Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2018 Lund Impact 2 year Review - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-15-2019, 05:45 PM
Keeper

Default 2018 Lund Impact 2 year Review

I thought I would share an honest review of my 2018 1875 Impact. I have had it close to 2 years.
Let me start off with saying there are several makes and models of boats and motors, and I am not trying to influence anyone, nor do I claim to be a great fisherman or boater. Just an average guy that likes to fish and spend time with the family.
1875 Impact. I like the boat. It fits exactly what I was looking for. Size is right for me and my family. I was between a Pro V and the Impact, and for me, the Impact was the correct choice. The Pro V is a nicer boat for sure, but this one works well for me fishing in Kansas and Missouri. I dont fish big water, and yes the Impact is the same size, however I dont claim it to be more of a boat, just the right option for me.
What I like, the step down gunnels, plenty of storage, rod locker, and just the overall layout of the boat. Only 2 things I have had a problem with. 1, helm seat the swivel lever fell off, and I was able to put it on quickly. 2. The glove box screws loosened. and I had to tighten them. Other then that the boat has been spot on.
Trailer, standard shorelander bunk. I like it just fine to load and tow. Do not feel I need a tandem, as I have to move it a little in the garage and single works good for me. What I dont like is that the tongue needs to be about 18 inches longer to launch, loading is no big deal as far as getting my feet wet. Tires on trailer, Carlisle, lasted 5k miles before I went with goodyear, and what a difference. Didnt think about the tires when I bought the pkg.
Mercury 150. It is a nice engine. I prefer it over my 90 merc 2 stroke. Aluminum prop would blow out on turns, so I went with a Tempest 19. Not at all for speed, but to eliminate the blowout. Again, didnt think about that as I I didnt have an issue with my old 90.
Merc 9.9 kicker. It is a lil finicky. The idle screw will not stay set to my liking. Started dieing in neutral and dealer said the idle screw needed adjusted and showed me how to do it if it happened again. Well it seems every time I run the kicker it is off a bit. I have messed with it for 6 weeks and will call the dealer.and ask for a better solution. A new kicker should run with out a screwdriver in my pocket. Again, I should have done the Suzuki fuel injected or the merc 15 pro kicker.
Only other issue is the cranking battery, group 24, would not power 2 helixs, radio, live well without dropping to below 12 volts. Main always started, but I didnt like it. So I added another in parallel and the problem was solved.
All in all I am happy. Thought I would share my experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190613_182734_1560640965904.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	310926  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2019, 10:37 PM
Wallhanger

Nice, thorough review. Glad the boat is everything you want it to be. As far as getting your feet wet- get a pair of hip waders and never worry about it again. Mine go on and off in 10 seconds, one of the best things I've done
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 06-16-2019, 04:09 AM
Wallhanger

Great report -- Thanks
2007 Triton 220 LTS, 225 E-Tec -- sold
2013 Lund 1800 Tyee, 150 Merc 4S -- sold
2015 Lund 2000 Alaskan SS, Mercury 4S 115 CT -- sold
2018 Ranger RP190, 115 Yamaha VMax SHO -- sold

Boatless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 06:19 AM
Wallhanger

Nice review.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:30 AM
loose screws

Default loose screws

I would advise everyone to take some time each fall or spring to go throughout their boat and tighten screws. Lay on your back under the dash as well and try to reach any and all screws. They are notorious for coming loose (and on occasion falling out and then the guessing game is on to figure out where it came from ). Common problem with every boat I've ever owned, and that's quite a few.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Minnow

Nice review. I have a 2012 and it has served me well all these years. I think you made a great decision going with the Impact, especially if you have a younger family (though of course I'm biased). I too enjoy the step down gunnels. It just seems like it opens up the boat and creates so much more room for my kids. They have a pretty good time sitting on them while they're fishing and I really think they and I would miss the extra space if I ever upgraded to a Pro-V. I guess I'll have to hold onto it until they are bigger

Although I agree that a Pro-V would handle big water better, I've had my Impact out on some decent stuff on Lake Champlain and felt safe enough. I've also had it out in really small water and not felt like it was the adventure that I might have if I was trying to launch or retrieve a heavier boat. It's a good balance for sure.

