Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Any Archers Frequent the board? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 08-28-2003, 05:38 AM
newbietroller

Default RE: Any Archers Frequent the board?

I bowhunt Ohio and have just purchased a new Hoyt Ultratech. Can't wait to get it in the woods. Have been havoc on sparrows that live in our yard. Out to 30 yards, I'm deadly on them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2003, 08:33 AM
Slot Fish

I'll tell you there's NOTHING like standing 30yds from a 6x6 Bull elk screaming his lungs out at ya and ready for a fight. Knock that arrow!!
Old 08-28-2003, 09:48 AM
Slot Fish

Just hung two stands last weekend. The season starts here (MN) September 13th. The landowner has been seeing some nice bucks. The weather is just starting to cool. This time of the year rocks! Oh yea, there are also several good walleye bites to check out. Decisions,decisions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2003, 10:26 AM
Wallhanger

Got to love the smooth draw on those eagles. Another thing about them is that they are very big guy friendly. They offer models fro long draw lengths (33-36 inches) that still push out respectable arrow speed. Rich
Old 08-28-2003, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

I don't get to spend the time with archery I'd like, but do really enjoy it. Bought a new Parker Hunter-Mag last year and really love the bow, it's fast and hits like a ton of bricks and was reasonable in price.

I also managed to get my 2 boys, 9 and 12 years old, hooked on archery last winter. We haven't done a lot during the summer months, but will be hitting it again once our fishing season is over.

As far as sites, www.archerytalk.com is pretty good as well. They have seperate forums for hunting and target shooters.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Season opens here in Wyoming on Monday for Deer and Elk. Might take a drive to the mountains on Monday as it is only 20 miles away to see if I can't get lucky and spot a big 6x6. Otherwise I have to wait until the week of September 20th to get my 9 days of elk and deer hunting in. Should be a great hunting season for elk as the herd populations are in great shape.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:42 AM
cxtx

You guys got me all teary eyed now. I got moved to Texas for a year for work and I won't be able to make it home to PA to do any archery hunting this fall. :-( I can't ship all my equipment down here besides pretty much everything is by a lease anyway. I guess I will have to count on your exploits this season and read everyone's stories on here. If anyone is from PA, www.huntingpa.com is a nice site for hunting and fishing forums/chats/reports.

A question to you fellows from other states, are you required to wear fluorescent orange in your respective state while archery hunting? I know in NY it is optional but I am unsure of the other big hunting states. Here in PA, they have just gave preliminary approval to requiring archers, starting the 2004-2005 season, to wear a FO orange hat into and out of the woods during our first two weeks of the season when no other hunters are in the woods and requiring us to wear 250 square inches of orange on the head, chest and back the rest of the season, even while on stand. As you can imagine, the majority of archers in PA are up in arms over this new reg. All I can say is, I will wear my orange into and out of the woods, like they require now, but I will NOT wear it while on stand if this passes. They will legislate me into becoming a bandit and I will let the cards fall as they may. Opinions on the FO issue?

PS-the game commission here pretty much admitted it is being implemented not for "safety" but as a "law enforcement tool."

As you all know, archery is probably one of the safest sports around (other than treestand accidents.) Sorry for the long post.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:13 AM
Srayjay

Default Orange isn't bad

I do a ton of bowhunting in the fishing "off season." Usually start around late Sept. to early Oct. Honestly, I wear flo orange ALL THE TIME and I guarantee that I'm more "camoed" than any one else that is in full fatigues. Do you have a dog? If so, go throw a flo orange colored dummy into a short grass lawn and watch the dog run right past it. This clued me years ago that many animals are color blind, they see in shades. The lights and darks really stand out, and often we fatigue ourselves to a point that we "think" were camoed but actually our contrast really, really stands out. I have no way to prove it, but I don't think deer can see flo orange, and I've had several deer (bucks and the mature does) that have looked right up at me and didn't play me any mind. Try it a couple times, what have you got to loose? Scent is more important that sight anyway! But if you want deer to NOT notice you, wear blaze orange and that's no....

Steve
Old 08-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Rob Stratton

I can't wait for Oct 1st herein Michigan. I'm going under some therapy for my shoulder that I hope works, if not I may have to have surgery....bummer. I had 175 killable deer under my stand last year..took two an 8 and a doe. Have a 14 that's been giving me fits for two tears. maybe this is his year?
Rob Stratton
Old 07-26-2021, 04:31 PM
LV guy

Heck yeah! Getting ready for CO archery elk and mule deer. Hosting my son and two nephews at our place in CO.
Little more than a month away. Interesting that most posting here are guests. Apparently most of the WC geezers are not bow hunters, which is not surprising.