Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trail Cameras - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2021, 05:43 AM
Wallhanger

Default Trail Cameras

I’m looking to put up a couple of trail cameras on some property and was wondering what models/types you found to be good/reliable. Are the solar powered models worth the money vs. battery operated? I would probably be checking them once a week.

PjShorthorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2021, 07:05 AM
Jimmy big time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post
I’m looking to put up a couple of trail cameras on some property and was wondering what models/types you found to be good/reliable. Are the solar powered models worth the money vs. battery operated? I would probably be checking them once a week.

PjShorthorn
Tacticam Reveal, You can thank me later
Old 08-08-2021, 07:49 AM
Wallhanger

I have 5-6 cameras deployed at any given time. My oldest are CuddeBack and Browning and they are still going strong. I have 2 SkyPoint units that are about 2 years old and are working fairly well. With those I had more than my share of cell connectivity issues out of the gate that took a long time to resolve with tech support, including multiple software upgrades and a warranty replacement of one of the units. They have been pretty stable for probably a year now. A few years ago my wife bought me 2 two-packs of Stealth Cam for Christmas. None of them would take pictures at all in standard Minnesota winter temps, and seemed to have other issues with not taking pictures even in warm temps.

I have not owned any solar models. I would question whether they get much sun in the woods. I get many pictures daily because they are in active areas for deer, turkey, and a whole slew of other critters. My batteries last 2-4 months plus.

Last edited by Timmer92; 08-08-2021 at 07:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2021, 07:55 AM
Keeper

I have a bunch of these Primos camera. Work flawlessly. Simple to operate.

https://www.sopiqu.com/primosr-64054...iABEgICVfD_BwE

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2021, 08:24 AM
Wallhanger

I've had a couple fancy smanchie models that are solar and down load directly to you phone, but didn't like the unlimited download picture fee (although only 10 bucks)the setting up hassle, and didn't really need to know what was at my stand while I was at work.
I've gone with Wildgame Innovations from Menards, at a whooping $34.99 each. I get 2 a year for Christmas. Simple to program, great pictures or video, and new batteries easily get through July-December. I have 12 cameras and all issue free.

I pull the chip, pop it in my matchbook size chip reader, ($14.99) plug it in my phone, keep what I want and delete the junk.

Fleet Farm currently has a 4 pack on sale for $99.00, not sure of the brand. The store here was out in 2 hours.

Of course if you can't easily or visit your hunting spots in a timely manner to check them, you may have to go the download directly to phone route.

Maybe I'm missing out from using a higher end camera, but I sure don't know it.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:00 PM
Wallhanger

I have a remote property that I scout for Whitetail. I had the Cuddeback Cuddelink cameras that link to each other that I used at my home property so I could get the pics in my house but with the remote property I added one Cuddecell. They all link to the Cuddecell and then by cell to me.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:09 PM
Wallhanger

Reconyx….
Derek LaPointe #7
Old 08-09-2021, 05:50 AM
Wallhanger

If checking/swapping chips isn't a big deal, then you don't need anything fancy. As johnboat said, battery life is kind of a non-issue...I can go all hunting season easy on one set of batteries.

Pretty sure any of the major brands will work for you. I run StealthCams, and they work fine. I think like most, they have pre-set settings, but also a custom option where you can set up bursts of pics, delay between pics, pic/video options, etc.

I think most new ones are all color now, but I do have one camera that is an older model that isn't. You definitely want color.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:45 AM
Wallhanger

I'm with Thump, you dont need to spend a lot of money. I have used many brands and they all do pretty much the same for normal use. Anything around 50 bucks up seem ok. I only say that because I have not tried the 29 buckers, but even those have all the features the 100 buck up ones do for the most part.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:12 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post
I have a bunch of these Primos camera. Work flawlessly. Simple to operate.

https://www.sopiqu.com/primosr-64054...iABEgICVfD_BwE

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
I like the newer ones too. I had a few of the first Truth Cams. They were big, clunky, used D-cell batteries, slow, noisy, and didn't work well in the cold. I got them with Cabelas gift cards in like 2010.

I bought some Wildgame cams after those. They worked pretty well all weather. Were a bit loud because the deer were always looking at them in the pics, and a bit slow on shutter speed, but not bad. They have also lasted the longest of any cam's I've had. 4-5 years on some of them. The company has some questionable hunting practices. So, I no longer will buy them.

2 falls ago I bought a Browning Black Ops and another Primos cam. Both are awesome and I can't think of anything wrong with either at the moment. The Primos is REALLY easy to use.
Lowrance HDS 9’s (bow)
Minnesota 36v Ulterra