Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2021 Booking Issue - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 08-30-2020, 10:29 PM
Keeper

[QUOTE=adempsey2.0;6478820]I think it is more than fair for you to have expected a phone call from the outfitter. I know outfitters often give returning guests the first opportunity to book the same week/cabin. Personally, I think that is the least they can do for being a loyal customer. Obviously there are many things out of their control, but an e-mail or phone call is hardly much effort to keep your customers happy.

It is also possible they just don't want you back. I am not saying that is the case at all, but I have been told a couple of times about camps not holding a regular groups spot because they are tired of them.

I guess it is time for a new adventure![/QUOTE]

I don't think that it's they don't want our group back, as they had no problem at all booking our two trips for 2021. They just booted us out of "our" cabin for the first trip. Again, we keep in contact with them throughout the year, and I know we view them as friends after staying with them for so many years. I know they pander to us as guests because they've made a lot of money on us over the years, but I know we felt the friendship was a mutual thing. Just very disappointing to us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2020, 10:35 PM
Keeper

[QUOTE=v-bay gord;6478880]I don't have much to add to what has already been said...however your statement that I highlighted may be part of the issue. My experience this summer is probably similar to many owners. As each extension of border closure occurred we contacted guests as to options.....roll over to the next season....push it ahead to later in the season....both options required moving and shuffling guests. Any delays on getting a decision from a guest only makes the situation more complex, as further border extensions and subsequent shuffling of guests creates a domino effect. I'm not sure if the lack of commitment at the time the first reservation was unusable is why you are in this position, or it may be a combination of shuffling a bigger group into your week was required (by required I mean we are doing our best to accommodate groups of differing sizes into weeks that work for them). Sure, it would have been nice to get a heads up, but on the other hand they may have interpreted you were sitting on the fence about rebooking.

In the end I see your point, but it should be acknowledged that this has been an unusual year. It's not fair to the owner if you delayed in rebooking and he needed to make decisions that affect his guests and his bottom line. If I'm reading the facts wrong, my apologies in advance.[/QUOTE]

I can assure you there were no delays on our end. We were in constant contact over the status of the trips. As a matter of fact, we had hope there would be a 14 day quarantine policy that would be enacted if crossing the border, and we even told them we would extend the trips to two weeks if need be! They were all about that! But, obviously, that didn't come to fruition.

I can also assure you there was no misinterpretation about the group not returning in 2021. That topic had NEVER come up. It wasn't even a thought that we wouldn't be back. Those feelings have changed as of now.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:38 PM
Keeper

[QUOTE=RichA$1970;6478916]What resort are you talking about. Is nice to know your opinion n experience for us to consider.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to hold off saying for a little while. I think I am going to contact them to express the displeasure over what has happened, and I'm going to see if they are willing to work the situation out. I only know of one other Walleye Central user that has gone to the camp, and that was a one and done for them. Ironically, that user told me he was not impressed at all with the customer service, and he said he'd never return. We might be joining him!
Old 08-31-2020, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=NP4ME;6478812]Totally appreciate your thoughts, although I find them to be highly misguided. I don't think I'd stay at your lodge (I know you don't have one) with the views you have expressed. Can't imagine I'd conduct business of any kind with you knowing your thoughts on this, to be honest. Loyalty goes a long way with me.
[/QUOTE]

Funny how you said "Any discussion would be greatly appreciated", but then attack me personally, and my business, because you didn't like what I said. lol

Someone else said, "Maybe they just don't want you back", which was way worse than anything I said, and he gets a pass.

But, that's okay....I don't think I would enjoy fishing with you anyway.

It's also funny how your story has changed from the original...from waiting until now to book your trips to, "I can assure you there were no delays on our end. We were in constant contact over the status of the trips."

So, I guess, "Any discussion" means, "Only if you agree with me". :huh:

Have a great day!

I'm going fishing.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 08-31-2020, 06:00 AM
Wallhanger

Moral of the story here is COMMUNICATION!

Call early and call often to guarantee you have exactly what your want.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE]Moral of the story here is COMMUNICATION!

Call early and call often to guarantee you have exactly what your want.[/QUOTE]

I would add...."You are not as important to a business as you may think you are when the demand is greater than the supply".

Business will trump the feeling of a personal relation every time or they will not be in business for very long.

Common theme among these threads is a perceived friendship or relationship relative to time by the client.

Trouble is everyone wants to be thought of as a friend and both sides have a different perception of the meaning.

