Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Comments Wanted on The PWT and The Insider And Others - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 02-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Gary Korsgaden

Default Comments Wanted on The PWT and The Insider And Others

To me it seems like the Infisherman is getting lost in the crowd. The FLW and other tournament circuits are taking the lime light. Any thoughts on the Super Pro series? While waiting one day I cruised through the Insider didn't find any topic of special interest. Except the article on Father and Son duo's. By the most recent numbers the interest and particapation in the sport of fishing is flat or on a slight decline. Speaking with an owner of a major fishing tackle concern, recently, he pointed out that the "niche market of competive angling" is a healthy portion of his business not to dominate but very noticeable. Boat companies,using Ranger as a example, tournament anglers are a huge part of their customer base.
Sometimes margins are lower when selling to the competive angling crowd as these customers want special deals but none the less a important part of their business. To encourage fishing particapation should we refocus our efforts to the entry level angler. $25,000 to $45,000 for a boat may be a turn off. Some food for thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Gary Korsgaden

Default Comments Wanted on The PWT and The Insider And Others

To me it seems like the Infisherman is getting lost in the crowd. The FLW and other tournament circuits are taking the lime light. Any thoughts on the Super Pro series? While waiting one day I cruised through the Insider didn't find any topic of special interest. Except the article on Father and Son duo's. By the most recent numbers the interest and particapation in the sport of fishing is flat or on a slight decline. Speaking with an owner of a major fishing tackle concern, recently, he pointed out that the "niche market of competive angling" is a healthy portion of his business not to dominate but very noticeable. Boat companies,using Ranger as a example, tournament anglers are a huge part of their customer base.
Sometimes margins are lower when selling to the competive angling crowd as these customers want special deals but none the less a important part of their business. To encourage fishing particapation should we refocus our efforts to the entry level angler. $25,000 to $45,000 for a boat may be a turn off. Some food for thought.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:01 AM
absolutely

Default RE: Comments Wanted on The PWT and The Insider And Others

The elite series in my opinion is an idea brought on because too many new anglers making there way into the winners circle and payouts. Take a look at the last two to three years at how many to faces bumped out a big name pro. Its my view these guys should just try harder and improve instead of removing the anglers out of the picture.
Time off and cost forced me out, but the events I put the most time into I did ok, and the decisions made during a day determines placing high or not. A larger pool is always better. Its where your next big name will come from, the elites are fishing for less places and less money and against themselves only, so whats the drama in that 30 out of 56 to a championship, in my view it says at least 30 of those names go to the championship every time. Check to see were the sponsorship dollars are coming in, the FLW has locked in 5-6 just in the month of January. The best anglers usually rise to the top, preventing someones abition to give it a shot is a huge move backwards to growing the interest Remember each of these guys was there one day themselves as a rookie. The effort to split the angles is just stupid. I'd rather see more effort into the media coverage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2006, 10:01 AM
absolutely

The elite series in my opinion is an idea brought on because too many new anglers making there way into the winners circle and payouts. Take a look at the last two to three years at how many to faces bumped out a big name pro. Its my view these guys should just try harder and improve instead of removing the anglers out of the picture.
Time off and cost forced me out, but the events I put the most time into I did ok, and the decisions made during a day determines placing high or not. A larger pool is always better. Its where your next big name will come from, the elites are fishing for less places and less money and against themselves only, so whats the drama in that 30 out of 56 to a championship, in my view it says at least 30 of those names go to the championship every time. Check to see were the sponsorship dollars are coming in, the FLW has locked in 5-6 just in the month of January. The best anglers usually rise to the top, preventing someones abition to give it a shot is a huge move backwards to growing the interest Remember each of these guys was there one day themselves as a rookie. The effort to split the angles is just stupid. I'd rather see more effort into the media coverage.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Default RE: Comments Wanted on The PWT and The Insider And Othe...

I would agree with most your comments. In my opinion, I would have liked to see the PWT continue with last years format, entry fees and payouts. Fishing against 120+ competitors has not been that great of a problem for at least some of us, "Old veterans". I do agree with the theory that "The cream will rise to the top". As a former "PWT Rookie Of The Year' (1993) I strongly agree that new talent needs to be given a fair and open field of opportunity to prove themselves.

