Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Kicker Alignment Issues w/ Tie Bar - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 07-06-2021, 09:19 AM
Wallhanger

Default Kicker Alignment Issues w/ Tie Bar

I have a 300HP V8 Verado and a port mounted 15HP EFI ProKicker that was setup by my dealer new with the Mercury Verado helm steering tie bar kit. The dealer did a terrible job of rigging it, I basically had no ability to turn left the way they initially had it aligned. After adjusting the tie bar as much as possible (shortening it) it’s better, but my left hand turn radius is still twice as large as my right hand turn radius. I had to shorten the bar so much that the alignment of the two motors now have “toe in”. This doesn’t help when using the big motor as a rudder.

I think the only way to correct this is to use a larger bracket(s) with larger offset mounting hole(s). This creates more (or less depending on which hole you use) rotation of the kicker. The kicker already has a small bracket with an offset hole which I’m using. Again, it helped, but not enough. The big motor just has a bracket with a single inline mounting hole.

I’m on a large man made reservoir, a 43,000 acre flooded river channel, so it’s not like the wide open water most of you guys have. So while this water can get big real fast, it’s important to be able to maneuver in relatively tight quarters, narrow channels, etc.

I’m contemplating a remote steering setup but that’s a longer term option. In the interim, can anyone recommend aftermarket brackets with wider offset holes or any other solutions? I’ve searched and I’m coming up empty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2021, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x97N7LRaMbc

https://ezsteer.com/

https://www.amazon.com/E-Z-Steer-Ste...585786&sr=8-13

-----------------------------------
In a nutshell -
With the EZ - Steer system, you have full turning authority from either motor - with either motor up and the other down, or with both motors down.

Best wishes.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:42 AM
Wallhanger

That Amazon link is for the rod only, you will need the whole kit, runs about 325.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2021, 12:26 PM
Wallhanger

What bracket do you have on the kicker?

Do you have a pic?
Old 07-06-2021, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

https://www.boatersplus.com/e-z-stee...ndard-kit.html

If you decide to purchase the E-z-steer ask your dealer for the necessary parts and brackets to fit your boat and motors.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:28 AM
Wallhanger

if I bought a new boat with a new main motor and kicker and it wasn't right I'd take it back to the dealer and show him the problem with turning left then tell him to fix the issue with the kicker. I'd say they just mounted the motor and never checked the steering or adjusted anything. just my opinion.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:47 AM
Wallhanger

I’m in an area where kickers are not common. My dealer never rigged one before so bringing it back to them will just be an exercise in frustration. I did call Mercury to see what tie bar they spec for my motors and they said it’s they call for one made by Panther, Part 55-2700, and it’s a straight bar. Mine came from Triton with a bar that has a manufactured bend in it. So Triton did substitute what Merc calls for but I’m struggling to convince myself that a bend in the tie bar would make any difference. Angled brackets and/or offset holes absolutely would make a difference as the motors are rotating, but I don’t see the rotational geometries changing from a bend in the tie bar which in my mind is usually there just for clearance purposes. I’m researching the 55-2700 Panther tie bar kit to see if the brackets are in fact angled but I can’t find many pics online.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:56 AM
Wallhanger

Hers s pic of my current setup plus Panther’s cut sheet on their 55-2700 tie bar kit. I don’t even see how the Panther would work…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E1698C7B-70DB-42C5-A8AE-72A6938D67B9.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	327722   Click image for larger version

Name:	718AA087-EA89-41E4-AD26-5A1320697A02.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	327724  
Old 07-07-2021, 10:14 AM
Wallhanger

Habitually the dealer use the Seastar HO6001 link kit
Old 07-08-2021, 05:19 AM
Wallhanger

It is important to have the bracket on each motor the same length from the pivot point of each. If one is a lot longer than the other the rate of turn will be different and this will cause the misalignment. The bends in the bar are to eliminate contact points when ever a motor is tipped independent of the other. It can be a lot of trial and error but the key is still the brackets on each motor, they have to be the same distance from the turn pivot shaft. I started with a straight panther bar. It is not straight now but works. I made my own brackets there may be some you can buy, just remember length from pivot.
Have a great day.
Jim