Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Engine Height? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-26-2020, 11:10 AM
Slot Fish

Default Engine Height?

What do you think? I'm thinking this outboard could come up 1 more hole.

It's a Yamaha VMAX Sho 115 hp Tiller on a 2019 Alumacraft Competitor 205 Tiller.

I am running a 15P 4 Blade Aluminum Quick silver prop.

RPMS are between 6000 and 6150 depending on load in the boat at full trim , wide open throttle.

Do you think it looks like it could come up 1 more hole?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_161853.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	316852   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_165653.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	498.3 KB
ID:	316854   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_165659.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	495.7 KB
ID:	316856  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 11:17 AM
Wallhanger

You've got up to 6300rpm to work with, so why not? Worse case, if you start seeing a lot of cavitation making a tight turn, is that you'll need to drop it back down.

Let 'er breath! HRG
Old 03-26-2020, 11:26 AM
Slot Fish

That's what I'm thinking. Plus I got the same prop in a 17p because I was told by the local marine to start there.. they were wrong LOL!

So if I need to step the prop up I can.

I don't get why they make the deeper transoms but not deep enough to prevent you from having lift a motor to the 3rd hole!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 11:32 AM
Wallhanger

Should be able to see the entire cavitation plate. Although running a alum prop you won’t be able to trim as high.

You may want to consider a stainless steel prop. It will act like a new boat and your slip numbers will go way down.

What speed are you running trimmed out and wot?
BT terrova link
Old 03-26-2020, 11:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyLabs View Post

I don't get why they make the deeper transoms but not deep enough to prevent you from having lift a motor to the 3rd hole!
Be careful what you wish for! If you want the transom to be fine-tuned for your exact combination, what about the guy that wants an E-TEC, Merc, 'Zuki on that hull,,,,,,,,

HRG
Old 03-26-2020, 11:39 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
Should be able to see the entire cavitation plate. Although running a alum prop you won’t be able to trim as high.

You may want to consider a stainless steel prop. It will act like a new boat and your slip numbers will go way down.

What speed are you running trimmed out and wot?
Wide open trimmed out depending on conditions and load 37 - 39 mph (GPS) @ 6000 - 6150

I will add the motor in my eyes is very fuel efficient. We run 20+ miles 1 way to a cottage. We did this run loaded for the week, fished all week. At times with 4 people in the boat and came home a week later with 10 gals left out of 50 gals we started with.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:44 AM
Slot Fish

I am probably just going to forget about doing this because I don't think it will be an easy change.

I won't be able to get the motor to sit flat against transom like it is now because it looks like the transom cap will get crushed or bent if I go up another hole or I need to get a flat aluminum plate to add space just enough to get around the transom cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200402_204026.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	489.5 KB
ID:	317130  
Old 04-03-2020, 03:04 PM
Keeper

Don't you need to take a side photo of the back of the boat and see where the bottom of he transom lines up with the first plate above the prop for the best height position?
Old 04-03-2020, 04:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyLabs View Post
I am probably just going to forget about doing this because I don't think it will be an easy change.

I won't be able to get the motor to sit flat against transom like it is now because it looks like the transom cap will get crushed or bent if I go up another hole or I need to get a flat aluminum plate to add space just enough to get around the transom cap.

I've had to add a 1/8" plate just for that reason before,,,,,,

HRG
Old 04-03-2020, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Luv,
Before you ever consider lifting your motor up a hole, take the boat out on a day when the wind is blowing 40 mph and the waves are running big.

When the boat is rocking and pitching in the waves, if the motor is mounted too high - even with the motor trimmed full down - it may cavitate from time to time.

So, if you can work the waves to your hearts content and still get no cavitating with an appropriate amount of trim, you might consider mounting the motor higher.

Best wishes.