Addressing the issue of a better compensation program for the PWT Amateurs would have, in my opinion been a more positive direction for the PWT to go in 2006. There certainly has been enough negative fallout regarding the PWT format change to the Super Pro/Regional Series. This year the PWT might have been better off dealing with the competition from the FLW Walleye Tour for the available Amateur/Co-Anglers out there. It was not the Pro side the PWT had trouble filling in 2005.

Before anyone accuses me of being Pro FLW in my opinions let me state. Yes, I am Pro FLW, just like I am Pro PWT when it comes to the Regionals and the Super Pro Series. Having signed up for all three Series/Tours, I have a vested interest in seeing both the PWT and the FLW Circuits do well and continue to move forward. That does not mean that I agree with everything that the PWT or FLW espouses or is doing. Two issues that concern me and many other anglers are: The FLW issue of sharing information on the water during tournaments needs to be addressed before it gets totaly out of hand. The PWT issue of paying for information, hiring guides and offering individuals a percentage of their winnings also needs to be addressed, as it is already has been badly abused. Open dialog is important to address issues that need addressing. Hopefully the FLW and PWT will continue to listen to angler concerns.

On a positive note, the FLW and PWT need to be commended for their tournament schedules this year. Both circuits have selected some great water for us to fish on. Timing and location of events looks better than anything we have seen in recent years. It will be an exciting year on either circuit.

As others have said, 2006 may indeed be a pivotal year for competitive walleye angling. How the PWT new format change works out only time will tell. Whether the surging popularity of the FLW Walleye Tour will continue, only time will tell also. Much of the decision making and responsibility for those decisions will rest with the management of both circuits.

Pete Harsh / MR.TILLER
Old 02-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Default RE: Comments Wanted on The PWT and The Insider And Othe...

I would agree with most your comments. In my opinion, I would have liked to see the PWT continue with last years format, entry fees and payouts. Fishing against 120+ competitors has not been that great of a problem for at least some of us, "Old veterans". I do agree with the theory that "The cream will rise to the top". As a former "PWT Rookie Of The Year' (1993) I strongly agree that new talent needs to be given a fair and open field of opportunity to prove themselves.

Addressing the issue of a better compensation program for the PWT Amateurs would have, in my opinion been a more positive direction for the PWT to go in 2006. There certainly has been enough negative fallout regarding the PWT format change to the Super Pro/Regional Series. This year the PWT might have been better off dealing with the competition from the FLW Walleye Tour for the available Amateur/Co-Anglers out there. It was not the Pro side the PWT had trouble filling in 2005.

Before anyone accuses me of being Pro FLW in my opinions let me state. Yes, I am Pro FLW, just like I am Pro PWT when it comes to the Regionals and the Super Pro Series. Having signed up for all three Series/Tours, I have a vested interest in seeing both the PWT and the FLW Circuits do well and continue to move forward. That does not mean that I agree with everything that the PWT or FLW espouses or is doing. Two issues that concern me and many other anglers are: The FLW issue of sharing information on the water during tournaments needs to be addressed before it gets totaly out of hand. The PWT issue of paying for information, hiring guides and offering individuals a percentage of their winnings also needs to be addressed, as it is already has been badly abused. Open dialog is important to address issues that need addressing. Hopefully the FLW and PWT will continue to listen to angler concerns.

On a positive note, the FLW and PWT need to be commended for their tournament schedules this year. Both circuits have selected some great water for us to fish on. Timing and location of events looks better than anything we have seen in recent years. It will be an exciting year on either circuit.

As others have said, 2006 may indeed be a pivotal year for competitive walleye angling. How the PWT new format change works out only time will tell. Whether the surging popularity of the FLW Walleye Tour will continue, only time will tell also. Much of the decision making and responsibility for those decisions will rest with the management of both circuits.

Pete Harsh / MR.TILLER
Old 02-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Record

Just for the record. You stated:

"The elite series in my opinion is an idea brought on because too many new anglers making there way into the winners circle and payouts. Take a look at the last two to three years at how many to faces bumped out a big name pro. Its my view these guys should just try harder and improve instead of removing the anglers out of the picture."

Check out the PWT site to see who won the events last year:
http://www.in-fisherman.com/pwt/tour...lAwardwinners/

Butts (multiple championship qualifier -- Western Division AOY)
Ortiz (former AOY)
Kehl (Former ROY, AOY, and PWT Winner)
Van Oss (Former PWT Winner)
Crow (Multiple Championship Qualifier)
Wilson (the "new" guy?)

