Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
150 Optimax Question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-30-2016, 09:36 AM
Keeper

Default 150 Optimax Question

I keep a boat in Canada and it's used very infrequently--for about 1 week in June on a fishing trip and another week in the fall for moose hunting. The boat has a 2006 150 Optimax. The past 3-4 years, the fuel filter alarm sounds after about 15 gallons of fuel have been run through the motor. I was thinking originally that it was due to poor fuel in that part of Canada, so I was adding 1 can of SeaFoam to every 30 gallons of fuel added to the boat. That didn't remedy the issue.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thanks,

SPTRIX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2016, 10:38 AM
Wallhanger

Water in the tank.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:50 PM
Keeper

Kevin --

Does it make sense that there would still be water if we ran 100 gallons through the motor?

SPTRIX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2016, 03:07 PM
Wallhanger

Have you changed the fuel filter and water sensor lately? Merc suggested it should be changed every year for my 2003 Opti 150. Other possibilities indeed include water per Kevi23's post. The water will sit at the bottom of the tank and eventually prevent gas from getting into the fuel pick-up. Other possibilities include a blocked gas tank vent- check by running with a loose cap and see if the issue goes away. Another possibility is a bad in-line fuel anti-siphon valve that is closing and blocking fuel flow. Third possibility is a bad connection in the sensor wire that attaches to the fuel filter water sensor- my opti had this wire connection get a bit loose over time and it was easily fixed by squeezing it a bit tighter.
Doug
Old 07-01-2016, 07:47 AM
Keeper

Thanks for the additional information.

We had a bunch of work done on the motor over the past couple of years, but I don't have a list of everything that was completed here with me now. I do know that I've changed the fuel filter multiple times over the course of approximately 200 gallons of fuel being run through the motor, which seems wrong.

I appreciate all the advice.

SPTRIX

Tags
150 , fuel filter , issues , optimax