Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Humminbird MEGA Live debut ... - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 06-12-2021, 10:47 AM
Wallhanger

It will be interesting on how the final product looks when done, Hbirds statement is there is much work to be done yet before final release at least there appears to be no ghosting or blind spots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2021, 11:45 AM
Wallhanger

I was going to invest in a mega 360 stand alone. My tm is an ulterra. I think,now, I'll wait for a stand alone version of the mega live system and see how well the system is received.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Needs to be adapted to the Ulterra

Somehow they need to adapt this for use with the Ulterra!
Old 06-12-2021, 03:33 PM
Wallhanger

Here is a link to one for Panoptics that should work. Link: https://www.cornfieldcrappiegear.com...ng-motor-mount
Old 11-20-2021, 11:21 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
Any verdict on this vs the Live scope or Active Target ?
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 11-20-2021, 11:40 AM
Wallhanger

Reviews are mixed! The consensus seems to be the Livescope picks up lures and fish farther out than the other 2. The initial images on ML are not as crisp as Active target. There is still plenty of Ford vs Chevy going on. My bottom line is I don't need to buy a new unit(different brand) and the guys that have been using livescope say it is better but ML will still help you see and catch fish. I do expect updates will help HB catch up. Time will tell the whole tale.
JMO Bob

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 11-20-2021 at 11:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-20-2021, 12:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Reviews are mixed! The consensus seems to be the Livescope picks up lures and fish farther out than the other 2. The initial images on ML are not as crisp as Active target. There is still plenty of Ford vs Chevy going on. My bottom line is I don't need to buy a new unit(different brand) and the guys that have been using livescope say it is better but ML will still help you see and catch fish. I do expect updates will help HB catch up. Time will tell the whole tale.
JMO Bob
Thanks Bob, what I am contemplating is taking the helix G10 off the bow and mount it at the helm besides the other 10 G2 this way I can have maps charts up on one and my fish finder views on the other. I have switch back and forth all the time especially when trying to follow contours.

Figured I would put a new FF at the bow with a forward transducer or 360. So far it seems the forward is a better option, I have the 360 per mega and did not like it. I was thinking about a solix and the mega live and distracted by the Garman or Lowrance an of course pole mount vs trolling mount aside from having the ultera Im trying to figure out the benefit of pole vs trolling as if the TM is not pointing at targets I don't see the point. Moving along the bank and having a pole to aim seems the better option so looking for some sound input.

Do you think future enhancements to the ML will be firmware or hardware ?
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 11-20-2021, 12:53 PM
Wallhanger

As you know I have an Ulterra, I am still building a "pole rig". For the fishing I do I wanted to have it separate from the TM aim for live imaging. Many of the straight bass guys(no sexual reference) like it on the Ultrex although some have a separate aiming attachment on their Ultrex. There is a bunch video concerning the subject. Garmin forums can be used for info on Livescope that can be applied to the other Live units. Bob
On the updates; The finder and ML both are updatable. In the past HW updates are rare, of course the next generation is always just around the corner. Personally I think the HW is capable, and like I said the experienced LS guys say it is usable as is now. But if you are replacing the finder anyway the only thing you give up is integration. Either way sounds to me like it will work out satisfactory.

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 11-20-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:59 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Thanks Bob, what I am contemplating is taking the helix G10 off the bow and mount it at the helm besides the other 10 G2 this way I can have maps charts up on one and my fish finder views on the other. I have switch back and forth all the time especially when trying to follow contours.

Figured I would put a new FF at the bow with a forward transducer or 360. So far it seems the forward is a better option, I have the 360 per mega and did not like it. I was thinking about a solix and the mega live and distracted by the Garman or Lowrance an of course pole mount vs trolling mount aside from having the ultera Im trying to figure out the benefit of pole vs trolling as if the TM is not pointing at targets I don't see the point. Moving along the bank and having a pole to aim seems the better option so looking for some sound input.

Do you think future enhancements to the ML will be firmware or hardware ?
I like having the Livescope on a pole. I use the one from fishing specialties. It's nice for spot locking and course lock.

I have watched a lot of videos on ML. I would really suggest going the Garmin route. I'd also suggest getting a dedicated lithium battery for the black box and graph.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
I like having the Livescope on a pole. I use the one from fishing specialties. It's nice for spot locking and course lock.

I have watched a lot of videos on ML. I would really suggest going the Garmin route. I'd also suggest getting a dedicated lithium battery for the black box and graph.
After a lot more research I would have to agree with you. Found a great video that compared all three side by side. To bad that Hummingbird had years to watch the others and came out with what I know call interior product. Despite the word Mega in its name they have the lowest frequency at 1050 and the shortest range. I think I will try the new Mega 360 and wait to see where Forward Facing real time goes. Also maintain that given HB and MK are owned by the same company I don't like the fact that after the big Ulterra push they don't make a mount for these options. My personal feelings are that he pol mounts are a mess and wires all over he place messes with my OCD for neatness. Simple better rated pickup motor in the Ulterra which has been the source of many issues anyways is an easy fix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Rr5g7RXCk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Live.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	330488  
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes

Last edited by bbheli; 11-21-2021 at 01:53 PM.