Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Replacing brushes on Minnkota Powerdrive. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-24-2018, 08:29 AM
Minnow

Default Replacing brushes on Minnkota Powerdrive.

I needed a seal kit on my Powerdrive 65. The shop recommended new brushes while I had it opened up. I can't get the old brushes removed. There is a tab on the terminal connector that secures the wire in place and I cannot get it depressed to release it from the housing. Does anyone have a tip? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2018, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Use a punch with a big handle so that you can get good pressure on the tab to depress it.
Depending on the design of the tab, you may need a backing piece behind the tab if there is a possibility that excess pressure could bend the tab.

Good luck
Old 06-24-2018, 02:37 PM
Minnow

Thanks.

The terminal is inside the housing, which prevents easy access to the tab. I can't quite get a small flat screwdriver in to depress it. The housing is plastic so the option to add more force is out. Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2018, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidebySide View Post
I needed a seal kit on my Powerdrive 65. The shop recommended new brushes while I had it opened up. I can't get the old brushes removed. There is a tab on the terminal connector that secures the wire in place and I cannot get it depressed to release it from the housing. Does anyone have a tip? Thanks.
Are you talking about the spade connector that makes the electrical connection from the power wires coming down the shaft to the brush plate?

If so, those connectors might be soldered in place. That connection was soldered on my Minnkota (although it was a different model)
Old 06-24-2018, 04:43 PM
Minnow

Yes. The spade connectors. I don't think they were soldered. Feel like a plug in type connect as I would expect from looking at the replacements. I could be wrong?
Old 06-24-2018, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidebySide View Post
Yes. The spade connectors. I don't think they were soldered. Feel like a plug in type connect as I would expect from looking at the replacements. I could be wrong?
Yes spade connectors which after being pushed together, male into female, were then soldered at the factory. I presume this was to enhance the electrical connection at that point.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Soldering is certainly a good idea for these connections. After all; for many folks, the lower unit will never be opened up for the life of the motor and if so; the mfg. wants to insure a solid electrical connection for the life of the motor or years of motor ownership.

Good luck
Old 06-25-2018, 12:33 PM
Minnow

Got it done. Had to remove the backing plate to access the terminal connectors. Thanks for the suggestions.