Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Future Of Tournament Angling - Page 13 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 12-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer View Post
As someone who doesn't tournament fish but does walleye fish, I'll offer this.

1. I live near very good walleye water, I'm vaguely aware that there have been walleye tournaments on these waters. Promotion has been almost non-existent to the non, hardcore tournament fishing enthusiast.

2. BASS tournaments have been held on the same water. Was well aware due to promotion and I am NOT a bass fisherman. My fishing is confined to pike, walleye, and steelhead on the fly. Turn out was amazing - had to walk over a mile from where I parked to the dock to watch and there were crowds doing it. Was in all the papers and on TV.

3. I guess the question of "growth" would apply to me as a recreational angler - what does it take to get me to enter a tournament? I don't know. I know I don't have the skill/equipment to compete so I don't. The 18' 150hp purchase is a step up from the 16' 40hp my brother and I share now and it's being considered currently. The cost to be competitive at the current tour level is prohibitive right now for people who want to compete but not make a living off it.

I know I would enter if there is some sort of tiered set up. I can go shoot local sporting clays tournaments for a modest entry fee and win modest prizes. I can also spend more money and enter world championships or national championship level tournaments if I feel I am up to it and the ROI is there for my entry fee.

Reading this thread - I don't know if that exists for walleye. Where's the tournament I can enter for 150 bucks for a single day deal where all I might win is say a new rod, some lures or something?

Provide a ladder for me to climb, a way for me to get hooked on the tournament lifestyle.

Look, I'm going fishing anyway, why not entice me with a reasonable entry for smaller/reasonable prizes as icing on the cake? If I'm going to go out on a Saturday and hit the Bay for the day I'm much more likely to kick in 100 for a local tournament/entry as a side bet than I am 1500 or 4000. Look at the local golf scrambles for ideas. 360 bucks for a foursome for the day, you get a meal and a drawing. Mostly filled by people who are going to golf anyway that day and it's a kicker on the side. Look at your local DU or TU dinners. 80 bucks for dinner but a chance to maybe win a shotgun or some dekes. There has to be stepping stones for guys to get there. You will always have the cadillac tours with cadillac fishermen but to make them more popular and to keep replenishing those participants - you need grass roots, semi-pro or enthusiast level tournaments and clubs.

To me, the recreational angler the idea of making a living off it isn't there, no desire but I would think that it could be fostered in people if they had that one little taste. IMO. Provide the smaller taste to get someone to invest more, jump up in participation. Where else is the angler going to develop the resume to land the sponsors to make the larger/high value tour?
This is a GREAT post!

Unfortunately there seems to be a push towards moving tournaments the other way, which would take the already high costs and drive them even higher to meet the agenda of a very small number of anglers.

It's nice to see theres someone out there thinking along the same lines as me.

Waxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Wallhanger

Default Totally agree!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer View Post
As someone who doesn't tournament fish but does walleye fish, I'll offer this.

1. I live near very good walleye water, I'm vaguely aware that there have been walleye tournaments on these waters. Promotion has been almost non-existent to the non, hardcore tournament fishing enthusiast.

2. BASS tournaments have been held on the same water. Was well aware due to promotion and I am NOT a bass fisherman. My fishing is confined to pike, walleye, and steelhead on the fly. Turn out was amazing - had to walk over a mile from where I parked to the dock to watch and there were crowds doing it. Was in all the papers and on TV.

3. I guess the question of "growth" would apply to me as a recreational angler - what does it take to get me to enter a tournament? I don't know. I know I don't have the skill/equipment to compete so I don't. The 18' 150hp purchase is a step up from the 16' 40hp my brother and I share now and it's being considered currently. The cost to be competitive at the current tour level is prohibitive right now for people who want to compete but not make a living off it.

I know I would enter if there is some sort of tiered set up. I can go shoot local sporting clays tournaments for a modest entry fee and win modest prizes. I can also spend more money and enter world championships or national championship level tournaments if I feel I am up to it and the ROI is there for my entry fee.

Reading this thread - I don't know if that exists for walleye. Where's the tournament I can enter for 150 bucks for a single day deal where all I might win is say a new rod, some lures or something?

Provide a ladder for me to climb, a way for me to get hooked on the tournament lifestyle.

Look, I'm going fishing anyway, why not entice me with a reasonable entry for smaller/reasonable prizes as icing on the cake? If I'm going to go out on a Saturday and hit the Bay for the day I'm much more likely to kick in 100 for a local tournament/entry as a side bet than I am 1500 or 4000. Look at the local golf scrambles for ideas. 360 bucks for a foursome for the day, you get a meal and a drawing. Mostly filled by people who are going to golf anyway that day and it's a kicker on the side. Look at your local DU or TU dinners. 80 bucks for dinner but a chance to maybe win a shotgun or some dekes. There has to be stepping stones for guys to get there. You will always have the cadillac tours with cadillac fishermen but to make them more popular and to keep replenishing those participants - you need grass roots, semi-pro or enthusiast level tournaments and clubs.

