Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Electric fillet knife? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Wallhanger

Legal here in Ontario. People I know that clean their perch at home and take and freeze the guts in a pail and next day out it goes over board. Like going to Denny's for the smaller fish, all you can eat.

Last edited by Clairebear; 02-01-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Left out a word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 11:50 AM
Keeper

Rapalla cordless.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by law57 View Post
A friend had a stroke a few years back. He's doing really well - back to fishing, golfing, raising bees, etc. But he's a little shaky when it comes to cleaning fish. His wife asked me about an electric knife.

I have never used one - I saw a guy using one in a Canada fish cleaning shack. Actually he was finished. But he had a big pan of very nice looking fillets.

I too worry about cutting myself. Cutting through the ribs with a razor sharp knife is always a gamble.

I know some of you have used or do use an electric knife for cleaning fish. How does that work? Would you recommend one?

With the above concerns, why would you want to add in a set of serrated power blades that can cut through your hand in an instant?

I have used electric fillet knives, and for some fish, they bring an advantage.

But they require a certain control and finesse that your friend appears not to have.

Not everyone can use an electric fillet knife with good results either.

Oh, btw, there is really very little difference between the electric carving knife in the kitchen, and the electric fillet knife.
Have him try it a few times, before buying one.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe33 View Post
With the above concerns, why would you want to add in a set of serrated power blades that can cut through your hand in an instant?

I have used electric fillet knives, and for some fish, they bring an advantage.

But they require a certain control and finesse that your friend appears not to have.

Not everyone can use an electric fillet knife with good results either.

Oh, btw, there is really very little difference between the electric carving knife in the kitchen, and the electric fillet knife.
Have him try it a few times, before buying one.
What a jerk. If I had used an electric knife before I would know how they work. That is Why I posted - I had not used one. I thought maybe they would slice thru bones without the exerted pressure needed for a normal blade.

Thanks for the good advice. I'd be interested to know why you felt you had to act like a moron to post it?
Old 02-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Minn guest

Thumbs up

Two Mister Twister's here, a his and a her's when my wife and I clean fish I fillet and she cuts out the ribs and skins, I use Berkley thin fillet blade's in both,very little pressure needed to cut through ribs of panfish, walleye, or pike.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by law57 View Post
What a jerk. If I had used an electric knife before I would know how they work. That is Why I posted - I had not used one. I thought maybe they would slice thru bones without the exerted pressure needed for a normal blade.

Thanks for the good advice. I'd be interested to know why you felt you had to act like a moron to post it?
I don't know if he was trying to be rude to you, a couple of us in this thread noted there is additional danger here.

Personally I have never felt 100% safe using one, I'd hate to tell you they're slick and your friend harms himself.

The Kevlar glove is a great idea, didn't know they existed. I'd wear one if I trying pull fillets off the gills again. (although I like the "saw off the side off and chop off the bottom idea" too)
Old 02-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

American Angler or a Twister if you like replacing your knife all the time.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:14 AM
Keeper

I'm using an old sunbeam electric knife. Could not be happier, particularly removing the skin.
I never understood the carcass disposal regs. . Plenty of critters will clean it up and I doubt it will impact anything. I do save most of my carcasses and put them in crawfish traps every so often and we have a crayfish boil.....so I'm trying to do my part controlling the rustys!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Here in Wyoming, it's technically illegal to use parts of game fish for bait. Little ridiculous it is, when using it for crayfish!
Old 02-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

In MN, it is illegal to clean fish, while on the water. The entire fish must come off the water and be cleaned off the body of water.

However, when fishing Ontario, I know that there are many folks who clean on the boat and seem to have no issues at all with it.

I know that when the resort owner takes the fish cleanings from the fish cleaning house, he takes the barrel to the other side of the river and dumps them out on a big rock. By morning, the gulls and other wild life have cleaned their table clean.

Be safe