Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cast Net for Bait - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Wallhanger

Default Cast Net for Bait

I am thinking about buying a cast net to catch some bait. Never had one before. In Cabelas catalog they list two, a nylon and a mono. Exact same price. They come in 3, 4, 5, and 6' size. What is the difference, or what is better, nylon or mono. What size would be good to begin with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Minnow

If you are new to this I would recommend going with the 3' or 4' at most. The size is normally listed as the radius so a 4' would spread to an 8' circle. Most people I know that use one a lot like the mono rather than nylon. It sinks faster and is somewhat easier to untangle. It takes practice and can be frustrating learning but it is also fun and a great way to catch fresh bait. Good luck!
Old 08-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Wallhanger

Be sure to check your local regulations first. Check the cracker cast nets web page for the best how to throw videos. They also make wonderful nets.
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Knowing the type & size of the bait you are targeting would be the first thing I would ask as it will determine what size mesh you should be using. Second question would be to ask what the average depth of water you'll be typically throwing for bait is?

As a quality net is essential for my business (Striper Guide) I can tell you that a "cheap" net will not perform for you and not only can, but assuredly will, be a discouraging waste of money! If you plan on using a cast net even only on occasion, a quality net is a worthwhile investment.

I only use a Calusa net, or a net made by Memphis Net Co. These are "panel" nets which throw very well, open very well and provide excellent results when you take the time to learn to throw one properly. You can find an excellent method for throwing a cast net here (http://www.calusa.com/) and this is the best method I've found so far. I use the alternate "denture" method and with only a little practice you will be able to utilize a throw net effectively!!

I only use a mono net, the nylon ones just don't hold up, slow to fall and if used in deeper water will actually close up on itself before it reaches the bottom. A little tip if I may: When you buy a mono net (cheap or quality) one of the best things you can do before you ever unfold it is to soak it in a bucket full of warm water with a cup (yes a full cup) of liquid fabric softener (Downey or something close) overnight, rinse well and start practicing!! While practicing in your back (or front) yard, it is usually better to elevate yourself above the ground about the same height as you would be above the water in your boat. Practice, practice, practice and you'll get it in no time. Myself, I wouldn't use anything smaller than a 7 or 8 ft (radius) net (check your local & state laws though) and once you master either one of those, jumping up to a 10 ft or larger net is a breeze. I use a 10 ft radius almost all the time, 3/8 inch mesh with 1 1/2 lb (per radius ft) weight. Much of my bait comes out of water 15 - 30 ft deep and the larger net makes it much easier to get my bait quickly!

I've got several other links to some good "U-Tube" videos of net throwing techniques if you want to view them and if ever you have other "throw net" questions feel free to PM me or email me and I'll be glad to help!

Good luck with you bait catching!