Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Slippery Winds Resort - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-24-2020, 09:10 AM
Minnow

Default Slippery Winds Resort

I stumbled across an episode of Midwest Outdoors and saw a segment on Slippery Winds resort in Ontario. Looks like a nice fly-in destination with multiple species to choose from. Does anyone have any experience at Slippery Winds? Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2020, 11:59 AM
Rick Stevens

Default me too

I watched this last night. Looked like a nice place.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:21 PM
Keeper

I have always wondered when these shows / writers get the free trip and what if it does suck or not to their standards, do they call it out or not based on the gratuities?

It looks good but pricey imo as American plans are not for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2020, 09:07 AM
Minnow

Default Slippery Winds 2005

Wife and I (and dog) stayed there back in 2005, probably July or August. We fished all the lakes and overall did not do as well as I'd hoped. But we were on a new lake every day trying to figure a pattern. Not easy when the lakes are all different. Caught one 42" northern on Yoke (the main lake) but nothing else in there. Very clear lake. Straw lake is the other immediate access lake and we caught a few nice smallies and eater walleye. Very stained and shallow lake. Sucan is connected to Straw and we got a few smallies. The other lakes are all portages and I get them mixed up but each was known for a different species of fish. On one we caught a couple of lakers trolling deep. On another we caught a dozen largemouth, all from one weed bed. And on one was supposed to be big northern but we got nothing all day. Service at the lodge was good, but we were pretty much the only ones in camp all week. The variety of lakes and fish was what attracted me, but I didn't realize how hard it was going to be to find fish on a new lake every day.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:33 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctbone View Post
Wife and I (and dog) stayed there back in 2005, probably July or August. We fished all the lakes and overall did not do as well as I'd hoped. But we were on a new lake every day trying to figure a pattern. Not easy when the lakes are all different. Caught one 42" northern on Yoke (the main lake) but nothing else in there. Very clear lake. Straw lake is the other immediate access lake and we caught a few nice smallies and eater walleye. Very stained and shallow lake. Sucan is connected to Straw and we got a few smallies. The other lakes are all portages and I get them mixed up but each was known for a different species of fish. On one we caught a couple of lakers trolling deep. On another we caught a dozen largemouth, all from one weed bed. And on one was supposed to be big northern but we got nothing all day. Service at the lodge was good, but we were pretty much the only ones in camp all week. The variety of lakes and fish was what attracted me, but I didn't realize how hard it was going to be to find fish on a new lake every day.
The first thing I ask when I'm on a new lake is, Where are the hot spots?

Didn't the lodge owners give you any tips on where to fish?
Old 04-25-2020, 10:15 AM
Minnow

At the time the lodge was owned by a corporation that owned several others. So there was no owner there. The camp manager gave us some tips on each new lake and we focused our efforts on the recommended species and location for each lake. But it was my understanding that it was his first year managing the camp and he had not spent much time on most of the out lakes. Apart from not catching as much as we would have liked, we definitely enjoyed our time there. Being the only boat on 5 different gorgeous lakes was great. And the camp manager took our springer spaniel out squirrel hunting one day while we were fishing which she really loved. Being the only guests contributed to the feeling of remoteness and meals were tailored to our desired fishing times. So there were definitely positives to the trip.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:43 PM
Slot Fish

Default Slippery Winds

Midwest Outdoors has done quite a few shows there at Slippery Winds over the years, so I'm assuming they must like it. Also, Troy Lindner shot an episode up there with "The Ontario Experience" a year or two ago (I will kink the YouTube video)

I have never been on Yoke Lake, but I have been within 500 feet of it while fishing in the north / northeastern side of Pipestone Lake. (I have fished Pipestone 4 or 5 times over the years, and have an August 2020 trip booked to Pipestone). I had toyed with the idea of bringing my canoe along to Pipestone, and towing it to the outpost cabin on Pipe, and then portaging into Yoke just for the fun of exploring. I actually spoke with Emily Head at the Milwaukee All Canada show (she guides at Slippery Winds, on Yoke Lake, and the other portage lakes), and asked her if we could stop in for a day for a tour of Slippery Winds to get a feel for the place. Depending on how ambitious I'm feeling, I may just portage into Yoke for a day...

Anyway, I ended up comparing notes with Emily, as Pipestone Lake is very similar to Yoke Lake. Both are deep, clear, cold lakes (i.e. oligotrophic "trout lakes"). So both of these lakes have potential to produce absolute HAWG walleyes, but I don't think you're going to catch 100 walleyes per day on a lake trout water. If I remember correctly, Emily caught A LOT of walleyes over 27 inches last year on Yoke. (Something like 200+ walleyes of 27 inches or better, if I remember correctly). We also had a magical night on Pipestone last year, where we caught 6 walleyes of 27 inches or better all in one night (3 - 29 inchers, 2 - 28 inchers, and a 27 - incher). But, we only caught a total of 12 walleyes that night. So, the quantity wasn't spectacular, but the quality was outstanding.

And I think that Yoke is most likely very similar to Pipestone. Looks like a TROPHY walleye fishery, rather than a numbers game. (But I've heard that the walleye numbers in Yoke may be a bit better than in Pipestone).

So, if you want to fish walleyes on Yoke, I would recommend night fishing. (8 pm to 3 am have been our most productive hours when fishing ultra clear "lake trout" lakes for walleyes). Straw and Sucan lakes are shallower and darker from what I've heard, so I think the daytime fishing would be better on these lakes.

Slippery Winds is definitely a place that I've always wanted to visit, and I may just take my canoe this year so that I can see it for a day and take a tour.

Anyway, here's the video of Troy Lindner from his trip to Slippery Winds.

Enjoy!

"Jackpot" John Schroeder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-3_djFvqJc

Last edited by jackpotjohnny48; 04-26-2020 at 01:47 PM. Reason: additional content
Old 04-26-2020, 02:10 PM
Keeper

Midwest Outdoors is an advertising show for the lack of a better term. They have 3-6 minute segments on each show and the cost a few years ago was $12,000. We go to a lodge that has been advertising with them for many years and the owner shared the information with me. If you notice most of the lodges are repeat year after year so it must be worth the cost to them. The lodge I go to does a segment every other year. They also did a show with Troy Lindner on The Ontario Experience and the cost of that was partially subsidized by Tourism Ontario.
Also if you buy the Midwest Outdoors magazine with the Canada sections you will notice many of the advertisers also do TV shows and there are articles about the lodges in those sections.
wmd
Old 04-26-2020, 05:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmd View Post
Midwest Outdoors is an advertising show for the lack of a better term. They have 3-6 minute segments on each show and the cost a few years ago was $12,000. We go to a lodge that has been advertising with them for many years and the owner shared the information with me. If you notice most of the lodges are repeat year after year so it must be worth the cost to them. The lodge I go to does a segment every other year. They also did a show with Troy Lindner on The Ontario Experience and the cost of that was partially subsidized by Tourism Ontario.
Also if you buy the Midwest Outdoors magazine with the Canada sections you will notice many of the advertisers also do TV shows and there are articles about the lodges in those sections.
wmd

It is typical for lodges to pay to be featured in a show. I heard of a local lodge that paid over $20,000 two years ago to be filmed for a segment. This looks good in their brochures and videos at the fishing shows, no doubt it lures a few people in, but it does not improve the fishing a bit.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:47 PM
Keeper

Have to wonder that the shows probably have trailer boats with guides during the film shoots, but the shows are fun to watch