Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Livewell valve - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2021, 05:05 AM
Wallhanger

Default Livewell valve

My livewell was filling slowly yesterday...maybe half as much as normal and flow was not even. Motor was running steady, but flow was pulsing/variable.

When I went to drain it, the valve would not activate and water will not drain.

I didn't have time to mess with it last night, but just wondering if the two issues might be related and any pointers on where to look first.

This was the first time using the livewell this year, and boat is kept in heated shed so nothing froze over winter.

This is the type of switch I have:
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2021, 06:35 AM
Wallhanger

The cable on mine was seized up from a lack of lubrication. I did everything I could to free it up. I even purchased a device that attaches to a the cable and a aerosol can of penetrating oil.
I had to replace both the cable and the valve because a new cable wouldn't fit the valve.
Here is the luber I used. I bought it on ebay.
https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0182

Last edited by Johnboy; 04-19-2021 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:21 PM
Minnow

I'd backflush it first, but I am in your boat. 2 of the 3 of mine need replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2021, 08:37 PM
Keeper

A question for you. Does the valve cable move freely? If it does maybe all you need to do is replace or clean the flappers in the valve. I've done this a few times on my 13 year old boat. In my case the valve was not holding water in the livewell when the boat was on the trailer. Flowrite sells a repair kit for about $12.

https://store.flow-rite.com/valve-re...ngmpa-060.html
Old 04-21-2021, 05:20 AM
Wallhanger

It looks like the cable is shot (at least). The plastic sheath broke just behind the switch...not sure why...possibly cable wasn't moving freely. Sure wish we could make things from metal instead of plastic all the time.

I can barely get at the valve itself from access holes in splashwell, but I can move the lever to open and close.

I can't believe how impossible it is to access the pumps on this boat.

Next step is to remove cable completely, measure, and get a new one I guess.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:49 AM
Minnow

If it all works when you hand actuate it then it is the cable/switch. If it doesn't then it is the valve....although the cable could still be binding.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:02 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump55 View Post
It looks like the cable is shot (at least). The plastic sheath broke just behind the switch...not sure why...possibly cable wasn't moving freely. Sure wish we could make things from metal instead of plastic all the time.

I can barely get at the valve itself from access holes in splashwell, but I can move the lever to open and close.

I can't believe how impossible it is to access the pumps on this boat.

Next step is to remove cable completely, measure, and get a new one I guess.
Yep, it was a pain to work on my valve too. It doesn't get any easier as you get older either. I think your in for a few choice words, some bloody knuckles, and sore knees while making this repair. I can say that from my own experience. I've found the customer service to be good at Flowrite. Give them a call and perhaps they can lend you some assistance with the necessary parts for your repair.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deephaven View Post
If it all works when you hand actuate it then it is the cable/switch. If it doesn't then it is the valve....although the cable could still be binding.
Yeah, the valve works, but I'm not sure how easily it should move. I think it may have been partially closed when the plastic sheath broke, and that's why it wasn't filling properly.

If it was easier to get at, I'd just replace the valve and cable and be done with it, but I will have a hard enough time just doing the cable.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:44 AM
Wallhanger

My valve is under the trolling motor battery boxes. I had to drill all the rivets out to be able to remove the boxes and all the framework that holds them.
A real nasty, time consuming job.
My replacement cable was not an exact length fit. I simply routed the new cable in such a way to allow it to fit.
I had to replace the valve because Alumacraft used an known brand when the boat was new.
Flowright cables a readily available on the internet.
I would recommend that you replace the valve to.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:42 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
My valve is under the trolling motor battery boxes. I had to drill all the rivets out to be able to remove the boxes and all the framework that holds them.
A real nasty, time consuming job.
My replacement cable was not an exact length fit. I simply routed the new cable in such a way to allow it to fit.
I had to replace the valve because Alumacraft used an known brand when the boat was new.
Flowright cables a readily available on the internet.
I would recommend that you replace the valve to.
My valve uses the quick-lock fitting system, that made it easy to get in and out. My battery trays are installed with screws, and the boat frame work that supports the battery trays has plenty of access to get at valve. I found it a pretty easy job on my '12 Alumacraft. The hardest part was lifting out the batteries.