Also, I agree with ltrain on the waders - they just make things a million times easier, especially if you're trying to take your kids out solo.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:05 PM
Slot Fish

I'm right at one year on my 2018 1875 Impact other than screws nuts loose I'm thinking of blue locktight on them but haven't yet just keep tightening them.

And on the glove glove box and most dash screws cheep pos IMO screws have been striped from day one will take it to dealer see what they do before my warranty is up.

All in all no issues on the boat motor trailer yet hope it last I like it what do you all think of this hard to see in pic their is 3 rivots in line under gas cap between gas cap and window frame just down a ways and looks like its pushed out maby a structural brace or something but not sure if was like that since day one or it it just appeared

Thanks and good luck!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190615_125858_1560722526747.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	310946   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190615_125850_1560722552250.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	310948  
Old 06-16-2019, 05:44 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Nice, thorough review. Glad the boat is everything you want it to be. As far as getting your feet wet- get a pair of hip waders and never worry about it again. Mine go on and off in 10 seconds, one of the best things I've done
Yep, I have a pair of knee high rubber boots in the truck. Ez on and off. Just an observation, not a big deal
Old 06-16-2019, 08:08 PM
Keeper

Great review and thanks... I have a 2018 1775 Impact Sport and so far really like it. I only have 10 hours on it or so but it is teamed up with a 115 ProXS and just jumps with a little throttle. I had a 1995 and then a 2012 1875 PRO V and really like this Impact better at this stage of my life. The step down gunnels are easier to step up and out and in and storage from the top is better than opening a side door and dropping down the door and leaning over to get what you need. My 2012 Pro V full windshield was nice and the 150 merc 4 stroke was bullet proof but this Impact is very nice. I am also impressed with the Lund cover and the plastic clips that slide in very easily. This new Impact does have one noticeable concern with windshield being out of alignment slightly when closed. I will have that adjusted at the end of the season...
Old 06-17-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Lund,
You do not say if you are normally going by yourself or with your family when you are boating.
But, it does sound like there is at least one other person with you when you go boating.

Just a thought that works very well for many folks launching boats.

With a bunk trailer, just remove all of the straps, including the winch strap and the safety chain while you are in the parking lot.

Then, hook a 50 foot or so lead rope into the side cleat on your boat - on the side that will be available if you have a dock available at your launching area.

Then, when you get to the launch area, have the assistant get out of the boat and be on the side of the boat to hold the rope as you back the boat into the water. Get the boat about half way in, and then gun it a bit as you back in far enough to float the boat off of the trailer and hit the brakes.

The boat will float free of the trailer and back about a boat length into the launch area as the person holds the boat to keep it from drifting away. They will hold the boat and lead the boat to an appropriate area as you pull ahead and park the car.

No boots needed, no wet feet and you are good to go.

When loading, have the trailer backed in so that the fenders are just underwater. Drive the boat onto the trailer, and walk to the front of the boat, reach down, hook up the winch strap and give the winch a turn to make it tight. Walk back and turn off the engine and motion the driver to pull you and the boat out and up to the parking lot where you can prop the boat from the return trip.

Sounds like a wonderful boat and a great review.

Be safe

P.s.

If worried, you can back your tow vehicle into the water until the exhaust pipe is under water and all will still be well with the tow vehicle. This is assuming that you have a ramp long enough so that the tires are still on a solid footing or sound pavement under the water.
Sometimes with a shallow launch, you need to back in that far to float the boat as needed. Especially with a nice bunk trailer that centers the boat nicely there is not normally any need to get into the water when launching or loading.

Last edited by REW; 06-17-2019 at 09:42 AM.