Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
GPS for the truck - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

I love and have had no issues with my Garmin Dezl, and my Garmin RV 780. I tried using my phone and LTE Ipad. I've tried Co-Pilot and Waze and a few others and the dedicated Garmins are much nicer.

I do also run the Garmin Smartlink app on my phone if traveling a longer way and connect via bluetooth to the Garmin for instant live updates, like crashes that cause backups, construction weather etc. It also then will display your text messages and incoming calls if you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Question for everyone.

I am using the built in GPS provided by Ford. MOST of the time it is just fine. However, It will NOT search for (with dependability) a "rest stop" as in interstate hwy rest stop, along my route.

Has any one had good results specifically finding rest stops, in advance, along one's route when traveling?

I am not opposed to buying an aftermarket GPS to use along with the built in unit.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:22 PM
Wallhanger

I run the Garmin Nuvi which is similar to the DEZL. Not in the truck, I run on ATV or snowmobile. No issues yet. On the ATV I put a gallon ziplock over it. On the sled nothing.

2757 and 2797. I buy them used on Ebay or wherever.
Solix 12 G1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2020, 04:02 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post
Question for everyone.

I am using the built in GPS provided by Ford. MOST of the time it is just fine. However, It will NOT search for (with dependability) a "rest stop" as in interstate hwy rest stop, along my route.

Has any one had good results specifically finding rest stops, in advance, along one's route when traveling?

I am not opposed to buying an aftermarket GPS to use along with the built in unit.
Is it possible you need to update your maps?? rest stops are pretty reliable and don't move, not having them on a GPS is a Huge OOOPs.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:05 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
I run the Garmin Nuvi which is similar to the DEZL. Not in the truck, I run on ATV or snowmobile. No issues yet. On the ATV I put a gallon ziplock over it. On the sled nothing.

2757 and 2797. I buy them used on Ebay or wherever.
Because of this thread I jumped on Ebay to look around for a deal, and just got a garmin 51 for $40, jumped in with 17 minutes left in the bidding. Was ready to spend over $100 for the same one a week ago!
Old 08-10-2020, 06:05 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Question for everyone.

You’re expectations for a Ford are a bit stretched, don’t you think.......lol
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 08-10-2020, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspencreek View Post
Is it possible you need to update your maps?? rest stops are pretty reliable and don't move, not having them on a GPS is a Huge OOOPs.
It's possible but as you say rest stops, once built are there to stay. (for the most part)

It just seems that;
(A) the unit is not programed with the information As example, a known rest stop been there for years. Did a search as I was approaching said rest stop, result was nothing found. By that time I was driving right past the exit for said rest stop.

(B) or when it does list a rest stop (using the "along my route" selection) it will give me a choice which is either on another road or several miles behind me. Keep in mind this is when I am already traveling a route, on the interstate Hwy, which the GPS unit has created for me.

It just seems that the software in this unit is lacking a lot of information.

Another example is searching for well known recreational bodies of water. The GPS search function could not locate two out of three Colorado lakes, even though all three were shown on the GPS map when zoomed in on that particular area.

As a side note, I just got back from my Colorado trip to find a letter from Ford advising me I was "due for a map update" Opened the letter to see I could get an update for $149.00 Makes me wonder if the update would include the two lakes "not found".
Old 08-10-2020, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
You’re expectations for a Ford are a bit stretched, don’t you think.......lol
No more than your expectations for an E-tec.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
It's possible but as you say rest stops, once built are there to stay. (for the most part)

It just seems that;
(A) the unit is not programed with the information As example, a known rest stop been there for years. Did a search as I was approaching said rest stop, result was nothing found. By that time I was driving right past the exit for said rest stop.

(B) or when it does list a rest stop (using the "along my route" selection) it will give me a choice which is either on another road or several miles behind me. Keep in mind this is when I am already traveling a route, on the interstate Hwy, which the GPS unit has created for me.

It just seems that the software in this unit is lacking a lot of information.

Another example is searching for well known recreational bodies of water. The GPS search function could not locate two out of three Colorado lakes, even though all three were shown on the GPS map when zoomed in on that particular area.

As a side note, I just got back from my Colorado trip to find a letter from Ford advising me I was "due for a map update" Opened the letter to see I could get an update for $149.00 Makes me wonder if the update would include the two lakes "not found".

Yeah, I'm going to bet even a maps update will not be worth the effort, particularly at $149. The garmins all have lifetime maps, so updates are free, time consuming but still free.
I have a 'built in" GPS on my Nissan Rouge, but it is very cumbersome to use, the maps are confusing and don't follow along as quickly as I'm used to with the Garmins, but it's my 3rd car so it sits home ALOT!!
Old 08-13-2020, 02:25 AM
Minnow

i had the same issue...
i just start using my phine with google maps on it
also, you can check for it here