Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Blown Fuse - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Minnow

Default Blown Fuse

I need some help. I have a 2001 Yamaha 80 hp 4 stroke that keeps on blowing a mini 20 amp fuse that allows me to tilt and trim the motor from the motor and the throttle. When it blows it also will not let me turn the motor on.

Everything seems to work fine when I hook up the garden hose. I tilt it up and down, start the big motor shut it off and things still work fine.

But when I get out on the water it seems to go to heck. I have been doing one thing at a time to try an eliminate things. Any guesses as to WHY this happens and how to possibly fix it.

Thanks,
Kastmaster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

I think the Yammie's have a ground wire between the motor itself and the steering bracket of the motor. I often hear of them being burned in half. maybe check that out. I would think not having a proper ground could do some strange things tilting the motor.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Keeper

Try checking the wire that goes down to the trim motor....a few years back mine got pinched and damaged the wire. Didn't cause fuse to blow but worth a quick inspection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Wallhanger

the trim pump is going to be working a lot harder when the prop is actually screwing through water. Does the fuse blow if you try to trim motor when not in gear and moving?
Old 07-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Wallhanger

Most likely a short someplace that only gets shorted when you bounce it around a little, not sitting still in the driveway. Check wires closely where they bend when trimming motor.