Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Upgraded to same kind of boat but max horse power rating has changed - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-14-2019, 12:53 AM
Minnow

Default Upgraded to same kind of boat but max horse power rating has changed

Hey guys. I need some advise please. I sold my 2016 Crestliner Vision WT powered with an Evinrude 60 HP. The max power rating for that boat was 60 HP. I have upgraded to a 2020 Crestliner Vision WT with many more options. Crestliner has changed the max power rating to 75 HP. My dealer is saying to me , that the price point wouldn't be worth putting a 75 HP Etec on the boat. He figures I would be way better of with an 90 HP Etec. I am trading in a 2018 Etec 60 HO on the new motor with 3.5 hours.
Guys whats your thought on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

First off, you're talking about the 1600, right? If the hull is now rated to 75hp, how is your dealer recommending over-powering with a 90, unless you are in Canada?

HRG
Old 10-14-2019, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

how is your dealer recommending over-powering with a 90

That is what I was thinking...

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 09:34 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
First off, you're talking about the 1600, right? If the hull is now rated to 75hp, how is your dealer recommending over-powering with a 90, unless you are in Canada?

HRG
Yes it is a Vision 1600 WT . And yes I"m in Canada . What does being in Canada have anything to do with it ?

Last edited by Hartly; 10-14-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Hartly,
It is my understanding that the Canadian enforcement officers do not worry about the size of the motor on a particular hull.

But, double check your local area to see if that is the case where you live and use your boat.

Take care

p.s.
However, when I read the contents of this link:

https://www.boaterexam.com/canada/ed...ations-en.aspx

It would seem that the Canadian officials can and do check for motor hp on a particular rated boat hull.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Hartly,
It is my understanding that the Canadian enforcement officers do not worry about the size of the motor on a particular hull.

But, double check your local area to see if that is the case where you live and use your boat.

Take care

p.s.
However, when I read the contents of this link:

https://www.boaterexam.com/canada/ed...ations-en.aspx

It would seem that the Canadian officials can and do check for motor hp on a particular rated boat hull.
Thank you Rew. My big concern is Safety first , Warranty secondly and insurance thirdly. From the research I have been doing , the performance difference between a Etec 60HO and a Etec 75HP are minimal . And you are correct. In the 30 years I have been fishing not once did a Fish and wildlife officer ever compare the motor to the horse power plate on the boat. I wonder if there is a way to get more power out of the Etec 60HO. It is a de-tuned 90HP motor.

Last edited by Hartly; 10-14-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Minnow

Were you happy with the 60 horse?
Old 10-14-2019, 11:22 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanO View Post
Were you happy with the 60 horse?
It wasn't too bad. WOT was 34 miles an hour. She ran like a dream.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:05 PM
Wallhanger

I would check with your boat commission first. They may overlook a boat with a motor on it that's over the rated capacity, and then again they may not!
I went through something similar with the PA fish and boat commission, the boat is rated for 40hp and I asked about putting a 60/40 jet on it, they said that they go by the power head hp and although I probably would not have a problem "it would be up to the discretion of the officer".
I didn't like that answer, so to be safe I put a 40/30 jet on it.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:30 PM
Keeper

I would be very concerned with insurance and warranty. Can the dealer guarantee that the boat warranty will be valid? First call would be my insurance agent. I doubt you could get that combination insured...