Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
MKA-16-03 vs MKA-51 quick release bracket for Ulterra trolling motor - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-09-2020, 02:26 PM
Keeper

Default MKA-16-03 vs MKA-51 quick release bracket for Ulterra trolling motor

This might just be the last question I ask before ordering my boat this week! I thought that I'd already asked it, then realized while going through my notes that I hadn't...

I HAVE searched the archives here, though, and also hunted down descriptions and reviews of both of these trolling motor quick release brackets wherever I could find them. Still up in the air on which one to get for the Ulterra on my impending 620FS Ranger Cup Equipped boat.

Anybody out there experienced with both? If so, what do you find most persuasive among their respective pros and cons?

Or if you only have experience with one but chose it over the other, what persuaded you to go with the one you got - and what do you think of your choice now?

Thanks, gang!

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2020, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't used both, but I do use the MKA-51 with my Ulterra on a 621. No complaints whatsoever.
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2020 Ranger 621 FS Pro Series
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 MEGA SI CHIRP Gen3
Old 02-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Wallhanger

Get the side release plate. Waaaay easier to remove the motor if you have a problem. This is experience speaking as I bounced around on Green Bay this summer taking my Ulterra apart instead of just separating the 2 halves of the mount. It is the first and last time I will use the front to back sliding plate. The cheaper mount came with the boat And of course the only time in 40 years of boat ownership I needed to remove a Minn Kota while on the water. Murphy bit me in the A$$. ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 11:39 AM
Wallhanger

This varies slightly from your question, but another option is the mka-32. This is an option if you don't need a mount that slides aft for loading or cover clearance. Like the mka-51, it is alloy, not a composite. The motor tips in from the side to mount so that you could easily detach the motor in the event that it would not stow. It has a pad lockable cam lock that is rock solid. It's 80 to 90 dollars less than the mka-51.

andersaki
Old 02-10-2020, 12:27 PM
Wallhanger

I’ve owned both, currently the 51 and had the 16-03 on my last two boats. Not sure I have a preference. It’s easy to remove the TM in either case. Maybe I would lean towards the 51 as I know I scratched the my old boat with the metal bracket of the 16-03 as I slid it back to remove. Even with that, if it wasn’t for a slight raised lip of that particular boat it really wasn’t an issue if you were a little careful.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:30 PM
Wallhanger

The 51 also has a cover for the bracket when the TM is removed. Just one more nice feature if you happen to need it.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:35 PM
Slot Fish

I have the 51 on my 621 as well. No complaints but haven’t tried the other one.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:18 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter8 View Post
Get the side release plate. Waaaay easier to remove the motor if you have a problem. This is experience speaking as I bounced around on Green Bay this summer taking my Ulterra apart instead of just separating the 2 halves of the mount. It is the first and last time I will use the front to back sliding plate. The cheaper mount came with the boat And of course the only time in 40 years of boat ownership I needed to remove a Minn Kota while on the water. Murphy bit me in the A$$. ..
Peter (or anyone)- Do you know if the MKA-51 (6" slider)) also has the ability for vertical removal in case of issue you reference above?

Thank You
Dan
Old 02-11-2020, 05:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer King View Post
Peter (or anyone)- Do you know if the MKA-51 (6" slider)) also has the ability for vertical removal in case of issue you reference above?

Thank You
Dan
I have an MK 51 and you can lift the motor off the mount vertically.

Marty
Old 02-11-2020, 11:10 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty59 View Post
I have an MK 51 and you can lift the motor off the mount vertically.

Marty
Thanks Marty

Dan