Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone using Lowrance Ghost? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-04-2020, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghappy View Post
I've seen a couple videos showing how "loud" the ghost is, but from everybody that actually owns them, I hear how quiet they are...
I'd put my Ghost up against bout anything out there for quiet. Most all the YouTube sound comparison videos out there are a joke IMHO. Now, show me a video where their using a decibel meter set at the same location, on the same body of water, controlled environment, at the same time, I might be inclined to be convinced differently.

In remembrance of those that gave the "Ultimate" Sacrifice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2020, 09:07 AM
Keeper

Why do they have only short shaft available? I had no idea bass boats used the short ones like that. I think my current one is 54" and it comes out of the water more than I care to talk about.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:26 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
Why do they have only short shaft available? I had no idea bass boats used the short ones like that. I think my current one is 54" and it comes out of the water more than I care to talk about.

I think they were marketed at the bass boat crowd first. They do not have the distance from the bow to the water that most deep v or walleye boats have. I have a 60" in a 17.5' deep V, and it comes out of the water in big waves. Most bass fisherman have the ability to get out of the rough stuff, whereas that is where the walleye fisherman shake their money maker.
Lowrance Elite 7ti (x2)
Pulled by 2020 Chevy Trail Boss
Old 08-05-2020, 09:41 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker525 View Post
I think they were marketed at the bass boat crowd first. They do not have the distance from the bow to the water that most deep v or walleye boats have. I have a 60" in a 17.5' deep V, and it comes out of the water in big waves. Most bass fisherman have the ability to get out of the rough stuff, whereas that is where the walleye fisherman shake their money maker.
Yeah, it was a bass crowd first type thing. Even with adding a 60" later this year, I still think they are missing a good portion of the walleye crowd. Had they offered a 72" ,I would have probably went with a Ghost for my new rig. Love the idea of a brushless motor, but sadly no mention of a 72 so I am out of luck.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 08-08-2020, 12:10 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Yeah, it was a bass crowd first type thing. Even with adding a 60" later this year, I still think they are missing a good portion of the walleye crowd. Had they offered a 72" ,I would have probably went with a Ghost for my new rig. Love the idea of a brushless motor, but sadly no mention of a 72 so I am out of luck.
Truthfully, I don’t think there is a big market for the 72” shaft. You have a really deep boat so, I do agree you need one. But in the general multi-species crowd, 60 is usually more than enough. Even on the Skeeter 1910 the dealer assured me 60” was enough. I’m still kinda skeptical about that one.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
Truthfully, I don’t think there is a big market for the 72” shaft. You have a really deep boat so, I do agree you need one. But in the general multi-species crowd, 60 is usually more than enough. Even on the Skeeter 1910 the dealer assured me 60” was enough. I’m still kinda skeptical about that one.
I tend to disagree, even my 18ft Tyee would have my 60" motor come out of the water when the waves started rolling. Not to mention all the bigger boats that are now using bow mounts that never did before- your 22-27 foot walkarounds and powered Cats. Thats why Rhodan is making a 84 " motor today and Minn Kota just introduced their 87" shaft. There is definitely a big market for them. I do understand the bass crowd is the largest but I still maintain there is a large portion of boaters out there that would love to have the option of a 72" Ghost motor.

Oh I was looking at the bigger Skeeters and Warriors and I would go 72 if I could. Nothing more annoying than trying to hold course in a big chop than hearing that prop come out of the water
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders

Last edited by ltrain; 08-08-2020 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
I tend to disagree, even my 18ft Tyee would have my 60" motor come out of the water when the waves started rolling. Not to mention all the bigger boats that are now using bow mounts that never did before- your 22-27 foot walkarounds and powered Cats. Thats why Rhodan is making a 84 " motor today and Minn Kota just introduced their 87" shaft. There is definitely a big market for them. I do understand the bass crowd is the largest but I still maintain there is a large portion of boaters out there that would love to have the option of a 72" Ghost motor.

Oh I was looking at the bigger Skeeters and Warriors and I would go 72 if I could. Nothing more annoying than trying to hold course in a big chop than hearing that prop come out of the water
Ltrain is bang on.

I think the biggest reason a lot of boats have 60” shafts on them is because people don’t realize how much better the 72” versions work lol.

There can be figment issues on smaller boats, but anything 18-19’ or longer, there’s no real downside as far as I’m concerned, but there’s a lot of benefit.

Waxy
Old 08-08-2020, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

No doubt about it, the Bass fishing industry is the lions share and the biggest focus of boat, outboard, rod, reels, tackle, chartplotters and yes, trolling motors. We went a lot of years adopting and adapting Bass fishing "stuff" for other species. It only stands to reason when Lowrance jumped into the trolling motor world, they would focus first on the biggest market out there. Introducing a 52" and 60" model later this year is a smart move, but still won't satisfy the wants and needs of everyone. I feel somewhat confident that we indeed will see 72" and longer shaft models in the not too distant future, but who knows for absolute certain.

In remembrance of those that gave the "Ultimate" Sacrifice!
Old 09-16-2020, 10:07 PM
Keeper

Seems to me, Lowrance is tiptoeing through the Ghost release. Understandable in these uncertain times.Maybe that's the only way they can assure availability. I asked Customer Service this morning and was told the 60" would be available mid-October. If all goes well, I'll be a proud owner of a new Lund Impact 1875 sans trolling motor and electronics by month's end. I'm thinking electronics prices will be better in January-February. There doesn't seem to be any bargains out there right now. The Lund "Red Book" say the 60 will be long enough for the 1875.
Id also like to see Lowrance offer the Ghost with a choice of the standard nose cone or the 3-in-1 transducer nose cone as an option. Seems like a waste of money to buy the standard when the 3-in-1 is what you want all along. But then marketing isn't my forte. Just my opinion.
Love this website.

Be safe.

2012 Alumacraft Classic Tiller
2012 Mercury 60HP 4-Stroke
Big Tiller w/Troll Control
Terrova 80 w/I-Pilot
SmartCraft tach
Lowrance HDS-12 Touch w/Point-1 GPS