Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I'm old enough to remember - Page 13 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2021, 03:58 AM
holliswuzamember

Do you remember

99/100% PURE? it was IVORY soaps statement on all their ads and written on the packaging on each bar,

The Government regulators pushed by the other soaps makers for years kept asking WHAT is 99/1000% pure?,..I believe they don't make that claim anymore. They also made a big deal that THEIR soap was so pure that it floats,..until it was pointed out it was because they whipped more air into the bars in manufacturing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2021, 04:38 AM
holliswuzamember

Have you noticed that you can tell an old movie 30s,40s and most of the 50s,.by the voices especially of the female stars,....their diction, and tone. Very different than today's stars. I have to think its not their real voices but something they turn on for the camera.

At least one male I can think of that does this. Vincent Price who I believe was born in St Louis, ,..sounds like a form of an English accent (to me)
Old 12-20-2021, 07:51 AM
Slot Fish

Penny loafers
Old 12-20-2021, 07:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem-1 View Post
Penny loafers

And people actually put pennies in them. To account for inflation they would be dime loafers
Old 12-20-2021, 07:49 PM
holliswuzamember

Wow,..lots of good ones here,.I'm still laid up for a while and some keep coming to mind,..I apologize if I've done too much. But a couple more came to mind,

Don't know if it was more a regional thing, but anyone remember FIZZIES? They were like an Alka Seltzer tablet that had flavoring in them. You dropped them in water and it was supposed to make a soda like drink,..probably not good for health ingredients. But relentless advertising them on kid shows made kids bug their parents for them,...me included,..my impression was less than good,..tasted chemically and just not good,..I think most kids felt the same,..interest died out pretty soon as I remember,

But then there were also flavor straws,..you were supposed to use them in drinking milk,.I remember chocolate and strawberry but I think there were more flavors,..
They were even worse. I just had to dissect one and found out they had a little cardboard like strip,.that was impregnated with the" flavor",..same thing,.. chemical like taste,..sweetness probably sweetness via saccharine,. not nearly as good as regular chocolate milk,that kids liked in those days,..again, not healthy choices all around...
Old 12-20-2021, 08:36 PM
Wallhanger

Fizzies were around until the FDA banned them in 2016. They were a off shoot of a drug companies research into making Bromo-seltzer taste better.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:38 AM
Slot Fish

Default one more for the list

Road flares marking construction at night. Round kerosene flare would burn all night, about the side of a softball. Long before long life batteries or solar was available. Sometimes they would get knocked over and cause a fire. Early 50's or so

Great list, keep the ideas coming.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:24 AM
holliswuzamember

Right on the edge of my memory banks, and probably because I have an older brother I was introduced to these two guys. Lash Larue, and Whip Wilson. Two Cowboys that were masters of the bull whip.

I think that Lash was more prolific in the movies. These were the days of the singing Cowboys. I'm pretty sure Wilson did sing, not sure about memories of lash doing it.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:58 PM
Wallhanger

I remember Santa bringing me a Shakespeare Wonder Cast 1773 reel for Xmas and going out in the snow to practice casting.

https://auctions.theanglingmarketpla...nder-cast-1773
Old 12-21-2021, 05:13 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliswuzamember View Post
Right on the edge of my memory banks, and probably because I have an older brother I was introduced to these two guys. Lash Larue, and Whip Wilson. Two Cowboys that were masters of the bull whip.

I think that Lash was more prolific in the movies. These were the days of the singing Cowboys. I'm pretty sure Wilson did sing, not sure about memories of lash doing it.

The name Whip Wilson reminded me of the comedian Flip Wilson and If I remember one of his lines. " Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes clean to the bone".