Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Transom Saver - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-13-2019, 09:26 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
Stress while running on the lake is a different type of stress than when bouncing down the road with the 10,000 potholes these days. Suspending 100+lb in the air and letting it bounce up/down is a lot of force on the mount and what is holding the mount (transom). In the water, you are under propulsion so there is a forwards force being applied with A LOT of torque. Its a totally different type of stress than the sharp force of the motor bouncing in the air on the transom.

Lund does not own any transom saver companies, they have no stake in any company and would prefer you wreck your transom after a few years so you can pay their dealers to replace it or buy a new boat. Transom is not in the hull warranty.
The transom is not a lifetime warranty?

That would suck as I too am using the M-Y wedge per my longtime Lund dealer.

Way easier than an old style transom saver; but I did always use a transom saver until this new boat.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019, 10:30 AM
Minnow

I have used a 4x4 block between the mount and motor for years. On my 620s I would drill holes and slide it over the pins. On my 1875 I just squeeze it between the mount and motor when lowering.
Take care,
Old 07-13-2019, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
If a bar type saver causes more damage, that can only occur if the boat and trailer are not set up correctly, in which case, you will likely experience more damage than the transom. As a trailer bounces and vibrates traveling down the road, the boat and trailer (above the springs) must move as one. If not, you have serious problems! If the trailer and boat move as one a bar saver CANNOT transfer road shocks that vary from the road shocks transferred to a transom. The bar, lower unit and transom act as a single unit as a triangular structure. This structure blocks the continuous torque oscillations of the tilted motor that otherwise would stress the transom by applying torque forces by the motor trying to rip the transom backwards off the boat. Absent a bar saver, the torque of the motor attempts to rotate out of phase with the vertical movements of the trailer and boat, at a rate, I estimate, of at least 1 to 2 oscillations per second on even relatively smooth roads. This is an incredible load on the transom at a rate far greater than when a boat is in the water.

Some one PLEASE make this a sticky, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If a bar type saver causes more damage, that can only occur if the boat and trailer are not set up correctly, in which case, you will likely experience more damage than the transom. As a trailer bounces and vibrates traveling down the road, the boat and trailer (above the springs) must move as one. If not, you have serious problems! If the trailer and boat move as one a bar saver CANNOT transfer road shocks that vary from the road shocks transferred to a transom. The bar, lower unit and transom act as a single unit as a triangular structure. This structure blocks the continuous torque oscillations of the tilted motor that otherwise would stress the transom by applying torque forces by the motor trying to rip the transom backwards off the boat. Absent a bar saver, the torque of the motor attempts to rotate out of phase with the vertical movements of the trailer and boat, at a rate, I estimate, of at least 1 to 2 oscillations per second on even relatively smooth roads.This is an incredible load on the transom at a rate far greater than when a boat is in the water.

I am not in the market, but if I were looking to buy, I would pass on a rig without a bar saver. That would make be nervous.
How is it that things that are bolted or riveted flex and move but somehow your boat that is held on the trailer by 3 nylon straps and it's own weight doesn't move or flex just because it's above the springs on the trailer?
Old 07-13-2019, 11:10 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CI_Guy View Post
How is it that things that are bolted or riveted flex and move but somehow your boat that is held on the trailer by 3 nylon straps and it's own weight doesn't move or flex just because it's above the springs on the trailer?
If the trailer doesn’t adequately support the boat then the boat will flex. It behoves the owner to assure the boat is adequately supported and tied down. If so the sprung portions of the trailer and boat move as one. I wonder how many leaky rivets are caused by improper boat/trailer setup?
Old 07-13-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If the trailer doesn’t adequately support the boat then the boat will flex. It behoves the owner to assure the boat is adequately supported and tied down. If so the sprung portions of the trailer and boat move as one. I wonder how many leaky rivets are caused by improper boat/trailer setup?
You cannot strap your boat down tight enough to prevent it from moving and flexing some as it bounces down the road. Even welded joints flex.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
You cannot strap your boat down tight enough to prevent it from moving and flexing some as it bounces down the road. Even welded joints flex.
You’re wasting your time with simple facts because it doesn’t fit their agenda.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 07-13-2019, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If the boat is properly fitted to the trailer and flush end to end with all bunks, there will be little to no flex. Case in point. Tracker put out the first Tundras with an improperly fitted trailer. The bunks didn't extend past the transom and left about 4" of the hull and transom hanging over the bunks. Guess what happened? Transoms were cracking welds and forming cracks in the bottom of the hull just past where the bunks ended. They changed the way the boats sat on the trailer, to properly fit with the bunks extending past the transom, and that problem solved.

Last edited by Custom Eyes; 07-13-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
You’re wasting your time with simple facts because it doesn’t fit their agenda.
Agenda??? OK, like we all own stock in a transom saver company or something. More like people like you with sensitive but large egos, who want to always go outside the box just to be different, cannot admit that your choice could possibly be inferior.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
Agenda??? OK, like we all own stock in a transom saver company or something. More like people like you with sensitive but large egos, who want to always go outside the box just to be different, cannot admit that your choice could possibly be inferior.
The other view is funny. When CI_Guy went with ‘the boat flexing on the trailer position’ I almost shot back: are you a Wedge manufacturer? Seriously. I have no financial interest in a bar saver. Not only do I stay at Holiday Inn Express, but I took structural mechanics.

For people who want to beat the s**t out of their boat there isn’t much more you can say.