Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Terrova remote/upgrade to newer I-Pilot?? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 10-17-2017, 01:26 PM
Keeper

Default Terrova remote/upgrade to newer I-Pilot??

I have been having trouble with my 6 or 7 year old Terrova with I-Pilot. At times, more often than not, it doesn't respond to touches from the remote or is very slow to respond, or over steers, or does not always respond to speed changes. Have tried 2 or 3 different new batteries, cleaned the contacts, bending the contact up to get more pressure etc.
My thoughts are now to order a new remote, after talking to tech support at Minnkota it is a shot in the dark, it could be the head and not remote.
Does anyone know if the new latest version of Terrova with improved spot lock etc is available as after market parts? If I have to buy a new head I would rather go that route but the last I had heard the new heads were only available as replacements for new units that failed and not to replace older units like mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2017, 01:38 PM
Wallhanger

Been here- couldn't do that

no they wont interchange with the older models

You will need a new head- I had the same issues, bought a new control... no fix... new head.... was the fix

Good luck-
NPAA #950
Fish On!
Old 10-17-2017, 05:45 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by black white face View Post
Been here- couldn't do that

no they wont interchange with the older models

You will need a new head- I had the same issues, bought a new control... no fix... new head.... was the fix

Good luck-
BUMMER...but not a surprise
Did you have to replace with the older style head or were you able to put the latest model head on?

Last edited by azbohunter; 10-17-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2017, 06:05 PM
Wallhanger

Newest head doesn't work

Honestly you got 6-7 years out of the original it's time for a new one with how much better it is than the OG.

It is much much much better. Maybe sell your current one for parts? Or just sat the cost and enjoy a new motor that's better in every way.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Wallhanger

Default Terrova remote/upgrade to newer I-Pilot??

The new head will not work on your model. You would have to buy the head that your year class calls for .You will have a good working trolling motor with that year models functions. I would save the money and invest it in a new one
NPAA #950
Fish On!
Old 10-17-2017, 06:21 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
Newest head doesn't work

Honestly you got 6-7 years out of the original it's time for a new one with how much better it is than the OG.

It is much much much better. Maybe sell your current one for parts? Or just sat the cost and enjoy a new motor that's better in every way.
Thanks, I'll share this with my wife
Old 10-17-2017, 06:22 PM
Wallhanger

Buy it and ask for forgiveness later.
NPAA #950
Fish On!
Old 10-17-2017, 06:32 PM
Keeper

Default upgrade

I contacted Minn Kota by email earlier this summer to see if there would be an upgrade kit to convert older Terrova to the new improved spotlock. I did receive an email back. They are planning on having upgrade kits available next year.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMW View Post
I contacted Minn Kota by email earlier this summer to see if there would be an upgrade kit to convert older Terrova to the new improved spotlock. I did receive an email back. They are planning on having upgrade kits available next year.
That is good news, think I will limp through the "winter" here in Arizona and see what happens. Maybe they will be available. In honesty I was never disappointed with my Terrova performance until this issue. Then a fishing buddy put a new 36 volt on his pontoon and I am really impressed how spot loc holds that thing. It is much better than mine.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:34 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by black white face View Post
Buy it and ask for forgiveness later.
That's kind of how I got the first one but at 73 years of age I have learned that this is not the best option with my wife