I am sure there are some true friendships found over the years, but they are probably few and far between.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:21 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=NP4ME;6478616]I'm looking for expertise and opinions about a booking issue that has happened for my groups 2021 trip/s. I would also really appreciate some of the lodge owner's opinions, such as Gord and Obabikon. Here's the situation:

We were supposed to go on our second scheduled trip of the year in two weeks. Obviously, the trips are scrapped. We have been going to the same lodge for six years in a row now, starting with one trip a year, but moving it to two separate trips for this year and next. The lodge we stay at is small, with only a few cabins. My group of four has always stayed in the biggest cabin available because there are three separate bedrooms in the cabin (there are three 70+ in the group, so the different rooms is great so it eliminates the bunk bed issue for the "old timers." One of the guys also has a bad snoring problem, so it's great to get him isolated.

Anyway, with the cancelation of our second scheduled trip, we decided to go ahead and call to book our two 2021 trips. We go the same week each year, always have. When we called to book the "big cabin," we were told it was already booked and only a one bedroom cabin was available for the group. I was not pleased.

.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are wrong, you said when you called to book meaning you did not book, going every year does not mean your going next year, they are not your friends, they are a business, everyone like to think they are friends with the lodge owners but they forgot your name the week after you left in most cases. If they were your friends they would have called you, plenty of other places to go i’m sure you will work it out. I know it burns but just find a new place and enjoy.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 08-31-2020, 07:27 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=bbheli;6478986][QUOTE=NP4ME;6478616]I'm looking for expertise and opinions about a booking issue that has happened for my groups 2021 trip/s. I would also really appreciate some of the lodge owner's opinions, such as Gord and Obabikon. Here's the situation:

We were supposed to go on our second scheduled trip of the year in two weeks. Obviously, the trips are scrapped. We have been going to the same lodge for six years in a row now, starting with one trip a year, but moving it to two separate trips for this year and next. The lodge we stay at is small, with only a few cabins. My group of four has always stayed in the biggest cabin available because there are three separate bedrooms in the cabin (there are three 70+ in the group, so the different rooms is great so it eliminates the bunk bed issue for the "old timers." One of the guys also has a bad snoring problem, so it's great to get him isolated.

Anyway, with the cancelation of our second scheduled trip, we decided to go ahead and call to book our two 2021 trips. We go the same week each year, always have. When we called to book the "big cabin," we were told it was already booked and only a one bedroom cabin was available for the group. I was not pleased.

.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are wrong, you said when you called to book meaning you did not book, going every year does not mean your going next year, they are not your friends, they are a business, everyone like to think they are friends with the lodge owners but they forgot your name the week after you left in most cases. If they were your friends they would have called you, plenty of other places to go i’m sure you will work it out. I know it burns but just find a new place and enjoy.[/QUOTE]Does anyone of us really know if we're even going in 2021? Lets dont put the cart in front of the horse !!!
Old 08-31-2020, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=MikeF;6478972]

I am sure there are some true friendships found over the years, but they are probably few and far between.[/QUOTE]

I think you might underestimate how many true friendships you create. But, I do get it. If I were to get married right now (I'm already happily married)... there are four guests who would probably be in my wedding. In my opinion, to say that 4 of my best friends in the world, I met here, that's pretty impressive. I have many people I consider good friends that aren't on that level.

I just want to reiterate that in 2021 (and probably for the next several years) things will be very different. Owners who used to give discounts or include minnows... will probably be charging for every single penny. If you got a free boat upgrade or free cabin upgrade... don't expect those anymore. Many of us are having to buy our resorts over again. Many have had to take out 2nd mortgages just to stay afloat. So... friends or family or just clients... everyone is chipping in until I can dig out of the hole. If you can't chip in, I still appreciate you, but I can't afford generosity.

Now knowing that the resort is an American Plan that charges by the person... I totally get it. They should have done a better job of communicating. However, I will be behaving in a very similar way with our rules in the future. 8 person cabins are for 8 people... (maybe 7). 5 person cabins will not be rented to 2 people.

What I would encourage is to contact the owner and see if you can get your cabin... if you bring two or three more people. Or... at this point is it just rented?
Old 08-31-2020, 08:07 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=walleyecheek;6478992]Does anyone of us really know if we're even going in 2021? Lets dont put the cart in front of the horse !!![/QUOTE]

Cheeks I’m putting 2 horses in the front of my cart and riding it all the way to Ontario next year,I betting it will be a go for next season,maybe can place a bet through Vegas as far as border opening