Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dealing with the loss of your hunting buddy. - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Wallhanger

Want to see a grown man cry, ask me about my dogs sometimes.

I still miss them and at times find myself feeling sad, 4 times we had to go to the Vet and it just never got easier.

My condolences to anybody who has to go through this.

Our Vet gave this to us the first time and maybe it'll help a little..

Al

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
and pain should keep me from my sleep,
then you must do what must be done,
for we know this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,
but don't let grief then stay your hand,
for this day, more than the rest,
your love and friendship must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
what is to come can hold no fears.
Would you want me to suffer? So,
when the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
only stay with me until the end,
and hold me firm and speak to me,
until my eyes no longer see.

It is a kindness that you do to me,
although my tail it's last has waved,
from pain and suffering I have been saved.

Do not grieve, it should be you,
who must decide this thing to do.
We've been so close, we two these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Slot Fish

Default Best Buddies

Click image for larger version

Name:	old phone pictures 021.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	20605

Thanks for sharing guys. Our pups would be proud to know what an impact they had on us 2 leggers.

Grinder
Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Minnow

I lost my best friend on Monday. He was a lab/border mix, 11 1/2 and had liver failure. I can totally understand your feelings. Please accept my condolences and remember the fun and good times you had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 06:33 AM
Wallhanger

Three months later and still having a hard time some days. Went to the Pheasant Fest last weekend in MPLS and could not even go look or pet any yellow labs that were there. Our boy was 14 1/2 years old and was a great dog. Having our 2+ year old setter helps but its tough and only time will heal the loss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0712.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	498.9 KB
ID:	20608   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-22_09-19-22_603.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	489.4 KB
ID:	20609  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Wallhanger

Default facing that decision now

My oldest Griff, Buster, is 13 and he is losing control of his bowels, 13 messes in 5 days to clean up. He lays in it because it just comes out when he sleeps. I give him baths and clean up but it is getting hard. Been close to taking him in than he has a couple good days. Tear up just thinking about it. Always a tough decision.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Keeper

Default I too feel the pain.

I just had to make the decision 10 days ago as well, 15 year old Llewellin Setter, Molly. Fantastic grouse dog. The tears are running down my face as I type this and read others posts. They give you there whole life and ask for so little. It was the correct decision but that doesn't make it any easier. My thoughts go out to all who have had make this decision.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Wallhanger

I get all choked up reading AllenW's post. I read those exact words to my wife right off of WC back in June shortly before we had our friend Boone put down. I lost my train of thought about what I was going to say...mostly because I was just thinking about that big brown lab and all the good times we had.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Keeper

Default Sadly again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410shooter View Post
I just had to make the decision 10 days ago as well, 15 year old Llewellin Setter, Molly. Fantastic grouse dog. The tears are running down my face as I type this and read others posts. They give you there whole life and ask for so little. It was the correct decision but that doesn't make it any easier. My thoughts go out to all who have had make this decision.
Another sad day today. I had to go through this again with my 13 year old Munsterlander. it happened pretty fast and she sadly suffered the last 2 days, it was over a weekend. This will never be easy for anyone, at least anyone who has a heart. I had to find this old thread and read the poem again, tears are running down my face again but I will survive. I have a new puppy, 7 month old Pudelpointer, she will never take anyone's place but she will earn her own special place in my heart.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410shooter View Post
Another sad day today. I had to go through this again with my 13 year old Munsterlander. it happened pretty fast and she sadly suffered the last 2 days, it was over a weekend. This will never be easy for anyone, at least anyone who has a heart. I had to find this old thread and read the poem again, tears are running down my face again but I will survive. I have a new puppy, 7 month old Pudelpointer, she will never take anyone's place but she will earn her own special place in my heart.
I understand the suffering that happens when a cherished friend moves on and I am also easily moved to tears. My most cherished companion of all is now 12 and I can tell his time is short.

I have lost quite a few in my life and have never forgotten one of them. Each one had something special that I can continue to remember and I never forget them. I often look back at my photos and remember the good times I had with them.

410, you have the right attitude. I never thought of a new dog as replacing a cherished companion. I look at them as a new adventure and a new personality to know. They have never disappointed me. Each one has been unique, but they have all been faithful wonderful companions.

Frank
Old 12-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

It sounds like you treat your pets like i do. They are like your child and its hard when they go but keep your head up and remember the good times you had together.