushy. I like to serve this with a bit of ketchup.

Enjoy! Oh, only thing I ever took on a fly-in that I regretted was powdered eggs... Yuck! Even the gulls wouldn't eat them!