With the exception of Terry Wilson, who is hardly a rookie, all of these anglers are in the Super Pro field. All have been around for a while (even Wilson). Butts is the shortest record but even he has made several championships.

So, who is the new guy that is winning all of those events? Who is the "new angler making it into the winners circle ..."?
Old 02-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Record

Just for the record. You stated:

"The elite series in my opinion is an idea brought on because too many new anglers making there way into the winners circle and payouts. Take a look at the last two to three years at how many to faces bumped out a big name pro. Its my view these guys should just try harder and improve instead of removing the anglers out of the picture."

Check out the PWT site to see who won the events last year:
http://www.in-fisherman.com/pwt/tour...lAwardwinners/

Butts (multiple championship qualifier -- Western Division AOY)
Ortiz (former AOY)
Kehl (Former ROY, AOY, and PWT Winner)
Van Oss (Former PWT Winner)
Crow (Multiple Championship Qualifier)
Wilson (the "new" guy?)

With the exception of Terry Wilson, who is hardly a rookie, all of these anglers are in the Super Pro field. All have been around for a while (even Wilson). Butts is the shortest record but even he has made several championships.

So, who is the new guy that is winning all of those events? Who is the "new angler making it into the winners circle ..."?
Old 02-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Walleye Fanatic

I would love to see the two tournament series co-exist. As long as they are able to fill their respective fields. As a fan I love to follow the coverage. The quality of the pros is not a problem as they are all very capable of puting fish in the boat. I think that the problems lies in the media coverage. I think FLW is making progress but it is very hard to rise to the levels of a B.A.S.S. event when they are on ESPN every week. There is so much more advertising dollar in their world. I see it becoming increasingly difficult for a young angler to break into the sport of professional walleye angling. The expenses of a touring season just keep going up. I think that it is hard for the angler in their 20s-30s to work that into the budget, or find enough sponsors to compensate. If you look at the average ages of the bass anglers compared to the walleye side you will see the walleye anglers are much older. The veterans of the walleye sport deserve great respect as they have accomplished so much in such a short period of time. But I believe the marketing value lies in the younger generation which seems to be lacking in the walleye tournament world. There are a few exceptions to this rule. On the bass side the heavy hitters are ages 28-38, on the walleye side they are 40 plus. I think we all agree that the payouts have been very good in recent years. I think a feeder tournament series may be beneficial to the sport. Maybe a tournament series where first place pays in the neighborhood of $20-$25,000 for first place, with some television/magazine coverage. My favorite magazine is the Walleye Insider, they have great tourney coverage and some informative how to articles. It would be great to have a magazine that covered all the walleye tournaments in one publication. I could go on forever about different ideas, but these are just my oppinions.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Walleye Fanatic

I would love to see the two tournament series co-exist. As long as they are able to fill their respective fields. As a fan I love to follow the coverage. The quality of the pros is not a problem as they are all very capable of puting fish in the boat. I think that the problems lies in the media coverage. I think FLW is making progress but it is very hard to rise to the levels of a B.A.S.S. event when they are on ESPN every week. There is so much more advertising dollar in their world. I see it becoming increasingly difficult for a young angler to break into the sport of professional walleye angling. The expenses of a touring season just keep going up. I think that it is hard for the angler in their 20s-30s to work that into the budget, or find enough sponsors to compensate. If you look at the average ages of the bass anglers compared to the walleye side you will see the walleye anglers are much older. The veterans of the walleye sport deserve great respect as they have accomplished so much in such a short period of time. But I believe the marketing value lies in the younger generation which seems to be lacking in the walleye tournament world. There are a few exceptions to this rule. On the bass side the heavy hitters are ages 28-38, on the walleye side they are 40 plus. I think we all agree that the payouts have been very good in recent years. I think a feeder tournament series may be beneficial to the sport. Maybe a tournament series where first place pays in the neighborhood of $20-$25,000 for first place, with some television/magazine coverage. My favorite magazine is the Walleye Insider, they have great tourney coverage and some informative how to articles. It would be great to have a magazine that covered all the walleye tournaments in one publication. I could go on forever about different ideas, but these are just my oppinions.