Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Century Lodge- Osbourne Bay Eagle Lake report - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 09-17-2015, 03:20 PM
Wallhanger

Default Century Lodge- Osbourne Bay Eagle Lake report

Check out the related posts to come: THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED and THE HHH METHOD OF MUSKY FISHING

We arrived at the Century Lodge landing strung out from the road, having arrived in I Falls about 2 AM and crashing in the van until the restaurant opened at 6. Over the border, no issues and then the short drive to the landing interrupted by momma moose and her juvenile offspring crossing in front of the van. We unloaded at the dock and waited to meet Randy, who was due to pick us up at 10 am.

Randy and all of the Tyrans are very nice people. As it turned out, they were closing the camp and after the second day, we were the only guests in camp. We were on the housekeeping plan but did buy a breakfast.

Camp-The camp itself is geared toward the American Plan so there is only one large cabin for housekeeping guests. It was large and we found it comfortable with a nice bench for our nightly sunset show. Interestingly they provide towels and soap, but their cooking utensils leave a little to be desired. You would expect basic utensils like a pair of tongs, a pot with a lid, a bottle opener, things like that. The island has had human traffic on it for many years and there are many roots exposed and lots of mud when it rains. There is a basic feeling of clutter and disrepair. The fish house had no sink, an experience I had never had while cleaning fish. It was impossible to clean up well and it was obvious that the people all summer had not been concerned about cleaning up. A loud generator powers the lodge and the staff lives in the vicinity of it, I don't know how they handle it. Fortunately, the camp was empty so it was shut off through the night and while we were out fishing. For the price of the trip, we find we have better value going north.

Fishing-Randy is a fast talker and we had trouble taking in all of the instructions with comprehension, but he did a good job of marking the map. We caught fish at almost every place but we never caught a single walleye over 18". We caught many many baby walleyes and we caught enough 15-17 1/2 to eat and pack out, but no trophies. See the thread for THE HHH METHOD OF MUSKY FISHING for how we caught two 40" muskies. Now, it may be that we are EAgle Lake rookies, maybe the time of year or the phase of the moon, but we have never experienced not even seeing a large walleye. Also we were told that the smallies were big. We caught lots of little ones while jigging for walleye but only one 16 incher when targeting them.

Will we go back? Probably not. Lots of traffic from other camps and read the THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED thread to come for our experience with one of their guides.

Special note to PJSHORTHORN: Ask me my experience at Ingalls Falls when you see me at the game. I can't post that one on WC since it is PG-13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2015, 04:29 PM
Wallhanger

10-4. HHMM. ( He Hooks Many Muskie) ...........you'll need to change your handle now Sounds like you had a couple of extra adventures during your trip!!!! Just so you know, if the story starts with......" You won't believe this **** " , I'll be on the ground laughing.

Glad you had a safe trip. See ya next weekend. BTW, I went down to Georgia Tech and spread some bad mojo dust around Bobby Dodd stadium. I'm thinking we are going to need all the help we can get against the triple option.

PjShorthorn.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:12 AM
Minnow

I forgot about the Roots and Generator. Doesn't sound like much but both are equally annoying. Your description hit the lodge on the head. We went there for several years and decided we could fish the same water from the North side lodges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015, 10:06 AM
Wallhanger

Seems as not much has changed in the last 6-7 years ...
Old 09-20-2015, 05:03 AM
Wallhanger

That time of year the larger eyes would have been 30'+ down.....were you jigging shallower? We returned from LOTW 1st week of Sept..... under slot were up to 20' .....larger all 30-40' on cranks.

Last edited by zeebee; 09-20-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:10 AM
Wallhanger

Default 15-20'

Randy suggested we fish at 15-20 since the water is dark the fish are shallower. We found plenty, just no big ones. Are you suggesting the big ones are deeper than the small ones? Our assumption was that they schooled and were all together. That's what we find in the water we are used to.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:14 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHooksHimself View Post
Randy suggested we fish at 15-20 since the water is dark the fish are shallower. We found plenty, just no big ones. Are you suggesting the big ones are deeper than the small ones? Our assumption was that they schooled and were all together. That's what we find in the water we are used to.

We experienced smaller schooled shallower...in under 20' and larger scattered in deep...+30'. Every body of water, every year can vary that time of season. After 08/15 I carry a large assortment of cranks that will go 30'-40 and contour troll in that depth.

Last year...'14, we caught over slots at 20' and largest...29" in 8'...they are where they is.

Last edited by zeebee; 09-20-2015 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHooksHimself View Post

Water color is one factor but temp more important....we had an early ice out and hot summer/early fall. Last year was the opposite. Whatever the reason, the biggies were deep this year.

Last edited by zeebee; 09-20-2015 at 05:39 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:00 AM
Wallhanger

Zeebee its just not a good idea to fish that deep.i have heard all the stories about reeling them up slow.sorry but that doesnt help.lot of fish die this time of the year due to deep fishing.absolutly no need yo fish that deep.ttheres plenty of fish shallow and shallower than most folks dare to fish in this time of the year.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Wallhanger

My understanding is that at 30' approx 1 in 30 are at risk of mortality.