To me, the recreational angler the idea of making a living off it isn't there, no desire but I would think that it could be fostered in people if they had that one little taste. IMO. Provide the smaller taste to get someone to invest more, jump up in participation. Where else is the angler going to develop the resume to land the sponsors to make the larger/high value tour?
Great post and I couldn't agree more!! Something that the weekend fisherman can do without breaking the bank, whether you have a 16' boat with a 40 HP or a 21' boat with a 300 HP you could compete. Have some events on smaller lakes and some events on bigger, but not huge lakes so everyone can get out on the lake. It's great in theory and I'd be real tempted if something like this popped up in central to northern MN, but making it happen is the tough part.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:45 AM
Wallhanger

Default no small clubs around??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1860Angler View Post
Great post and I couldn't agree more!! Something that the weekend fisherman can do without breaking the bank, whether you have a 16' boat with a 40 HP or a 21' boat with a 300 HP you could compete. Have some events on smaller lakes and some events on bigger, but not huge lakes so everyone can get out on the lake. It's great in theory and I'd be real tempted if something like this popped up in central to northern MN, but making it happen is the tough part.
You guys don't have small grass root walleye clubs in your area? I would of thought being in great walleye country small clubs would be a dime a dozen up there.

Small water tourney's for the weekend guys are where the small clubs shine.Small club allow guys to grow and learn as they compete at a very affordable cost.

If no clubs do exist in your area that put on the smaller tourneys like you describe maybe it would be a great time for you and some friends to get together and start one and focus on the smaller events.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncomfort1 View Post
You guys don't have small grass root walleye clubs in your area? I would of thought being in great walleye country small clubs would be a dime a dozen up there.

Small water tourney's for the weekend guys are where the small clubs shine.Small club allow guys to grow and learn as they compete at a very affordable cost.

If no clubs do exist in your area that put on the smaller tourneys like you describe maybe it would be a great time for you and some friends to get together and start one and focus on the smaller events.
+1

I was just going yo post the same.

Here in Ohio there are at least 3 or 4 inland clubs and 3 lake Erie clubs and tons of opens tournaments. In Ohio it seems Luke there is a tournament about every other weekend and about every weekend in april and may
Old 12-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Wallhanger

Default No really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncomfort1 View Post

There is a few smaller walleye and multi species fishing leagues that maybe do one or two small tournaments a year, but that is all very local, with little or no participation from anybody outside the area. I'm thinking more along the lines of a regional circuit to get out of the local area and see new lakes, but keep it affordable and family friendly.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:58 AM
timburr

mtt and full throttle hold walleye tourneys that are as affordable as they get there is a tourney every other weekend in the summer usually around 60 to 80 teams u can also compete alone but doesnt play into your favor on some bodies of water due to slots and limits.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Minnow

I've was in the full throttle(FT) series this year and I thought it was a blast. A bit of background, I fished a few AYA events with two of my older boys in 2010 & 2011. 2012 I decided to bring it up one more notch so my 11 year old son and I competed in the FT tournaments. I figured we spend tons of time at hockey, baseball and basketball tournaments, why not try a fishing tournament series.

We don't have the top of the line boat or a 300 hp motor. The whole point was to have a fun time with my son who loves fishing. It also gave me the opportunity to fish more with him and put our skills to the test on different bodies of water.

Participants range from Weekend to serious tournament anglers. Its a very good group of people who just enjoy fishing. My son loved it and was one of high lights from the past summer. We were able to fit in the tournaments between traveling baseball and aaa hockey. He can't wait for next year.

It's not a ton of money, some people spend more on pro sport team tickets/food/beverages. I was a bit nervous competing for the first time but the whole experience was very memorable for our family. Get out and try it, maybe even bring your kid.

I haven't tried the MTT but would like to when my son is a bit older.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Minnow

I've was in the full throttle(FT) series this year and I thought it was a blast. A bit of background, I fished a few AYA events with two of my older boys in 2010 & 2011. 2012 I decided to bring it up one more notch so my 11 year old son and I competed in the FT tournaments. I figured we spend tons of time at hockey, baseball and basketball tournaments, why not try a fishing tournament series.

We don't have the top of the line boat or a 300 hp motor. The whole point was to have a fun time with my son who loves fishing. It also gave me the opportunity to fish more with him and put our skills to the test on different bodies of water.

Participants range from Weekend to serious tournament anglers. Its a very good group of people who just enjoy fishing. My son loved it and was one of high lights from the past summer. We were able to fit in the tournaments between traveling baseball and aaa hockey. He can't wait for next year.

It's not a ton of money, some people spend more on pro sport team tickets/food/beverages. I was a bit nervous competing for the first time but the whole experience was very memorable for our family. Get out and try it, maybe even bring your kid.

I haven't tried the MTT but would like to when my son is a bit older.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:50 PM
timburr

mtt is where i got my sickness from started out 6yrs ago and have been hooked since. started out thinking i had to beat the other competitors but soon learned it was it was more about me against the fish. there is a great bunch of guys fishin this circuit and its pretty competitive too. you dont need big bad boats to fish its not the boat that catches the fish you can sign up the morning of the tourney so it gives you a chance to watch the wheather and wind. entry is 220 divide that by 2 and its a small investment to get into if you like to fish and have a chance to win a few bucks.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Keeper

w/ Homebrewer on this one..as long as entry fees are north of four or five hundred i will not participate..i realize that many will say that is ok, just stay home and watch...but i will point out that derby entries are not increasing ,but decreasing...sad...MWC does fairly well w/numbers of anglers..they do not have the big money entry..off my soapbox..bill