Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
what or do you give your dog a suppliment vitamin after a hard day afield - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 09-23-2017, 01:18 PM
Wallhanger

Default what or do you give your dog a suppliment vitamin after a hard day afield

In my younger years I used to hunt pheasants in IA and WI. Then the populations in both states went to...well bad and didn't bother anymore. But I used to give my lab a vitamin after the days hunt to help her recover for the next day, no stiffness, etc. At that time a vet told me what to give her and for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Now we are going to S. Dakota and my Springer although fit, was very stiff last year after the first day and took awhile to get "unstuck". Do you guys know what it was or what I can try this year to help, I may take some myself!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2017, 08:57 PM
Minnow

I am not an expert, but hunt the Dakotas regularly and MN 4+ days a week. Give my shorthairs the vits at the link below. I pride myself in assuring a rigid pre hunting season workout for the pups. Not a fan of starving dogs all day and feeding at night. Have yet to have issues with feeding a light breakfast and snacks throughout the day. I think that they need to keep their blood sugar up no differently than we do.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/adult-do...ve-health.html
Old 09-24-2017, 07:15 AM
Minn guest

I feed my Yellow Lab the same as any other day,I also carry a pocket full of treats along when we're hunting,I'm lucky enough to have a decent amount of Pheasants close to home so we go often(20-25 times a year).
It's also important to have a real nice soft dog bed in a nice warm place for them to sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2017, 07:21 PM
Wallhanger

I give my dogs a meal in the morning before we head out and another 1/2 meal at night when we get back, and I can't remember for sure but it was something like vitamin D with rose hips, and they were always ready to go in the morning. It was something about breaking down the amino acids in the muscles so they were not stiff in the morning. Can't seem to find the Vitamins on the shelf anymore so wondering if they have been replaced by something better, my vet is of no good whatsoever. She is appalled that I hunt. She doesn't know it yet but that was the last time I will see her.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspencreek View Post
I give my dogs a meal in the morning before we head out and another 1/2 meal at night when we get back, and I can't remember for sure but it was something like vitamin D with rose hips, and they were always ready to go in the morning. It was something about breaking down the amino acids in the muscles so they were not stiff in the morning. Can't seem to find the Vitamins on the shelf anymore so wondering if they have been replaced by something better, my vet is of no good whatsoever. She is appalled that I hunt. She doesn't know it yet but that was the last time I will see her.
LOL, I was going to say, that Vet wouldn't ever see me again.
I run labs mainly for waterfowl and have never given them anything at the end of the day other than a bowl of food and a dog treat. Right or wrong that's what I do.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

My Huskies don't hunt, but they get a workout quite often. I went from no vitamins, to store vitamins, then switched to these in the link below. Nuvet vitamins. My breeder requires them as part of the health guarantee. I'll tell you what, each change made a difference. With the store vitamins, you could see a little more perkiness in the dogs and not useless lumps after a rough day. Noticeable difference in shedding. When I switched to the Nuvet vitamins, it was a dramatic difference, especially with the level of energy and the condition of their coat. Out of season shedding nearly stopped also. Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements are the best thing for older dogs, or dogs that show signs of muscle or joint discomfort.

https://www.nuvet.com/products.html
Old 03-09-2018, 09:45 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
My Huskies don't hunt, but they get a workout quite often. I went from no vitamins, to store vitamins, then switched to these in the link below. Nuvet vitamins. My breeder requires them as part of the health guarantee. I'll tell you what, each change made a difference. With the store vitamins, you could see a little more perkiness in the dogs and not useless lumps after a rough day. Noticeable difference in shedding. When I switched to the Nuvet vitamins, it was a dramatic difference, especially with the level of energy and the condition of their coat. Out of season shedding nearly stopped also. Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements are the best thing for older dogs, or dogs that show signs of muscle or joint discomfort.

https://www.nuvet.com/products.html
BTW, took your advise and got some of the vitamins from this place. The pups were ready to go a whole lot more than I was in the morning, I considered one or 2 for me, but didn't. Thanks!!
Old 05-16-2018, 08:24 PM
Wallhanger

I like, I mean the dog like Ricky Litchfield products and Thomas Labratories. So many out there but these do seem to help.