Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Buying out of state boat - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boat Financing (Sponsored Forums) > Boat Loans / Extended Warranties 101

Old 12-17-2018, 01:04 PM
Keeper

Default Buying out of state boat

I live in WI, seriously considering a private-party sale boat in TX.

Any recommendations on financing? Local Credit Unions will NOT do private-party sales to out of state!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2018, 05:22 PM
Keeper

Loan thru BoatUS. If your not a member, join.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2018, 05:45 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglin View Post
I live in WI, seriously considering a private-party sale boat in TX.

Any recommendations on financing? Local Credit Unions will NOT do private-party sales to out of state!

Thanks!
We work with buyers and sellers in different states all the time. We have a very proven process to be sure sellers have the needed ownership docs, check for liens and handle the state work for the buyers.
We work with several lenders and can assist in every step.
Let us know how we can help.
Thank you,
Ken Lamain
(517) 543-6921 - Office
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2018, 09:53 AM
Keeper

Pm sent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reclending View Post
we work with buyers and sellers in different states all the time. We have a very proven process to be sure sellers have the needed ownership docs, check for liens and handle the state work for the buyers.
We work with several lenders and can assist in every step.
Let us know how we can help.
Thank you,
ken lamain
(517) 543-6921 - office
Old 12-29-2018, 07:17 PM
Keeper

I recommend taking the time to understand the titling rules. I imported my boat from Idaho - that's a rather arduous process because Idaho titles only the boat - but not the trailer. In my case, I bought a used boat from a dealership (original seller) in Idaho that provided a nice certificate for my trailer so it flew through titling. But if it wasn't for that, I'd have made trips to the State Patrol so they could look at the trailer, made sure it has a VIN, etc., and then done a three-year wait holding a provisional title, paying a bit of money each step.

It's little snags like that can foul up your day ...
Old 12-30-2018, 07:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternWashingtonBoater View Post
I recommend taking the time to understand the titling rules. I imported my boat from Idaho - that's a rather arduous process because Idaho titles only the boat - but not the trailer. In my case, I bought a used boat from a dealership (original seller) in Idaho that provided a nice certificate for my trailer so it flew through titling. But if it wasn't for that, I'd have made trips to the State Patrol so they could look at the trailer, made sure it has a VIN, etc., and then done a three-year wait holding a provisional title, paying a bit of money each step.

It's little snags like that can foul up your day ...
here in Indiana if we buy a trailer and it has a vin number we get a police check then if the state we bought the trailer doesn't require a title they will issue a title. if the trailer doesn't have a vin number its a little more complex. you have to get a police check then take pictures of the trailer then fill out some paperwork then send everything to the state for new numbers. they send you back new numbers for the trailer. you have to put these numbers on a metal plate then attach the plate to the trailer. then you have to get another police check to make sure the numbers is acceptable. then you go to the license branch and they issue a title with the new numbers.

I just spent 2 1/2 hrs trying to register a boat and trailer at the license branch that I bought in wi. first the title on the boat wasnt filled out by a dealer and they said only a dealer could reassighn a title. after an hour of going back and forth I finely got them to call the place I bought the boat. they wasnt a boat dealer so they didnt fill out the dealer part. they was a car dealer and could reassign titles. then the trailer had vin numbers but no title. I was told I didnt need one because trailers under 3000# didnt need one. but the license branch looked up the info for wi trailers and it said all trailers registered in wi had to have a title. we argued about the 3000# rule. but they kept telling me I had to have a title. they finely read see section 68 which said trailers under 3000# didnt have to be registered. they said it didnt have to be registered but it still had to have a title. I stopped them and said all trailers registered had to have a title, but trailers under 3000# didnt have to be registered, so my trailer wasnt registered and didnt need a title. we argued some more. but they gave in and titled the boat and trailer for me.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:30 PM
Slot Fish

The frustration really comes in when you get different answers on the same rule, from different people in the same office. The average State of County worker does not understand dry weight VS GVWR. A dry weight of 3,000 LBS is a BIG trailer. A GVWR of 3,000 is very common and easy to reach.
Having what the seller's state issues is the most important. Signed Bill of Sale and VIN pictures go a long way to getting things worked out.
Let us know if we can help.
Thank you,
Ken
Old 01-08-2019, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reclending View Post
The frustration really comes in when you get different answers on the same rule, from different people in the same office. The average State of County worker does not understand dry weight VS GVWR.
I had to show your post to my wife. She worked at a Deputy Registrars office for 13 years before she retired. Michigan may be different, but in MN about a third of the registrars offices are private businesses like the one she worked at, so the workers are not State or County workers. She makes no attempt to explain, justify or excuse the strange and bizzar rules and regulations that states enact to confuse the people on both sides of the transaction.
While there are a few part timers where she worked that only handled drivers license and tab renewals, the rest of the people working there handle so many commercial truck and trailer registrations where GVWR is one of the primary aspects of the transaction, to say they don't know the difference between dry weight and GVWR would be like saying the majority of the people in your business don't understand the difference between simple vs compound interest.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:57 AM
Slot Fish

"to say they don't know the difference between dry weight and GVWR would be like saying the majority of the people in your business don't understand the difference between simple vs compound interest."

Just telling you what we see in finishing 1200 loans last year. I NEVER SAY ALL - I SAID AVERAGE!! Obviously your wife is well above average. We work with states all over the country and some are worse than others. I am glad your wife was very competent, I only wish she worked in all the offices we deal with.
Ken
Old 07-20-2021, 07:56 PM
Minnow

I recommend spending some time learning about the titling rules. I imported my boat from Idaho, which was a difficult procedure because Idaho only titles the boat, not the trailer. In my situation, I purchased a used boat from a dealership (original seller) in Idaho, which gave a good certificate for my trailer, thus it went through titling quickly.