Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bait tank - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Minnow

Default Bait tank

My dad is looking for a tank to put minnows in to sell. He has a little lunch and and beer store. It is not a liquor store, as he only sells beer and sandwiches. He already sells some leeches, waxes, and crawlers. He wants to buy a tank to sell minnows. He has done some research, and at 68 years old, he cannot justify $5000 for a tank. Any help would be appreciated, or suggestions on where to buy or what to make one out of. He lives in central Iowa and a lot of people want minnows for Brushy Creek.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Seedtree

Default RE: Bait tank

One of the guys I get minnows from made his own out of an aluminum oval-shaped stock tank. It must be around 5 feet long, 3 feet wide and 3 feet deep. He made his own circulation system out of PVC pipe. Pretty slick deal, and it keeps hundreds of minnows lively year around. He has it in a shed out back of his house. Only uses a space heater on frigid nights.

He also has some visqueen up to stop the renegade-type minnows from diving out to the floor.

I keep some minnows on hand most times as its a ways to a bait shop, and the oval-shaped tank is good. The minnows will collide head on into the sides of a tank with right angles. This will cause minnow mortality over time. Also, get or make yourself a huge minnow net. Small nets take a physical toll on your minnows.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Minnow

Thanks for replying. One of the things he is worrying about, is the water. He has to use city water, is there a filter system he needs to put on? I suggested using an old deep freeze,and painting the inside, but it came back to the water issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

If he is going to use City Water, it likely has been treated with Clorine.

So, he will need to use a standing basin to clear the water, before putting into the live minnow tank.

All that you need is to add anti clorine tablets. These are readily available and then you need to let it sit overnight before adding any of the water to your live tank.

You can easily do this in a few 5 gallon buckets.

You can go to Fleet farm and pick up a plastic watering tank for a few $$ for the tank. Oval shaped, plastic, and inexpensive. Rig up a circulation system with a pump and pvc pipe and you will be good to go.

Take care
REW

A few examples:
http://www.morningbite.com/Live-Bait-Tanks-s/11317.htm

http://www.minnowmaster.com/Tank_Systems.html

http://ekitchengadgets.com/350-46-0101-w.html
Old 03-16-2008, 12:15 AM
Wally Walski

Try to get well water or try to save rain water. Also try to keep tank in a cool area.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Keeper

get yourself a double laundry sink they seem to work well
Old 03-16-2008, 11:38 PM
deep freeze

The place I used buy my minnows rigged up an old deep freeze. It's stable, large capacity, and you could control the temp. Plus it has a built on lid which would be great for keeping the bait calm. A used deep freeze wouldn't set you back much.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:11 AM
bait

Personally, I'd chat with the bait supplier for ideas. He probably sees some different set-ups... key things I can think of to ask would be minimum/ideal size, filtration needs, do you need a chiller in the summer?, sources for equip, costs, tips. It's in the suppliers best interest so they should be motivated.

Seen a few stock tanks in shops over the years. Anything polypro that is big enough... Depending on the store set-up, you might be able to make a tank with concrete or maybe concrete blocks and a "backyard pond" liner or other waterproofing. Try net searching-- koi ponds --for some ideas on pumps & filters. You can get the pond stuff at a place like Loews.

City water supply - regular chorine is no big deal. You can either let the water sit for 24 hrs or add a dechlorination chemical available from your local aquaium store or backyard pond people.

There is a new type of chlorination being done in a few places that requires dechlorination chemicals. Sitting for 24 hrs does not work. No sweat - call the water plant or aquarium store or fill the tank, let it sit for a day or so & toss in a handful of minnows. If they die, you might need to add a dechlorination chemical.

dead ones out daily, don't feed, I'd guess you'd want a lot of filter. Think about how you are going to drain and clean whatever you set-up.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:15 AM
leifboat

Find someone with a used milk cooler (farm type for raw milk) does a real nice job.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Jason Erlandson

Mostly it depends on how many minnows you want to keep and what type of minnows you plan on keeping. Figure out your water situation first. If you are just thinking about fatheads or crappie minnows it isn't so hard, but other types of minnows are a lot more sensitive. At our shop we run 100% fresh well water 24 hours per day. But we also deal with suckers, shiners, redtails, creek chubs, and rainbows. You may be able to get by with a recirculation system and a little frsh water trickling in. Depending on your space you can build a tank out of wood and then paint it with an epoxy mixed paint, or some stores just use a rubber stock tank. Depends on your specific needs. There are quite a few options.

Jason