Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Educate me on which chip and Chart Select options for Helix - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-11-2021, 06:04 AM
Keeper

Default Educate me on which chip and Chart Select options for Helix

I have a boat on order set to arrive in April (fingers crossed) with a Ulterra & i-Pilot Link. I've got Helix G4's in it. I'm trying to figure out what I want for map chips and associated options. I'm in Minnesota. A lot of my fishing is in the form of weekend camping trips to the following lakes: Mille Lacs, Big Sandy, Vermillion, Red, Leach, and the Alexandria chain (Darling, Carlos, etc). If it's windy or the fish aren't cooperating I will hit other smaller lakes close by. I also have family on the Spider Lake chain in Hayward, WI.

I understand what the SmartStrike and Plus features are, but I'm seeing that the version info (v5, V9, etc) is different between the chips. I did look at the lake list and they appear the same, but want to confirm, are these going to have the same updated map data or do any of the chips trail behind the others in any manner?

I need a better understanding of what Chart Select is. I believe it's HD for specific lakes. I am aware that not all lakes are in HD on the standard chips. However, using Mille Lacs as an example, it's listed as HD on the standard chip, but Chart Select is also available for it. I don't get it.

Thanks for your wisdom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2021, 11:52 AM
Wallhanger

Chart select is for all HB covered lakes. The newer surveyed lakes get on chart select right away and the following spring those new lakes will be put on the upgraded Lakemaster chips. They are re-surveying some Hd lakes again also. The Version #s are how many generations of a particular state or region chip there are. The northern states are usally the ones with the highest V#s as Lakemaster started out up north before HB bought them.(Mn,Wi etc) Chart select lakes can also be downloaded to the FishSmart app for the year following your purchases of chart select maps.
If you want the lake by lake breakdown of different versions of mapping go to the HB site click on support then chart lists. Go through untill you find what you are looking for(Minn or WI) in your case. Ther is a legend top right on the pages of lakes listed. It will let you know the quality of each lakes survey. Each time they release a new version something will have changed from the last version. Otherwise they would not create a different version. Many chips do not get a new version every year. Whew! If I missed something let me know. Bob
Old 03-12-2021, 07:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer92 View Post
I need a better understanding of what Chart Select is. I believe it's HD for specific lakes. I am aware that not all lakes are in HD on the standard chips. However, using Mille Lacs as an example, it's listed as HD on the standard chip, but Chart Select is also available for it. I don't get it.

If you lived in another state and were going to take a one-time trip to Mille Lacs, it would be cheaper to buy the Chart Select.
If you fish Mille Lacs a lot and your Lakemaster card is older, you might want to buy the current version of Mille Lacs in Chart Select, assuming you could verify that it is an improved chart versus your old Lakemaster chart. How you verify that is unclear to me.

Read your owner's manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2021, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

MN Standard V9
MN Plus V4
MN SmartStrike V5

Are the current releases for MN, they all release at the same time. Mille Lacs, Leech, Vermilion are all re-surveyed on the new chip.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plunker View Post
Mille Lacs, Leech, Vermilion are all re-surveyed on the new chip.

How do you know that? How do you find that information?

Read your owner's manual.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:07 PM
Wallhanger

Link to new minn chip. Legend on top right of page: https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...356.1614876623
Old 03-12-2021, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

I saw what Ozark Bob is pointing out on the MN standard V8 card when it came out. So I guess technically the re-surveyed maps are on V8. I saw a blurb on it somewhere when they released as well.

Minnetonka, Winni, Gull, and some other smaller lakes were included at the time too.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:13 PM
Wallhanger

The link is Version 9
Old 03-16-2021, 12:55 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8go4s View Post
If you lived in another state and were going to take a one-time trip to Mille Lacs, it would be cheaper to buy the Chart Select.
If you fish Mille Lacs a lot and your Lakemaster card is older, you might want to buy the current version of Mille Lacs in Chart Select, assuming you could verify that it is an improved chart versus your old Lakemaster chart. How you verify that is unclear to me.
There you go. For Wisconsin, I only fish the Chippewa Flowage and Spider Lake chain. I'll have the MN map and those 2 and I'll be set!