Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Reminder about theft from boats - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-25-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Reminder about theft from boats

While staying overnight in Eau Claire Friday night one of our three boats had a bunch of gear stolen from it. Boat was covered, but excess gear that could not be stored was stolen from the boat. Probably a couple thousand dollar loss.

Video surveillance shows a guy on a bicycle going through the parking lot looking boats over before pilfering anything loose from the boat.

It just reiterates that you can not leave anything in your boat unlocked. We read about this here on WC several times a year.

It matters not what hotel you stay at. The night crawlers are always looking for an easy target.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 07:17 PM
Wallhanger

There is an abundance of thieves out there and unfortunately it's not getting any better.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:51 AM
Wallhanger

My son who works in the insurance business told me hotels are a HUGE problem for thefts.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

I am always weary of staying at a hotel with my boat. I avoid major metropolitan areas and try and pick more rural Mom and Pop places.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:03 AM
Slot Fish

https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fi...ra-last-night/

Hop
Old 08-26-2019, 10:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
While staying overnight in Eau Claire Friday night one of our three boats had a bunch of gear stolen from it. Boat was covered, but excess gear that could not be stored was stolen from the boat. Probably a couple thousand dollar loss.

Video surveillance shows a guy on a bicycle going through the parking lot looking boats over before pilfering anything loose from the boat.

It just reiterates that you can not leave anything in your boat unlocked. We read about this here on WC several times a year.

It matters not what hotel you stay at. The night crawlers are always looking for an easy target.

Pooch
Sorry to hear that hope they catch the guy! I've been stopping in Rice Lake, haven't had any problems but it only takes one thief to ruin that.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:19 PM
Wallhanger

Never going to stop it but one way to slow it down is to NEVER buy used fishing tackle unless you know the seller To many guys looking for a good deal and buy stolen stuff which feeds the fire. Buddy of mine saw some stuff on Craigs List and it was his. Must have been tough riding a bike with that much tackle

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 09-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

Pooch
I grew up near Eau Claire and that is sad for sure. I have stayed in Sioux Lookout many times and we are going to overnight it in Dryden in a few weeks and I really worry up there. A couple of thousand dollar loss doesn't take much anymore with Rod and Reel combo's at $500+ each and a decent graph at $2000. You have reminded me to lock my storage compartments, it might slow them down but you are right, it's tough to try and make everything secure unless you bring it in the room with you. 3 years ago I dropped my boat off at a canvas shop and that night, in a fenced in area, some lowlife took a HDS 12 out of the dash, an HDS 9 out of the console in the front, however the HDS 9 on my dash had a Durasafe lock and they could not get it off. luckily this was covered by the shops insurance. Today my HDS 12 is secured with tamper proof screws as well the HDS 9 is bolted on with nylock nuts on the back and the front panel is secured with tamper proof screws. I still worry that if anyone wants them bad enough they will just destroy the panels trying to get to them. It's a hard way to get new equipment, especially if your favorite item is not being made anymore. I try to look at it like Robin Williams in the movie, The World According to Garp, where Robin and Helen are looking at a house and a plane flies into the top floor as they were standing in the front. After the crash Williams proclaims, We'll take it.....Look Honey the odds of this ever happening again are astronomical! Hopefully it applies.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:38 AM
Wallhanger

Sucks, but since I started going on overnight fishing trips I have always filled the motel room with everything. Haul it out every morning and back in every night.

Also pack the truck full of stuff when traveling(no worries when stopped and less weight on the trailer wheels), nothing goes in the boat unless absolutely necessary. The Canadian border guys hate this, and twice I have had a Canadian border guards pull me over for a search and they just say "Everything is packed in the truck?, just go ahead"
Old 09-06-2019, 06:46 AM
Wallhanger

Sorry to hear about the theft, Pooch. I hope to head up to LOW on solo trip in a couple weeks if my shoulder surgery recovery allows. I think I might just try to sleep in truck. Not meaning to hijack your post but are there any good rest stops to sleep a few hours between Duluth and border?