Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cordless drill auger - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2020, 06:27 PM
Minnow

Default Cordless drill auger

What’s the pros and cons of the augers for cordless drills? Which is the best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2020, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Go out and give a test run with a few different types with the understanding that you can bring it back if it does not work well for you.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:05 PM
Minnow

Extreme mobility due to being so light is the biggest PRO, IMO. I live on the southern edge of the ice belt (NW Iowa). Its been two years since I have used the big propane Jiffy. A couple days ago I punched 40-ish holes, 15-18" of ice, with an 8" K Drill and Milwaukee drill with a 12 amp hour battery.

As far as CONS, I guess if you are consistently drilling through 30+" of ice, you would need to pack plenty of batteries.

I love my K Drill, but the advertised 8" is actually 7.5". But, a couple weeks ago we pulled a 32# spoonbill through the ice...although we did have to drill 2 extra holes. Two of my regular fishing partners have the new Strikemaster drill bit and really love it. I do not know if the new Strikemaster cuts a true 8" hole? I will say, after two full seasons, I have yet to need anything bigger than the 7.5" hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2020, 08:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Go out and give a test run with a few different types with the understanding that you can bring it back if it does not work well for you.
REALLY!!! If you were selling a new product like an ice auger, somebody purchased it and then decided they didn't "like'' it would you refund their money. You wouldn't stay in business very long with a fiscal policy like that.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:44 PM
Minnow

I have a K-drill. I like it a lot for what I want it for. It's light, drills fast, and doesn't smoke up my shack with exhaust. It has a chipper blade so reopening holes in the shack isn't a problem. I'm sure the Pistol, Ion and Strikemaster augers are nice as well, but they are shaver blades. They may not be as tolerant of opening old holes, or of dirty ice, but they may be faster and possibly be easier on batteries.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:45 PM
Wallhanger

FWIW, today I used a buddies 8'' Strikemaster Lite-Flite Lazer. I'm buying one. We were only going through 8'' of ice but I wouldn't hesitate to use it on ice up to 20''.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:41 AM
Keeper

Hole hopping and scouting with the drill auger compared to a heavy gas/propane auger is a game changer. I have the Lite-Flite 8" and my buddy has the K-Drill 8". My Lite-Flite with the drill attached is about 7#s. The benefit of the Lite-Flite is full length and width, while the K-drill is shorter and is 7.5". If you're looking for a smaller auger I'd go with the K-drill, otherwise I'd go with the Lite-Flite for the full size. There isn't much difference in cutting speed, they both work great and are only limited by the power of the drill that you attach to them. We've used them both in ice up to 24" with no issues. If you go with the Lite-Flite the original drill adapter would wobble while drilling and would loosen up in the drill chuck. They have a new design out that they will send you for free if you e-mail them. I assume that they are including the new adapter in the box of the more recently packaged augers.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:21 AM
Wallhanger

I also have K-drill 8" (7.5") and love it along with 1/2" M-18 Fuel drill. Total setup 12 Lbs my old jiffy model 30 weighs in at 36 Lbs game changer. With a 5 ah red lithium battery I can drill around 24 holes in 24" ice on 1 battery. I rarely use up 1 battery in a day but I do carry a extra.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:22 AM
Minnow

Old 02-10-2020, 10:31 AM
Wallhanger

I have a Laser hand auger with a conversion to run it with a drill motor. I liked the ability to put the handle back on the Laser if I had any drill motor/battery problems. The handle stays in my sled out of the way. I use a 1/2" De Walt brushless hammer drill for my power. Make sure to spend the extra $$ and get a drill motor with metal gears. I have drilled 100's of holes over the past 3 years without 1 problem. I started with a 6" auger and also have an 8". I have drilled 58 - 6" holes through 22" of ice on a single 5 amp battery. Also timed 12 seconds to drill 18" ice. There are lots of good drills just pick a brand favorite and enjoy !