Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Could you just use a bungy cord...trolling motor stabilizer... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-04-2022, 12:39 PM
Keeper

Default Could you just use a bungy cord...trolling motor stabilizer...

I have a common, 2018 Lund Impact 1775 Sport with a Minn Kota Terrova on the front. I have this installed on a quick release plate and I think the length of the Minn Kota shaft may be 60". In the right waves, with the length of the shaft, there is a fair amount of bouncing going on of the head and shaft of the minn kota. I noticed this last time on Lake Michigan going out for perch. I remember when installing this and calling minn kota about the use of a stabilizer and their reply was that it was optional. So, it is winter. I am a bit bored... just kinda bored. I got to thinking about that bouncing trolling motor head/shaft and started looking at options for stabilization. I ordered the RAM claw stabilizer and clearly understand how to rig it either to the front platform where the trolling motor is mounted to avoid the cover, when on, or to put it on a quick release Lundtrack bracket. In studying this more, I was looking at some soft, elastic, cloth covered bungy cords and was thinking with the right length, I could easily wrap the shaft near the head and bring the hooks down to a hook on the deck. I think with the appropriate tension, this would probably work OK and not create any damage to the shaft or unit in general. I don't think I would attach this when going down the road as I rarely notice any bouncing of the unit on common roads. Ya, I could keep and install the RAM that was only $70 or send it back and save a few bucks with an inexpensive bungy cord. Any reasons I should not do this? I always appreciate your opinions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2022, 12:47 PM
Keeper

Other than not taking all of the movement out, you should be fine. I think that the bungee would absorb all the "sharp" wave impacts and I think that is what I am trying to minimize.

However, tying it up each time that you stow and then untying it might be a pain, but I only worry about mine when trailering anyway.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:49 PM
Wallhanger

Don't see why it wouldnt work fine. I use the ram mount, don't think I paid 70 for it though. I'll be honest I just use it for trailering and for running rough water so I do not have a chance of an accidental deployment. I don't use it for just normal running or spot hopping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2022, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

For running from one spot to another on the water, I just use 2 hooks mounted low on the vertical portion of the front deck, and connect a rubber cord, looped over the tm shaft. It prevents the head from bouncing, works very well. One of the hooks is closed, so the cord can't get lost. Yeah, It looks a bit dorky, but my Alaskan is a fishing boat.

Bill
Old 01-04-2022, 04:36 PM
Wallhanger

I get the bored thing...However i don't think it is necessary. I got a shaft from the local repair place and it is pretty strong, in fact i strung it between 2 trusses and have my heavy bag hanging from it. Personally i wouldn't want to mount anything on the deck maybe on the side gunnel.

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 01-04-2022, 05:12 PM
Wallhanger

Oldfootdoc,
I have a Lund Fisherman about the same size as your boat. I installed a Minn Kota Terrova on it with the composite (believe it is the MKA-21) quick release mount several years ago. I don't trailer with my trolling motor mounted so that's not an issue for me. However, when running in rough water or running several miles I secure my trolling motor shaft down to the rail on the gunwale with a bungy cord close to the trolling motor's head. The shafts are quite flexible and a slight amount of downward pressure holds it in place nicely. Has worked well for me of several years. Good Luck!

Last edited by Shotgun; 01-04-2022 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
Oldfootdoc,
I have a Lund Fisherman about the same size as your boat. I installed a Minn Kota Terrova on it with the composite (believe it is the MKA-21) quick release mount several years ago. I don't trailer with my trolling motor mounted so that's not an issue for me. However, when running in rough water or running several miles I secure my trolling motor shaft down to the rail on the gunwale with a bungy cord close to the trolling motor's head. The shafts are quite flexible and a slight amount of downward pressure holds it in place nicely. Has worked well for me of several years. Good Luck!
Used to do the same on my Tyee, I also put a pool noodle over railing to not cause any scratches on tm head
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 01-05-2022, 04:34 AM
Wallhanger

Pool Noodle....best dollar store investment. Hundreds of uses.

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 01-05-2022, 05:39 AM
Wallhanger

All this is just busy work; totally unnecessary. Quoting Shotgun in his post here, "The shafts are quite flexible". I reiterate, the shaft is meant to flex. It acts as a shock absorber and protects the electronic components in the control head from sharp impact. Tying it down defeats that purpose. The only instance where I could see any value in a Ram mount is where the head is close enough to the gunnel to actually strike it when flexing. That might happen with a go-fast boat in extremely rough water trying to get back in time for weigh-in, but that's not me. (And those guys get their MinnKotas and Ram mounts free anyway, so they don't care if things get damaged.)
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 01-05-2022, 06:03 AM
Wallhanger

Shaft is meant to flex if it hits an under water stump. I know I'd rather have the head secure instead of flopping around. You shake something long enough and stuff comes loose. Rhodan includes the mount with purchase of their motor for a reason.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel