Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Common sense isn't so common - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 05:34 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfish1 View Post
All politics aside, freedom to do the wrong thing is and has always been there. I guess that's why they say freedom is not free. It comes with responsibility for yourself and those around you. That's where common sense comes in to the equation. I personally have a lot of patience for new boaters, it's generally rude people that annoy, which, I believe, is where this all started.
Nothing to do with politics, and I know better than most freedom isn't free. I'm reminded every moment I'm awake and frequently when asleep and I'll leave it at that.
I guess I should clarify, I wasn't advocating for anarchy. Just to point out that regulations put in place to fleece the populous of their money that have no other reason aren't the definition of freedom. accepting everything without question then saying you're free to live within those bounds, well that takes a special mind to rationalize I guess, because I can't.

What spreads the pandemic is a dense population.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2021, 05:50 AM
Wallhanger

Well, I'm guessing I should thank you for your service. What are the laws you are referring to? Not looking for an argument, just an education.

Crestliner Sportfish 1750
Johnzuki 115
GMC Sierra
Fish in the box!
Beer on ice.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:40 AM
Wallhanger

You want to see some real pompous arrogance at a ramp try dealing with an old guy launching his sailboat as we were coming in already tied to dock. As I went to retrieve the vehicle/trailer he just swung in, launched, and proceeded rigging the mast/sails for a strong hour on a super busy day at Peninsula Park, Door County. There was no safe way around him with rocks tight to the edge of the ramp, plus a stack of boats coming in behind us. I somehow kept my cool but others at the ramp were urging me under their breath to accidently push him off the dock into the water.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:02 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoffish1 View Post
I could bet you he had a red cap to match his new boat. lust saying

Funny how certain behaviors go hand in hand.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotah Eye View Post
My front livewell drains out right under it. My rear livewells drain out of the stern. I doubt I would get cited for a little water running out the back of the boat since here in SD we are allowed to put ice in the livewells to transport fish as long as the plugs are out. I think this is a good idea since it flushes the livewell drains with fresh water. I believe we are also allowed one gallon of water inside the boat after all plugs are removed.
Think again, at least here in MI. I posed this question to the DNR after our restrictions took effect. Instead of transporting fish in a full livewell, could I transport them in the livewell with ice, either open or closed drain? NOPE!!
Old 07-29-2021, 04:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
Quote:
My front livewell drains out right under it. My rear livewells drain out of the stern. I doubt I would get cited for a little water running out the back of the boat since here in SD we are allowed to put ice in the livewells to transport fish as long as the plugs are out. I think this is a good idea since it flushes the livewell drains with fresh water. I believe we are also allowed one gallon of water inside the boat after all plugs are removed.
Think again, at least here in MI. I posed this question to the DNR after our restrictions took effect. Instead of transporting fish in a full livewell, could I transport them in the livewell with ice, either open or closed drain? NOPE!!
WHY ? are the ice cubes made from lake water !
Old 07-29-2021, 04:55 PM
Wallhanger

There was a reason for me saying "here in SD". Maybe our Game & Fish dept is smart enough to realize that a little treated water dripping on our roads hurts nothing. We are even allowed to transport our minnows to a fish cleaning station to exchange lake water for treated water so we can transport them.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:53 PM
Minnow

Default "Personal boat" space

A month or so ago, someone posted about some fishermen who he felt fished so close to him that he felt that his "space" was being invaded. My husband and I were fishing a large, empty (except for us) bay on Lake Huron. We were just getting bites when a boat started coming straight at us. Sure enough, this boat, emblazoned with 2020 Starcraft Team on the side, stopped within feet of our boat. We glared, but said nothing. My husband put Spot Lock on and we kept fishing. To someone watching, it would've looked like the covered wagon being surrounded by marauders. They proceeded to troll in a small circle around us. Trying to hold my tongue, I was thinking up all kinds of smart things to say... like, "You do know that Lake Huron is a Great Lake...surely there must be somewhere else you could fish." At one point, my dog got up and started barking at them. The guy said, "Is that a Silver Lab?" I wanted to say, "No it's a Weimaraner, apparently you know as little about dogs, as you do about fishing etiquette," or "If my dog is barking at you, you are too close." But, thinking that many folks are packing guns these days, I was polite. Unfortunately, I had to concentrate on that so hard, I didn't catch any fish despite many bites. Fortunately, my husband caught enough for dinner in a short time and we left early. Those guys were still fishing the spot when we left. They ruined a perfectly lovely day for us. This was not a Spring run, where grouping together is acceptable... they just wanted to fish where we were. Common sense and common courtesy seem to be disappearing, it is sad.

Last edited by AsianAngler; 07-29-2021 at 06:00 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-29-2021, 06:16 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfish1 View Post
Well, I'm guessing I should thank you for your service. What are the laws you are referring to? Not looking for an argument, just an education.
no need to guess you should thank me, honestly most vets I know feel awkward when we're thanked.

read the other posts about regulations (not laws) there's a difference. Like Dakotah eyes said, we live in the free state of SD so we aren't beholden to the draconian rules of restricted states.
feel free to read about peoples experiences in states like that and how they have to deal with BS rules that aren't subject to approval by elected officials.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:20 PM
Minnow

Quote:
There was a reason for me saying "here in SD". Maybe our Game & Fish dept is smart enough to realize that a little treated water dripping on our roads hurts nothing. We are even allowed to transport our minnows to a fish cleaning station to exchange lake water for treated water so we can transport them.
Thank God for that. not every state is without common sense nowadays