Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fishing and hunting, either, both - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 11-17-2021, 07:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBin303 View Post
If I had to only choose one trip - hunting or fishing - it would be our annual opening weekend South Dakota pheasant hunt. Everything else is a distant second.

It’s not just the hunting. It’s the entire experience. Friends I see once a year. Lots of birds. And stellar dog work. This year I’m on IR with a arm injury, but it still may have been the best trip yet.
I don't want to hijack the original post but great picture. My last dog was a Weim. He was not only a fantastic hunter but one of the most fun dogs I've owned. If you ever need another hunting buddy in SD..... [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/smirk.gif[/IMG]
Weims are terrible dogs for most people. Way too much drive and energy. But I won’t likely ever have another breed.

Hit me up in September if you’re serious. We usually have room for one more gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2021, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

I hunt deer on my homestead property here, and also use the side by side for bushroad exploring with relatives and partridge hunting. Ice fishing I limit now to just when we go to sister inlaws waterfront home so we have easy access to hot food, beer and deep fryer for the walleye or lake trout. Nice diversion for winter months.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:24 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker525 View Post
20 years ago, I was 70% hunting and 30% fishing. Now I am 95% fishing, and 5% hunting. I lost my desire to hunt for some reason when I came back from Asscrapistan. I still like to shoot, just no desire to actually hunt. Fishing is somewhat cheaper than hunting, and slightly safer then going into the Rocky Mountains with 1000 hunters all very anxious to shoot at something, even if they are all dressed in blaze orange. I am not anti hunter, I am just lazy and don't have the personal desire.

With that being said, my wife, who has NEVER hunted, is all about getting into it. She got to experience the 1st day of deer season in Nebraska last weekend, while we were stopped at a cafe from Walleye fishing. She was talking all the hunters with fresh deer in their pickups to letting her touch the eyeballs, their tongues hanging out, and sticking her finger into the GSW's.

I would not mind going with her to let her shoot a deer or antelope, but she has no idea how much work it can be after the trigger is pulled. She has me putting a winch system in our Nebraska garage so we can some day winch a deer out of the back of our truck. 30 minutes to clean fish or 4 hours cutting up and processing a deer, hmmmmm. I will take fish. LOL
I don't butcher my deer anymore and I cleaned fish for 50+ yrs and now I pretty much refuse to clean fish. old arthritis has come to visit my hands plus I'm just tired of cleaning them anymore.

I still have a love for deer hunting but the main reason that I still hunt deer is my oldest son and his wife hunts with me. the times we spend together at the end of the day are priceless. don't get me wrong I still love my alone time in a tree. It's the company while on stand that keeps me going back, LOL. just kidding, it's the quality time with my oldest son that keeps me going back.

i still love fishing but ever since my little brother died I have had a very hard time finding the get-up and go to make myself go. I do still do a one-week trip to Erie and do a little pond fishing with my granddaughter. I was spending the month of February in fl staying with my sister and her husband. but they moved to tn. my brother n law and I made one trip down and stayed with a nephew the 1st yr after they moved but I'm just too old for spending a month sleeping on a rough couch.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by last chance View Post
I don't butcher my deer anymore and I cleaned fish for 50+ yrs and now I pretty much refuse to clean fish. old arthritis has come to visit my hands plus I'm just tired of cleaning them anymore.

I still have a love for deer hunting but the main reason that I still hunt deer is my oldest son and his wife hunts with me. the times we spend together at the end of the day are priceless. don't get me wrong I still love my alone time in a tree. It's the company while on stand that keeps me going back, LOL. just kidding, it's the quality time with my oldest son that keeps me going back.

i still love fishing but ever since my little brother died I have had a very hard time finding the get-up and go to make myself go. I do still do a one-week trip to Erie and do a little pond fishing with my granddaughter. I was spending the month of February in fl staying with my sister and her husband. but they moved to tn. my brother n law and I made one trip down and stayed with a nephew the 1st yr after they moved but I'm just too old for spending a month sleeping on a rough couch.
Sht I wouldn’t clean them anymore either,just eat’em whole.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckohlt View Post
Sht I wouldn’t clean them anymore either,just eat’em whole.
sounds like the only way to go, LOL.

but I cleaned fish for many yrs for my son and his family. now that I'm turning the cleaning over to my son he got smart and started paying to have them cleaned at the marina, LOL.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:19 PM
Wallhanger

After hauling and butchering 4 deer this weekend, I’ll take cleaning fish any day