Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Point 1 mounted next to magnet?!? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-06-2020, 06:34 PM
Wallhanger

You didn't read the whole post! The error is less than 3'. I routinely have less than 1' HDOP. If that antenna is in the middle of the boat it is ten feet from the transducer. If approached from a different direction than when the waypoint was plotted it could in fact have a 20' error just because it is not nearer to the transducer. WAAS is the wide area augmentation system which uses ground based stations which takes out almost all of the error from the satellites. All modern GPS units use WAAS. Your take on accuracy is 20 years out of date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2020, 05:32 AM
Wallhanger

Bob,
I've worked exclusively with gps systems for 16 years and researched and studied satellites in grad school prior to that with an electronics degree prior to that. If you think that putting your GPS antenna close to your transducer helps you catch more fish that's fine with me.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:36 PM
Wallhanger

Default Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPKyllo View Post
Bob,
I've worked exclusively with gps systems for 16 years and researched and studied satellites in grad school prior to that with an electronics degree prior to that. If you think that putting your GPS antenna close to your transducer helps you catch more fish that's fine with me.
I'm with Bob on this one. I don't know if it will help you catch more fish or not, but there is NO doubt that having the GPS antenna as close as possible to the location of the transducer being used will increase your ability to come back to a given point. Having them close together reduces the error created as the GPS point (antenna) and the transducer location increases. On some boats this can easily be 17' - 20' or more.

And, yes for me, in certain circumstances, it does make a difference as to how many fish I catch. I have had the GPS antenna within 3' of my transducer for more than 25 years.

To the original poster: I would move the point one for several reasons including what is mentioned above. There are lots of ways to cover the hole! You just need to get creative. I have even done something like this with an adhesive rubber pad like what Ranger has used in the past. Put one on both sides of the boat and it will appear like it was factory.

Last edited by JAK; 08-07-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2020, 06:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post

I'm with Bob on this one. I don't know if it will help you catch more fish or not, but there is NO doubt that having the GPS antenna as close as possible to the location of the transducer being used will increase your ability to come back to a given point. Having them close together reduces the error created as the GPS point (antenna) and the transducer location increases. On some boats this can easily be 17' - 20' or more.

And, yes for me, in certain circumstances, it does make a difference as to how many fish I catch. I have had the GPS antenna within 3' of my transducer for more than 25 years.

To the original poster: I would move the point one for several reasons including what is mentioned above. There are lots of ways to cover the hole! You just need to get creative. I have even done something like this with an adhesive rubber pad like what Ranger has used in the past. Put one on both sides of the boat and it will appear like it was factory.
How can you prove what you claim? I've done enough testing to know otherwise. If you have confidence in what you do that's great. It honestly doesn't make any difference where you have you antenna. You'll be close enough.

Last edited by KPKyllo; 08-07-2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post

Add me to the list of firm believers that closer is better.

At its very simplest, even if you don’t believe it makes a difference, why add an extra 10-20’ of potential error? There is error with any waypoint, but why compound it?

I have seen first hand on multiple occasions the effect that the distance from transducer to the GPS antennae has on the quality/accuracy of live mapping and recorded sonar data used for creating maps. The closer the antennae to the transducer, the better the map, and the difference is significant.

To the OP, in my opinion, it’s well worth the effort to relocate the Point1 to a spot as close the the transducer as possible, without magnetic interference.

Waxy
Old 08-07-2020, 10:19 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for the advice. I will be moving the point 1.

Nate
Old 08-08-2020, 01:39 PM
Slot Fish

I moved the point 1, I’m glad to have saved my speaker and like the idea of more accurate waypoints.

Also drilling 3/4” holes in your pretty fiberglass boat makes you forget about the tiny scratch on the gunnel from the net!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9BE42C94-61F7-468A-BB94-D4F82E990D2C_1596915532927.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	320832  

Last edited by Nate0404; 08-08-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:43 PM
Slot Fish

I covered the hole with a GoPro mount, I don’t really film myself fishing though. I guess this makes me a wannabe wannabe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D02BFDCE-6ABE-40AA-9EBF-5C9C007B20C8_1596915772861.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	320836  
Old 08-08-2020, 04:00 PM
Wallhanger

Get some black epoxy and fill those screw holes. Bob
Old 08-08-2020, 04:19 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Get some black epoxy and fill those screw holes. Bob
Was planning on clear silicone, thoughts?