Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Finding Fort Peck lake trout - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-13-2021, 06:07 AM
Wallhanger

Tex

I fish lake Superior often, and I have found SI quickly becomes a lot less useful in deep water. It is great for finding structure, weed lines, and fish off to the side in 50ft or less but not as helpful in 100 + feet of water. When I am fishing Lake Trout and Salmon it is mostly 2G sonar and they show up very nicely. You don't always know if they are Trout or Whitefish but you will mark them.

good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2021, 06:49 AM
Keeper

Thanks for the response, I figured that might be the case. Do the trout sit at the bottom or are they suspended so they stick out on 2d?
Old 04-13-2021, 08:16 AM
Wallhanger

It does depend on the time of year, in the spring on Lake Superior right now water temp is right around 36 degree's you catch them just about anywhere in the water column. Last weekend we caught salmon and trout from the surface mostly and one as deep as 40ft. As it warms up the lake trout are typically a deep bite. Most of the time you can see Lake Trout easily just off the bottom, and our cannon balls are near bottom. Trout will come up and take higher baits but in my experience they like it right across the bottom later in the year, and if you see trout on a little break they will pound it right as the bait clears the break and surprises them. Typically we are pulling spoons at depth.

This time of year you just never know what you will catch on Superior, Coho, Browns, Splake, Steelhead, Lake Trout. etc.

Lake trout tend to make very nice fish arches on 2D sonar.

Every body of water has it's own tricks that seem to work.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:25 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcl2 View Post
Thanks for the response, I figured that might be the case. Do the trout sit at the bottom or are they suspended so they stick out on 2d?

This is what you are looking for. From last June.

https://i.postimg.cc/XYpytLRQ/20200626-162815.jpg

We caught them on every drop of our jigs here, drop to the bottom and wham. If you missed them they would be right back, and chase it up 10 ft.
8 to 12 pounds, strong fish, we had to take a break after a couple, no kidding. An hour or two was enough to wear us out.

Looks like there is a school of ciscos in 25 to 30 feet.

Caught them in this same spot, a hump surrounded by deeper water, for several days straight, and then they moved on. but found more in similar places.

Can't get the picture right side up using the attachment feature, click link above for correct view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_162815.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	498.2 KB
ID:	325602