Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Eating Saskatoon Jam and committing to Vermilion - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-21-2021, 11:31 AM
Keeper

Default Eating Saskatoon Jam and committing to Vermilion

Not sure what exactly is in the jam, but I bought it in 2019 during our last Ontario trip and it reminds me of great times. I literally just booked the Ontario back-up plan and found a place on Vermilion and a guide for the first day there. 2nd week of July. I needed to have something in the books for my small group to keep the tradition and nucleus together. Dad is getting older (may need major surgery) and the annual fishing trip is something that took a great deal of effort by me to get off the ground several years ago. I know my efforts are hopefully laying the foundation for our children and grandchildren to have an annual expedition that brings us together.

Normally I am planning on how many salted minnows to bring. How much those leeches are going to cost me. This is different. And eating my Canada Jam thinking about it all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0215.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	324254  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2021, 11:40 AM
Wallhanger

Saskatoon Berries
Old 02-21-2021, 03:19 PM
Keeper

Thumbs up

Great post!!! How exciting to book a trip & have something to look forward to & plan! Where on Vermilion are you staying? Glad to hear you booked a guide too. Vermillion can be tough to fish & having a guide will help make it a good fishing trip! Vermilion is a big beautiful lake with lots of areas to fish and multi species too! Good luck & enjoy your trip & post an up-date when you return!

RBF. ❤️🎣
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2021, 03:57 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rather-be-fishin View Post
Great post!!! How exciting to book a trip & have something to look forward to & plan! Where on Vermilion are you staying? Glad to hear you booked a guide too. Vermillion can be tough to fish & having a guide will help make it a good fishing trip! Vermilion is a big beautiful lake with lots of areas to fish and multi species too! Good luck & enjoy your trip & post an up-date when you return!

RBF. ❤️🎣
We rented a VRBO right at the mouth of Pike Bay. Never been to Vermilion, was looking forward to our 3rd year at Abamasagi with Twin Lakes Outfitters. The teen boys are excited...so I must be doing something right.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:27 PM
Slot Fish

Default Canadian Jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreindy View Post
Not sure what exactly is in the jam, but I bought it in 2019 during our last Ontario trip and it reminds me of great times. I literally just booked the Ontario back-up plan and found a place on Vermilion and a guide for the first day there. 2nd week of July. I needed to have something in the books for my small group to keep the tradition and nucleus together. Dad is getting older (may need major surgery) and the annual fishing trip is something that took a great deal of effort by me to get off the ground several years ago. I know my efforts are hopefully laying the foundation for our children and grandchildren to have an annual expedition that brings us together.

Normally I am planning on how many salted minnows to bring. How much those leeches are going to cost me. This is different. And eating my Canada Jam thinking about it all.
For years I heard about this jam, but didn't pay to much attention, finally I tried it....got my CASE of it a few months ago. Yes, it was so d@#&ed good, I ordered a case of it!! Two of every flavor, Can't decide if I like the strawberry, blueberry, or the blackberry the best, but all the rest are right there also, all flavors very good.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:38 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairebear View Post
Saskatoon Berries
Well that makes sense! Never heard of a saskatoon berry before but it hit the spot today as I chased the blues away.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:37 AM
Wallhanger

I wasn't kidding.

http://saskatoonberryinstitute.org/saskatoons/
Old 02-22-2021, 07:03 AM
Wallhanger

If you ever have the opportunity to have a piece of Saskatoon berry pie....avail yourself of it. You won't regret it.

On a snow goose hunt years ago the local town held a hunter's supper, and much of the food was donated by the locals. The locals we stayed with knew everyone, and we made some great connections in the area, and it's where I was first introduced to Saskatoon berries.

As to Canadian Jam, I bring back a can for all my employees when we do the annual Ontario trips, sadly missed it last year, hoping for 2021. Yah, I know you can get it in the states, but it doesn't have half the label in French down here....
Old 02-22-2021, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

We have had Saskatoon berry pie a couple times while waterfowl hunting in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Best pie ever....the preserves are awesome too.

Another thing to miss regarding the border closure.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:52 PM
Minnow

I grew up in Saskatoon and do agree the berries make really good pies but I must admit that I now prefer huckleberry pie, sorry. I certainly hope that we can welcome all you guys back next summer but I am not that hopeful with our inept leadership. Best wishes.