Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Knife sharpener - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2020, 06:48 PM
Wallhanger

Default Knife sharpener

Gentlemen, just curious as to what type of knife sharpener you use. Over the years, I have tried all of them but seem to have the best luck with the Japanese whetstone. 1000 grit on one side and 3000 grit on the other. It is nice to take on trips to Canada because you can just soak it in the water and give the fillet knife a quick sharpen before enjoying a short lunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2020, 07:20 PM
Keeper

I have been using the Lansky system for the last year. Virtually fool proof and gets a nice edge. I got the 2000 hone and strap to finish with.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:44 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtaproot View Post
Gentlemen, just curious as to what type of knife sharpener you use. Over the years, I have tried all of them but seem to have the best luck with the Japanese whetstone. 1000 grit on one side and 3000 grit on the other. It is nice to take on trips to Canada because you can just soak it in the water and give the fillet knife a quick sharpen before enjoying a short lunch
I use a band sander from Harbor Tool, I just eye-ball the angle, but there is an amazon attachment:

https://www.amazon.com/Knife-Sharpen...6531373&sr=8-4

It works great.

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

C.S. Lewis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2020, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

I use a 1x30 inch belt sander. It only takes a few seconds to do an excellent job sharpening a knife - even one that has a very bad edge.

Keep two or three different grit belts and use the one or ones that work best for the task at the time.

Take care
Old 11-28-2020, 04:22 AM
Wallhanger

I have a Lansky and it does nice job. I have since went to the Work Sharpe and I like it better. It even does a great job on the old maple handled Rapala filet knife. Once I decide to sharpen knives I set up and do them all. Have warn the wife I did it to prevent cuts. LOL I have sharpened electric knife blades with it and it does improve them but not like new.
Have a great day.
Jim
Old 11-28-2020, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Jim,
I agree on the electric knife sharpening.

A tough job to do.

Rather - since the blades are typically rather inexpensive and are normally readily available, I normally just order 2 or 3 sets of replacement blades for any electric knives that I own, and simply chuck the old blades when they are no longer usable and move on to the new blades.

However, you can use a cone shaped diamond sharpener to sharpen many - but not all serrated blades.

For example:

https://www.discountcutlery.net/DMTF...r_p_34595.html
Old 11-28-2020, 07:36 AM
Wallhanger

I use the 1" belt sander with a couple different grits.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:52 AM
Keeper

I have been using the Work Sharp sharpener. Simple to use and does a nice job.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1964_200431964
Old 11-28-2020, 08:07 AM
Wallhanger

I use the WorkSharp. Tried lots of different sharpening devices and the WorkSharp is the best I've found. Knifes are razor sharp and at the proper edge angle. I use it for all my household knives. I can also sharpen scissors and serrated blades. You can sharpen files, drill bits and even a shovel blade or ax using the right grit belt. It is nice to have every blade I have sharp and ready to go when I need it. Only requires about a minute to put an edge on a dull knife. Requires repurchase of belts from time to time. I spend maybe $15 a year for new belts for the amount of knife sharpening I do.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:44 AM
Wallhanger

I've used the WorkSharp for about 5-6yrs. I'm on my 2nd bag of belts. I run my kitchen knives over a steel before each use and resharpen about every year or so depending on how much my wife abuses them. I cringed when I saw her using my Henckels paring knife to slice up some leftover sausage on a dinner plate the other day. I promptly gave her a cutting board. A few strokes on a steel put a decent edge on it but it's been about a year so I'll being doing them all again soon. I was given a couple super dull Old Timer hunting knives a few years ago. It made them shaving sharp and capable of dressing 3-4 deer before needing a touch up on the ceramic stick that comes with the set.