Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Car wash towels/shop towels - what do you guys use? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 07:17 AM
Keeper

Default Car wash towels/shop towels - what do you guys use?

Good morning,
It is practically spring here in Indiana and I am beginning to clean things around the garage. I am curious as to what you folks use for what I call car wash towels to dry things off or to be a bit more lint free when say washing the inside windshield of your boat or car? So, the question is, what type of towels/rags and where do you typically purchase them? Over the years, I have accumulated towels from our bathroom as we purchased new ones and also "borrowed" a few from places I have stayed. I always appreciate your information and enjoy this day...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2018, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Old,
I have gradually moved to using Micro Fiber cleaning pads and towels for about every cleaning chore.
This ranges from cleaning my glasses, to the dishes, to the floors and to the cars.

Simply put, Micro Fiber just cleans and dries better than just about any thing on the market.

https://www.google.com/search?q=micr...w=1680&bih=944

https://www.google.com/search?biw=16....0.d557m5WsRMs

https://www.google.com/search?biw=16....0.jhiDaG9HxrU

In the garage, I have moved away from using shop rags that need to be washed again and again to heavy duty shop paper towels. For the now and then that I do in the garage any more, it just makes more sense to use paper rather than cloth.

Good luck

Last edited by REW; 03-19-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:42 AM
Wallhanger

I pretty much do the same thing. I use old towels for drying the cars when I wash them. I keep a stack of them in the garage. For Windows I use paper towels, the ones that I use are lint free enough for me. For grease rags my wife will cut up old sweats and tee shirts.

andersaki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2018, 08:12 AM
Keeper

I use micro fiber towels. Costco has a great price on a big pack of them. They are about $.50 per towel. I do wash them prior to first us as they can be linty before a rinse. I also cut the tags off. They work great for drying the truck/boat (both are black). Once they get a little worn then they get used for dirtier tasks.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:57 AM
Wallhanger

Old towels for drying off the vehicles.

Old socks for staining and similar projects

Old NEWSPAPER for cleaning windows as it's the best with NO streaks.

Paper towels in the kitchen, garage, outside work shop and basement work shop

Nice FRESH face towels and wash cloths for the boat
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFootdoc View Post
Good morning,
It is practically spring here in Indiana and I am beginning to clean things around the garage. I am curious as to what you folks use for what I call car wash towels to dry things off or to be a bit more lint free when say washing the inside windshield of your boat or car? So, the question is, what type of towels/rags and where do you typically purchase them? Over the years, I have accumulated towels from our bathroom as we purchased new ones and also "borrowed" a few from places I have stayed. I always appreciate your information and enjoy this day...

Full service car washes use a basic terry towel for pretty much everything. Wash, extract, fold and stack. The key is that they are kept damp. Not sure how fast the extractor spins, but it is fast.
Solix 12 G1
Old 03-19-2018, 10:04 AM
Wallhanger

I use old towels for cars, boat and RV drying.

For windows and others cleaning I buy the blue surgical huck towels in bulk. They are lint free and work well for many projects.,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Pieces-...YAAOSw44BYI55p

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 03-19-2018, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

For windows: I've never found anything better than a stack of eighty year old diapers from an estate I was tasked with cleaning up. You just can't buy material like that anymore. Close second are dish towels that are white and 100% soft, thick cotton. You can buy them here and there, but the must be all cotton with no dyes in them. Old T-shirts are OK at best. Terri cloth is very poor for window washing. Micro fiber is OK, but I like cotton better.

For drying off vehicles: We just use our old cotton bath towels. We seem to have an never ending supply of them after cleaning out the above estate.

For general purpose around the shop: Any rags left over from old clothes or whatever.

I'm a big fan of the soapy paper towels that come in a round plastic container for hand cleanup around the shop. Best ones are the expensive John Deere ones from our local dealership. Close to that is the GoJo version on the same hand cleanup towels. GoJo are usually cheaper than the JD.

Rolls of cheap paper towels or rolls of the blue shop towels are also always on hand in the shop. Always need them for about anything.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 03-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Wallhanger

One other that I use a lot of is Kimberly Clark Wypal X70 disposable wipers in a roll. Great for grease and dirt and general stuff. Paper towels that you can wring out and will not fall apart. ALWAYS a roll handy in the shop.
Solix 12 G1
Old 03-19-2018, 01:12 PM
Wallhanger

Sham Wow. Picked them up at some sports/boat show. Over priced but does the job.