Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Humminbird auto chart - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-18-2021, 04:22 AM
Wallhanger

Agree with Chode and hope I didn't give the impression that I map grids just for the sake of mapping. I started out mapping around waypoints so I could learn in areas I already knew were fishy. After that I moved on to places that looked interesting on the standard map or had drawn my attention while I was fishing. And of course, anytime I'm exploring new water I'm laying down a trail even if I'm cruising at 5 mph looking for stuff. Checking out a point? I'm going to drive around it once so why not map? Keep the map on as I come back fishing it and spend 5 minutes when I'm done making a few more passes.

Last summer I mapped a slot that runs up on a flat at 2-3' deeper than the flat all the way out to the main basin. It wasn't an area I've caught a lot of fish in and I've never made it a priority but I wanted to run my kicker at higher RPM for a while since I hardly use it anymore so I spent a half hour going back and forth over the slot. Two birds with one stone. It's an interesting looking structure that might only serve as a highway for fish moving to and from the main basin at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2021, 09:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Seems like a big investment of time. Is it worth the effort? Do you have that much more detail ? I get a lot of the maps are outdated and things change I wonder how much and how often. What have you and others seem. Curious enough that I ordered the card today.
The benefits and value of AutoChart (AC) depend on the existing mapping available for the bodies of water you are interested in. If you have lake that is available in HD from LakeMaster (LM) then AC can provide some enhanced detail on bottom hardness, vegetation, or finer contour details not captured on LM survey runs. To me that provides some marginal value but is limited.

I have found the most benefit on minimally chartered lakes like up in Northwest Ontario. The existing MNR contour maps are okay and get you in the ballpark and are 50%-60% accurate (guestimate) missing a lot of finer detail features which are especially crucial for success in NWO.

You don't have to survey the lake as a separate effort yourself to gain benefit from AC. I continuous record while I am on the lake and incrementally build up my database of lake depth measurements over time. These measurements are done while fishing or in transit to spots. A week of Canadian fishing for me I will log 100-150 miles a week which can add quite a bit of data for mapping. I choose different routes when possible to increase my scope of coverage over time.

Capturing AC data is one thing then there is a considerable amount of effort in storing, cleaning, managing the datasets for input in AC. It does require an investment in time and effort especially off the water using this approach if you want high quality and detailed maps. If you soley rely on AC-Live there is less maintenance as a lot of that is managed inside the head unit.

If you have any further questions drop further comments here or send me a PM.

Happy mapping!