Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Repacking Trailer Bearings - How Often? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 11-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Keeper

Default Repacking Trailer Bearings - How Often?

I bought my boat and trailer new in 2013. It probably gets dunked in the water about 20 times (x2 for in and out) per year so that means I have about 40 trips in in the past two seasons. I have bearing buddies and give them a squirt or two a couple times per year. I look for leaks or anything unusual as well as feel the hubs after traveling for excess heat. Total mileage per year is under 200 miles. How often should I have the bearings repacked on my single axle Shorelander bunk? I'm thinking I should have the dealer do it this year. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Wallhanger

Ideally every fall, even with Bearing Buddies. I just don't know anyone who does that.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Wallhanger

The problem is you never know which trip may have let a little water into the bearings. If you leave the water in over winter storage the bearings and races can get rust spots on them that can cause the bearings to go bad the next season. The best is to repack them each fall before storage. Wiredog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Crest,
I repack them at least every 10 years.

I use bearing buddies and insure that they always have a bit of spring pressure on them to retard the entrance of water.

I also jack up the wheels ever year and spin them to check for any signs of roughness or noise.

As long as you keep the water out of the bearings, you don't need to repack them.

So, repack them whenever you feel discomfort about them, if you hear any noise or other issues or if you just want to repack them.

The one issue that one needs to be very careful about when repacking the wheels, is how one removes the dust covers or bearing buddies.

If one removes the dust covers or bearing buddies, by prying only on one side of the hub, it is very very easy to make the outside of the hub bell shaped. If the outside of the hub becomes bell shaped, it will no longer hold the dust cover or bearing buddy in place.

If you have any discomfort at all about the bearings on the trailer, repack them every year.

Your choice.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Keeper

i like to keep at them so they stay full, if they are then no water can enter. one way to be sure is to keep adding greese, day after day, until you see it start spitting on the back side of the tire,, i know its a little messy, but then you know they are full.. and as said spin once in a while and listen;; also dont spare on the grease, get a good, marine water repel grease. one last thing,,, get your boat in and out quick. i see people sit and talk with there hubs in the water,, mine are under water about 10seconds, putting in and 2min. taking out;;
Old 11-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfishon View Post
i like to keep at them so they stay full, if they are then no water can enter. one way to be sure is to keep adding greese, day after day, until you see it start spitting on the back side of the tire,, i know its a little messy, but then you know they are full.. and as said spin once in a while and listen;; also dont spare on the grease, get a good, marine water repel grease. one last thing,,, get your boat in and out quick. i see people sit and talk with there hubs in the water,, mine are under water about 10seconds, putting in and 2min. taking out;;
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic when you say fill it until you see grease is spitting out the back?
If grease is spitting out the back you have ruined the rear seal and have given the water a path to the bearings.
They should be filled so that there is pressure on the spring to stop water infiltration but not filled to the max so that they blow out the seal.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

I monitor my bearing/bearing buddies with a digital infrared temperature gun. I keep an eye on what temperature they are running individually. I keep it right in the truck all the time. If I start seeing one running on the high side I change it out.
HB Helix 12 SI
112Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
Noco Genius Battery Chargers
w5
Old 11-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfishon View Post
Really ?
Old 11-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Wallhanger

When I had grease, I cleaned and repacked once every year.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Keeper

Guys thanks for the feedback. I see the opinions are all over the board on this one. I'm not quite ready to say the fishing season is over and I am hoping to get out to the Wolf River at least once more before the WI deer season. Thanks again for all your opinions I will mull it over and make a decision before winterizing the boat.