Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Sakakawea or Oahe? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-23-2020, 06:36 AM
Minnow

Default Sakakawea or Oahe?

I am taking my nephew on a fishing trip for his high school graduation. Looking at either Lake Oahe or Sakakawea in June. I know both are amazing fisheries and can’t go wrong with either one, but would like to hear your thoughts on which would be best in terms of both numbers and quality of fish. Also, if you have any recommendations on guides, I would appreciate any referrals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 06:51 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

This won't help you make the decision but I would let the young man make the decision. Let him know his two options. Let him decide on the lake, species, time ect. You can tell him he is allowed to research and recommend a guide but ultimately you will pick the guide but you want his input.

There are many life lessons to be learned in doing this. Also during the planning there will be many calls to his uncle asking questions and opinions which will strengthen your bond and make ya feel pretty darn proud also.

Nice gift, you are a very good uncle.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:35 AM
Keeper

I’m local to the area and have a ton of experience with both lakes. Seriously you can’t really go wrong with either right now. Both are in great shape with excellent populations of Walleye and good sized fish. Oahe coughed up a 34.5” fish last week. Once you make your choice you need to decide which part of each lake you’ll fish. They are big lakes and the fish turn on in different areas at different times. June is a good month though. That time of year I would stick to the north 1/2 of Oahe (Mobridge, Akaska, ND/SD state line area) or the middle section of Sakakawea (Van Hook, New Town, Deepwater area)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 09:31 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkerslayer View Post
I’m local to the area and have a ton of experience with both lakes. Seriously you can’t really go wrong with either right now. Both are in great shape with excellent populations of Walleye and good sized fish. Oahe coughed up a 34.5” fish last week. Once you make your choice you need to decide which part of each lake you’ll fish. They are big lakes and the fish turn on in different areas at different times. June is a good month though. That time of year I would stick to the north 1/2 of Oahe (Mobridge, Akaska, ND/SD state line area) or the middle section of Sakakawea (Van Hook, New Town, Deepwater area)

I have heard Sak has some impressive Pike. Is it a needle in the haystack type of fishing to get them or is there a reasonable chance at targeting them? Are the big Pike system wide or just in select area's? If you don't want to make the info public just shoot me a PM.

Thank you.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:26 AM
Keeper

Both lakes grow tremendous pike. It’s easy to target them late ice fishing and as soon as the ice starts coming out. They congregate in the back bays and fishing can be outstanding from shore as well as out of a boat if you can get the boat in. As it warms up it gets considerably tougher as they disperse throughout the lake, especially for the big ones (40”+). I’d say anytime after mid-May it’s fairly tough to find them. A person can catch decent numbers of pike by casting shorelines and trolling shallow I. May and June, but the really big ones are just hard to come by. It does become a bit of the needle in the haystack that you speak of. I hope that helps!
Old 05-24-2020, 02:56 PM
Minnow

Thanks That Minnesota Guy (TMG) and Honkerslayer! It sounds like we can't make a wrong decision here. I think I am going to take TMG's advice and let my nephew decide. I am kind of leaning toward Sakakawea, but either way, I will get to spend time with me nephew and fish for eyes.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:02 PM
Minnow

Honkerslayer,

One more follow-up question. I am looking at two options for this trip. The first is just to hire a guide for 2 days of fishing (can't afford more than that). The second is to hire a guide for one day and pull my boat up and fish a couple more days on our own. My hesitancy in pulling my boat is that my boat is fairly small - 17 foot with a 115 hp. It works great for my local waters, but afraid it wouldn't handle the bigger water, especially if there is much wind. I am guessing most boats on Oahe are 20' or bigger. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 05-25-2020, 03:51 PM
Wallhanger

You should be fine with your boat lots of them that size on the water. Just have to be mindful of the weather and winds. I used to fish Oahe a lot with a 18' Lund Alaskan with a 60 hp motor. **** years ago I fished it out of a 16' Lowe with a 15 hp Johnson,
Old 05-26-2020, 06:15 AM
Keeper

Agree with Brentrack on this one. As long as you keep an eye on the weather you’ll be fine. I fished for many years out of a 17 footer before my recent upsized boat. Once you decide which lake and your dates let me know and I can point you in the right direction on areas and techniques for your specific trip.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:27 PM
Wallhanger

I am going June 6th to Mobridge for the 26th year in a row. I have fished it with a 14'6" Lakeland 40 hp motor, 17' Alumacraft 90 hp, 18' Warrior 150 HP, 19' Warrior 225 HP, to my current 219 Lund GL with a 300 V Rod. I think you will find that you can get out of the wind/big water easier in a smaller boat on Oahe because it has more accessible places to launch. Also plenty of bends in the river to hide !! I have also been to Sakakawea 3 times and feel a bigger rig is needed much like when fishing Devils Lake. Although common sense and a 17' boat will work in either place. Many good guides out there. The May issue of Dakota Country has some good info on fishing there and Brent Kemnitz is one of the featured guides. He has a motel and guide service in Mobridge. Mo Pro Guide, Mo Rest motel. Catching fish will not be a problem at either destination you chose. You will love it !!!