Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
rattle - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-24-2017, 11:26 AM
Minnow

Default rattle

have a 2014 tracker targa v18 115 four stroke if i trim the motor all the way down as far as it will go the boat got a noticable vibration if i hit the trim just a hair up goes away thought maybe the prop was bent put on new prop same thing. havent hit anything so shouldnt be a bent shaft any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2017, 12:43 PM
Wallhanger

It might not be related to the prop at all. My metal rod holders will rattle from time to time when trolling at just the right speed. When you hear the rattle just start touching stuff until you find it.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker 18 View Post
have a 2014 tracker targa v18 115 four stroke if i trim the motor all the way down as far as it will go the boat got a noticable vibration if i hit the trim just a hair up goes away thought maybe the prop was bent put on new prop same thing. havent hit anything so shouldnt be a bent shaft any ideas
Is this just at idle or trolling speed? Mine does the same. The motor trimmed all the way to its stop transfers its vibration through the motor mount bracket and into the transom. Trimmed just off the stop eliminates it, as there is then a little more cushion from the hydralics and motor mounts. I only notice at idle, can't say I much notice it otherwise, although I seldom operate it trimmed all the way down,other than when trolling. Seems to slow me down from drag with more motor in the water. But I do trim it a hair off the stop for this very reason.

Some motors vibrate more than others ,depending if they are 3 cyl or 4,,,inline or V,,etc. Not much to worry about. If you had a bent propshaft or seriously out of balanced prop,you
would notice it most at a hard throttle up to get up on plane. It would make no difference where you were trimmed. You could see and feel a very hard vibration both in the motor and the boat.

You might also have a slight case of "prop rattle" which actually is a bit common on 4 strokes at idle in gear. Search "prop rattle " for more info. Unless excessive ,may not even notice it except when trimmed down against the stops. Not a real big deal. If severe, you may actually hear it.

Last edited by MarkG; 06-24-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2017, 05:12 PM
Minnow

it does it just in gear at idle soon as i bump it up goes away

Last edited by tracker 18; 06-24-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker 18 View Post
it does it just in gear at idle soon as i bump it up goes away
No worries, sounds like what I said, when down against the stop, just more transfer to the bracket and transom.