Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund Boat Hull Cleaner? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Peak Chaser

Cool Lund Boat Hull Cleaner?

I have a 2007 Sport Angler- Great- Great lakes Boat, anyway it is the unpainted version. After stickers were removed, it needs cleaned and buffed. Like everyone else - not ez to get an answer from LUND.
Anyone have this hull and if so what to use? now is the time. Thanks in advance. I think the hull is annonozed alluminum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Peak,
Are you just cleaning the boat, or are your prepping it for new paint?
REW
Old 02-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Wallhanger

The only aluminum cleaners I know of that actually work contain a minimum of 10% hydrofluoric acid. Any "safe" cleaner I have tried is a waste of money and effort. I haven't tried any of the newer, strong citric cleaners on oxidized aluminum yet, but I know for a fact that the hydrofluoric acid acid works like a champ, I have been using it since I was a kid sent out to wash the storm window frames a hundred years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Minnow

I have a larger dog trailer made out of annonozed alluminun. I take it to a place that washes semis and they do an acid wash. It does a great job.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:32 PM
peak chaser

I'm just cleaning the rig for spring -- thinking of getting a wrap done on it, if i can't get it looking new.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Wallhanger

When I had a painted Lund years ago I used Starbrite hull cleaner I got at walmart with very good results.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Wallhanger

Check TrailerBoats website for recommendations, or maybe just google "aluminum boat cleaners." I know there is a cleaner for bare aluminum that's marketed to pontoon owners that is reputed to be very effective.
A problem with cleaning off the oxidized aluminum is you're removing a layer of self-protective aluminum oxide. When the aluminum is shiney again, the surface is porous, and more succeptible to algae or water chemical fouling. If you don't mind the gray appearance of your boat, leave it alone. If you're going to paint the boat, chemical preperation is required, talk to a body shop for advice. Phosphoric acid is sold by lots of stores that sell house paints, it's used to prep aluminum siding and window frames.
I wouldn't touch HF acid unless I was being paid refinery worker wages, and was supplied with the protective gear that's required. That stuff is nasty!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Keeper

I got a new boating world magazine the other day and it has a ad for SHARKHIDE metal protectant. It looks like it would be good stuff and it is made for aluminum. If not I like the name they picked. I am thinking about getting some. Here is there site check it out. http://sharkhide.com/

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE!!

You don't hunt or fish? I SEE NO POINT IN TALKING TO YOU!!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

https://www.walleyecentral.com/tackle...minimumorder=0

You can do a site search here for the products in the link above...WonderFoam and Restore. Put this phrase in the search box... Wonderfoam and Restore cleaning products and that will bring up a bunch of threads on the subject.

Nothing but good comments about these two products. Sure to make your rig looking like new.

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112

Last edited by Juls; 02-26-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Keeper

Wonderfoam & Restore by Larsen Sale is great stuff better then anything that I've ever tryed. The owner Nels Larsen is also a great guy and easy to work with, I have and used all of his products and I don't hesitate to recommend them.