Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bought new tires online. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 07-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Keeper

Default Bought new tires online.

I just bought new Maxxis trailer tires online. I just received them today. When I checked the date of manufacturing they are dated 4013. So, my new tires are already 5 years old. Their website just states that they are new, never installed. But they don't say how old they actually are. Should I have them mounted anyway or contact the site that sold them to me?

jbird68

Morrison, IL

jbird68
Morrison, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2018, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Jbird,
You can't be serious to even consider mounting the tires are you.

The tires should be sent back "with prejudice"

Any time that you purchase a tire - at a tire shop, dealer or on line, you want to insure that the date of manufacture is no older than 3 months.

Why give up tire calendar life by losing a substantial part of the tires calendar life by having it live on a shelf somewhere?

Be safe

p.s.
The on line seller should pick up the return shipping as well.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Any time that you purchase a tire - at a tire shop, dealer or on line, you want to insure that the date of manufacture is no older than 3 months.
Where on earth did you get this 3 month time frame from? With so many tires being made offshore, 3 months is absolutely unrealistic. Have you ever imported a container? I've had containers sitting in customs for 6 weeks, much less the boat ride.. Really interested where you got that 3 month number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2018, 06:47 PM
Keeper

Default New tires

I bought new tires last fall for my Yukon. I got the deal at Fleet Farm. Buy 4 tires and get a $70 gift card in the mail. These tires are top of the line. They were 10 months old.
I bought Maxxis boat trailer tires online from Discounttiredirect. I believe they were 6 months old. Best trailer tires I've ever had. I plan on getting another pair next spring when the 2 spares are out of date.

Last edited by Stringbean; 07-21-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:28 PM
Keeper

I got these at simpletire.com. I didn't think they would be this old. They still look new.

jbird68

Morrison, IL

jbird68
Morrison, IL
Old 07-22-2018, 08:11 AM
Wallhanger

Default SimpleTire's Statement

Attached was copied directly from the suppliers website under FAQ/DOT codes. Your tires are over the 4 years. I'd be calling and returning, then requesting newer tires or a refund.

"All SimpleTire suppliers only ship tires with DOT dates that do not exceed 4 years. If you receive a tire with a DOT date of more than 4-years from the date of purchase, you may return it and we will pay the return shipping costs. For any tire with a DOT date that is less than 4-years old from the date of purchase, you may return it, but are responsible for the return shipping costs. Any tire that has been mounted is NOT eligible for a return."

Last edited by Shotgun; 07-22-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:43 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
Attached was copied directly from the suppliers website under FAQ/DOT codes. Your tires are over the 4 years. I'd be calling and returning.

"All SimpleTire suppliers only ship tires with DOT dates that do not exceed 4 years. If you receive a tire with a DOT date of more than 4-years from the date of purchase, you may return it and we will pay the return shipping costs. For any tire with a DOT date that is less than 4-years old from the date of purchase, you may return it, but are responsible for the return shipping costs. Any tire that has been mounted is NOT eligible for a return."
Thanks for finding this. I didn't see this on their website. I already filled out the return/exchange form on their site. I will also be calling them tomorrow.

jbird68

Morrison, IL

jbird68
Morrison, IL
Old 07-22-2018, 09:06 AM
Wallhanger

You'd hope they would own up to it once you contacted them and follow-up with their own policy. But it's good to know this in advance when contacting them as it should give you some leverage. Good luck!

Last edited by Shotgun; 07-22-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird68 View Post
Thanks for finding this. I didn't see this on their website. I already filled out the return/exchange form on their site. I will also be calling them tomorrow.

jbird68

Morrison, IL
Please keep us posted on their response. I bought my last set of Maxxis online and they were 8 months old when they arrived.

Marty
Old 07-23-2018, 07:50 AM
Wallhanger

I've had the Maxxis tires, they arent bad tires but 4-5 years old? No way. I'd buy the new Goodyear Endurance tires now. Made in USA and a higher load range for more safety. Have 1 now, will replace my last carlisle exploder tire shortly.

Have heard nothing but good things about the New Goodyears...