Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Alumacraft offering Yamaha again - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-06-2020, 03:17 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by usma65 View Post
I have noticed the same thing on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. Yamaha rules !!!
I will put a yamaha or Honda over any motor that is made anymore. In all honestly anything is better than a mercury anymore!!!!
Helix 10G2N, Helix 7G3N, Helix 5G2, Helix 8 G3N
Minnkota Ulterra 36 volt 112lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2020, 06:51 AM
Wallhanger

Default Yamaha

I bought a Alumacraft 10 years ago with a 115 Yama on it. A couple months later I was at Dana Point CA dock an 90% of the ocean going boats had a Yama on it. I was stunned.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:06 AM
Wallhanger

I spend a few weeks every year fishing everglades/florida keys and Biscayne bay areas. 70% run Yamaha, 15% Mercury, 15% Suzuki. Suzuki seems to be dominating the repower market down there because they are cheaper than the rest. Also beginning to see a lot of new merc V8 motors. I'm not partial to any motor brand but the older Yamaha's I've seen seem to be in best condition. I think their corrosion protection is best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2020, 12:01 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
If I'm building a Competitor 205 Tiller, with a Mercury I can put a 200hp on 'er, but with Yamaha only a 115hp.

HRG

An aside.......

Why is the Lund Pro Guide 2075 (essentially the same boat) rated up to a 250hp, while the 205 is only rated to a 200hp?

I am between these two boats and I am leaning towards the 205 with a 200SHO. Although, there is a Lund dealer near me that will put a 'Hammer on if I choose.

However, the cost difference is roughly $8,000-$10,000 between the two. I do not believe the Lund is that much better!
Old 08-10-2020, 08:20 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorningRise View Post
An aside.......

Why is the Lund Pro Guide 2075 (essentially the same boat) rated up to a 250hp, while the 205 is only rated to a 200hp?

I am between these two boats and I am leaning towards the 205 with a 200SHO. Although, there is a Lund dealer near me that will put a 'Hammer on if I choose.

However, the cost difference is roughly $8,000-$10,000 between the two. I do not believe the Lund is that much better!
To answer you question, as I look at it.....some people believe levi's are the only jeans to buy, and cost more than say wrangler. Both are jeans, both do the particular job intended. Same with a Chevy vs cadillac, for some people perception is everything. I have a son-in-law who is all about the brand name. Now before someone jumps down my neck and cries "what about resale"........resale percentages of original retail on similar models are very close. It's your money, spend it as you wish.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJB View Post
I will put a yamaha or Honda over any motor that is made anymore. In all honestly anything is better than a mercury anymore!!!!
You and I think alike. My dealer, when asked about which motor to put on the back of my boat, he simply said "If you put on a Yamaha or Honda, I will not see you again, if you put on a Merc or Etec, I will be seeing you within a year when you have a problem. Those are the engines he sold at the time, and that was 2010. Some things don't change much.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:54 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshbid View Post
Odd that Yamaha wouldn't put a tiller larger than 115hp on it. Maybe something to do with Merc owning the old mertens hydraulics?

That said, I have a buddy with the competitor with at 115hp SHO and it if you don't need to go faster than 35ish mph it tolls down amazingly well and leaps on plane.

Save some money and need for hydraulics otherwise sounds like Merc is the way only way to go big from factory. I know zero torque tiller is available from uflex for all brands.

Marsh
I don't know where you guys are looking, but there are plenty of V6 Yamaha 200 SHO motors on Competitor 205 tillers!
Old 08-21-2020, 12:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspencreek View Post
You and I think alike. My dealer, when asked about which motor to put on the back of my boat, he simply said "If you put on a Yamaha or Honda, I will not see you again, if you put on a Merc or Etec, I will be seeing you within a year when you have a problem. Those are the engines he sold at the time, and that was 2010. Some things don't change much.
People need to get over their Mercury fears. Today's Mercury is not the same engine of year's past. If they were, people with Lunds would constantly be complaining about frequent dealer trips. I totally understand the preference for Yamaha because why the **** not with their proven track record. But Mercury is like Kia and Hyundai cars. 15 years ago, they were junk. Today, just as good as any other brand.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:15 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
People need to get over their Mercury fears. Today's Mercury is not the same engine of year's past. If they were, people with Lunds would constantly be complaining about frequent dealer trips. I totally understand the preference for Yamaha because why the **** not with their proven track record. But Mercury is like Kia and Hyundai cars. 15 years ago, they were junk. Today, just as good as any other brand.
Just had a Merc dealer tell me this week how unreliable the verados have been. They just discontinued them right? I think Mercury has a long way to go before the prove to be the same caliber as Yamaha or Suzuki.

On the flip side he said the Pro XS line has been fantastic. But then again, he was trying to sell me a Pro XS.
112 Ulterra linked with Birds
Old 08-30-2020, 07:57 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjy View Post
I spend a few weeks every year fishing everglades/florida keys and Biscayne bay areas. 70% run Yamaha, 15% Mercury, 15% Suzuki. Suzuki seems to be dominating the repower market down there because they are cheaper than the rest. Also beginning to see a lot of new merc V8 motors. I'm not partial to any motor brand but the older Yamaha's I've seen seem to be in best condition. I think their corrosion protection is best.
Yamaha actually has some of the worst corrosion issues out there. They sell kits to fix it because some of the alloys used on the exhaust housings totally rots away just search for yamaha f225 corrosion.

It appears to be corrected on there current generation of motors and dosent effect freshwater motors.

Suzuki really shines for repowers, dad was able to repower his boat for almost 5 grand less with the 200 horse Suzuki.

Mercury really seams to be gaining ground on yamahas with these new v8s, will be interesting to see what happens over the next 5 years.