Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Love my 05' Pro-V.....but....? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-16-2015, 07:33 AM
Wallhanger

Default Love my 05' Pro-V.....but....?

Bought my 1800 IFS PRO-V new in 06 as a carryover. It has been nothing short of awesome. Since I was still able to get it with a Yamaha, I am still running strong.....however, now that the kids are growing up and don't use it much for recreation...been thinking about getting a big glass tiller or maybe a glass full windshield boat.

I am really intrigued with the Larson boats and although don't see them around here, was wondering if anyone has an opinion on them now since they have been around with their fishing series for awhile...never have liked the Ranger layout at all.....both Lund and Ranger Glass have priced themselves over the top.

Is their price that much more justified in value and quality over those Larson type brands? Pretty hard to believe they are but this is why I ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2015, 12:48 PM
Wallhanger

The reason Larsons are more affordable is they use a completely different process building the hulls. It's more like a machine laminated hull instead of hand laid glass. Not saying one is better than the other, just explaining why one is cheaper than the others.

Rangers, Lunds, Skeeters, Warriors, etc are all expensive, but they also hold their value well.

Your "cost per year" from depreciation is generally less from the more mainstream brands.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:21 PM
Wallhanger

B-Man, thanks for the information to consider. You are correct in the resale value and I agree on the cost/value over the life of the purchase and is definitely something I will consider.

From what I have seen, I really like the way Larson has designed their fishing series and I am intrigued with the impression of overall quality others may have experienced that own one of these boats. I do know Larson is known for a good quality fast hull in their leisure boats but don't see a lot of information on their fishing series.

My Pro V is virtually the same as the 2014's and for another 15-20K more than I paid for mine when it was new, I wouldn't be seeing a whole lot of change. My boat is still in great condition but since I am thinking about going to a big tiller, I thought I'd check out the other brands. Thanks for any additional feedback...Lund still makes a great boat and I won't hesitate if I find it fits me this time around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2015, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Hawg,
I believe that a person named "Allan" owns one and has posted some reports on it. He seems very pleased with the boat.

Be safe
Old 08-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Wallhanger

My advice is : Simply be objective, when comparing the tried and proven ProV, developed through decades of hard core guide testing and Professional tournament use, by a highly respected R and D department with unsurpassed experience vs this the Larson.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:39 AM
Wallhanger

I had an 18ft proV dual console with a 175 verado. Awesome boat! I fish big water (green bay, lake Michigan, Winnebago, poygan ect.) and it handled it great. I was in the same boat as you as far as wanting to get back into a tiller(18ft). I couldn't leave lund for the fact that I have owned a 08 pro v and a 05 explorer and both were awesome. Lund personally has not given me a reason to buy another boat. I have not had a switch fail, pump go out, any leaks ect. Everything has held up on all my boats 100% even pounding them on big water. This winter I bought a 1825 proguide with a 90 merc and I love it! I actually like it more than my pro V! It fishes way better without the windshields.

I also like the Larson tillers, kingfishers, back trollers, ect but I have zero reason to not buy another lund.

When I sold my 16 ft explorer with a 60 hp merc tiller I sold it in 1 week(sold in march) for 1500 less than I paid for it 3 years later. When I recently sold my proV it took about 1.5 months but I was trying to sell it dec/jan... I could have gotten alittle more I think but wanted it gone in time to find a tiller before the rivers opened up. Basically its a breeze selling a lund if its well taken care of. In my mind lund and ranger are the only boats that have such huge followings that selling them isn't an issue.

Last edited by teamlund; 08-17-2015 at 01:43 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:02 AM
Keeper

I've been a die hard tiller fan for 20 years now and have fished out of the majority of them. I recently drove the new Yarcraft 2095 BTX on Mille Lacs with Eddy Lyback and will be purchasing a 20' glass tiller this spring....still not sure which one. I have fished out of the Larson 20ft tiller several times and I'm not a huge fan. Yes, the boat fishes very well, tracks nice, is soft riding etc. BUT, the storage is not to my liking at all, not dry at all, and the overall setup of the interior just isn't up to par IMO. But then again, they aren't 60K either. If you are looking for a fishable boat then no doubt it's good, but when I'm looking at spending that kind of money, the details make the difference. Good luck with your search. On a side note, the new Yarcraft was awesome!
Old 08-17-2015, 07:34 AM
Slot Fish

Ihad the forerunner, with VEC technology..a fincraft..boat was solid, tracked beautifully..but agreeing with other poster the interior layout was poorly designed and the seats , carpet etc felt a little cheap. Of course i am not a fan of lund either, the two i had did not measure up to other boats i had prior to or after..my understanding is they are using treated lumber in their floors now..that should help...see lund ,like ranger..high in cost with little to make them to stand out from others in the class....
Old 08-17-2015, 09:10 AM
Wallhanger

I had an '05 1900 Pro-V. I really enjoyed the fishability and layout of the boat but struggled with it in other areas. It also held it's value very well.

I researched boats high and low and narrowed it down to a 2012-13 1975 Pro-V, 2009-11 Ranger 619/620's and the 2015 Skeeter WX 1910. If Triton and YarCraft dealers were in the area, I would have looked at those too. You really need to crawl inside all these boats, explore the layout and get on the water with them. They all have pros and cons but you'll find "the one."