Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fall Walleyes in the Midwest - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-14-2020, 06:44 AM
Keeper

Default Fall Walleyes in the Midwest

Iím looking for strategy for fall walleye in the Midwest....mostly smaller lakes and rivers in Iowa and possibly MN and SD. Iíve never really focused on fall fishing due to bow hunting but unfortunately lost most of my hunting access this year so Iíve decided to fish more.

What do eyes do in the fall as far as depth, structure, water temp, etc? What are the best presentations to target them?

I will be fishing from a boat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2020, 06:57 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus33 View Post
Iím looking for strategy for fall walleye in the Midwest....mostly smaller lakes and rivers in Iowa and possibly MN and SD. Iíve never really focused on fall fishing due to bow hunting but unfortunately lost most of my hunting access this year so Iíve decided to fish more.

What do eyes do in the fall as far as depth, structure, water temp, etc? What are the best presentations to target them?

Thanks
My personal opinion is that you learn to be a deep water fisherman, in comparison to Spring. Target the 25-40' depths. The fish like to suspend out over deep water. They can be even deeper, depending on the lake or reservoir you are fishing. Trolling deep cranks, (+35') to find active fish, jigging with jigs and minnow combinations, and vertical jigging using spoons in the same depths. Keep moving until you find active fish, that seems to be a key. There are days where they are shallow, but I lean to the deep water bite. When the water temp starts dropping into the 50's, is the time time they turn on the feed bag for Winter.
Lowrance Elite 7ti (x2)
Pulled by 2020 Chevy Trail Boss
Old 09-14-2020, 06:41 PM
Minnow

Default Tom Boley video's

Search for Tom Boley video's on YouTube. Extremely informative. He is in northern Wisconsin but information can be used anywhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acTJVn7dPcU
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2020, 09:03 PM
Keeper

Quote:

Thanks
Pulling fish from 40í is not good for them due to barotrauma. Catch and release has a higher mortality rate. Fine other species if you donít intend to keep them.
A open Mind
Old 09-15-2020, 09:30 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker525 View Post
My personal opinion is that you learn to be a deep water fisherman, in comparison to Spring. Target the 25-40' depths. The fish like to suspend out over deep water. They can be even deeper, depending on the lake or reservoir you are fishing. Trolling deep cranks, (+35') to find active fish, jigging with jigs and minnow combinations, and vertical jigging using spoons in the same depths. Keep moving until you find active fish, that seems to be a key. There are days where they are shallow, but I lean to the deep water bite. When the water temp starts dropping into the 50's, is the time time they turn on the feed bag for Winter.
He's most likely not going to be finding lakes with that kind of depths where he is at. You'll find them on weedlines and then up shallow at dusk/after-dark. When I lived down that way we used to do really well on medium-sized chubs - that bite gets better later in October.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:05 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Pulling fish from 40’ is not good for them due to barotrauma. Catch and release has a higher mortality rate. Fine other species if you don’t intend to keep them.
I agree 100%. Frankly, I like to keep my depth limits to 25-30' max, just to minimize killing fish. The older I get, the more I realize we need to keep protecting the resources. I want to have my kids, and grandkids be able to catch fish like I have been able too. Although it works, I am not a huge fan of 'fizzing' before releasing. It is not so much the eater size I worry about, but this time of year you have the higher potential of hooking trophy sized fish.
Lowrance Elite 7ti (x2)
Pulled by 2020 Chevy Trail Boss
Old 09-15-2020, 10:53 AM
Keeper

Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:11 PM
Wallhanger

Default Fall Walleyes in the Midwest

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.

Iowa is great in the spring and fall. Summers are usually a lot slower fishing. As twistertom said, you wonít find many small lakes in Iowa over 40í. Most of the lakes that really produce run about twenty foot max and average about ten foot throughout.

Wait till the water cools a bit and troll flicker shads and shad raps in 10 foot of water. Youíll find Iowa fish doing this.

Have always preferred #5s in Iowa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk